HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2010, 04:46 PM
Joined Aug 2010
4 Posts
Help!
XP-7A ESC with turbo ace 14000 kv motor problem

I am having trouble converting my 4#3B heli to a brushless main motor. I am using a XP-7A ESC with a turbo ace 14000 kv motor. The motor isnt starting properly. When you go from min to max throttle the main rotor just shudders and jerks itself around a few times then stops. I have tried the 14000kv motor briefly with the tail esc I have (wk-wst-10a-lt) and it seems to run ok. The XP-7A ESC can be programmed ok through the tone menus, so it isnt completely dead, and it must be receiving the throttle signal OK.

I am using a RX2604C receiver. The servos and rear tail motor are all working fine.

Should I just try another XP-7A ESC, and see if it works then? Or could it be a problem with the motor?
EHonda is offline Find More Posts by EHonda
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2010, 05:39 PM
"you'll play to live "
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Sep 2009
1,705 Posts
Have you try to solder directly motor wires on Esc's?
Alwayscrash is offline Find More Posts by Alwayscrash
Old Aug 11, 2010, 06:18 PM
Australia...we live inverted.
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
Please let me know the settings you have programmed and ^^^ is definately a good idea.

Amp
Ampdraw is offline Find More Posts by Ampdraw
Old Aug 11, 2010, 09:42 PM
Joined Aug 2010
4 Posts
I have programmed the ESC according to the default settings as stated in the datasheet here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3264307 , and have soldered the three motor connections straight to the motor wires.

It seems to do the same thing every time, it spins the main motor around in a jerking fashion 7 times before giving up. Then when I throttle minimum to maximum again it does the same thing again.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 09:53 PM
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
Main criteria of importance is
Fast start
as well as suitable timing. Default is mid so that should be ok...maybe try the others. Also you have to set for throttle range.

However before you do anything else...
Are you confident soldering ie are the esc>motor wires spot on?

Is the motor disengaged from the main gear for the moment and are you sure the mount csrews (if you have it mounted) aren't too long and have hit the windings.

Lastly what is the power in circuit like?

Good pack (charged), decent wires, good connector, powered straight from pack not through rx?

Amp
Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:05 PM
Joined Jan 2010
432 Posts
Motor seems to be ok as you says the motor works properly with walkera tail esc.

>I have programmed the ESC according to the default settings as stated in the datasheet here

Did you try other setting, not default setting, especially AdvanceT(Timing Mode : Low, Middle and High) and Start (Fast, Soft and Very Soft)?
You should turn throttle trim on the tx all way down.

If you have another xp-7a esc, it will be a good thing to try it.

good luck,

didn't notice your post, Ampdraw, sorry...
yosi is offline Find More Posts by yosi
Last edited by yosi; Aug 11, 2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 01:40 AM
Joined Aug 2010
4 Posts
OK, tried all different timing and start mode combinations to no avail.

I bought another XP-7A ESC and it does exactly the same thing.

I have set the max throttle level properly.

The power wires from the battery are soldered directly to the large power wires going in to the ESC. I have fully charged the battery.

There is no problem with the motors physical mounting, as the tail ESC I tried worked fine driving the main rotor blades.

Any more ideas where I could be going wrong?
Old Sep 16, 2010, 01:59 AM
Joined Aug 2010
4 Posts
OK, the XP-7A ESC seems to drive the tail motor, however it does often have problems starting as well. Maybe I should look for another brand of ESC?
Old Sep 16, 2010, 02:05 AM
los angeles,ca
Joined May 2010
2,521 Posts
which one is turbo ace 14000kv Are sure you're using the right ESC?
vronny is offline Find More Posts by vronny
Old Sep 16, 2010, 03:16 AM
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
This motor?
http://www.wowhobbies.com/turboacebl...tpinion-3.aspx
Made by AEO.

Should run fine on the XP7A. I have personally tested this combo in a 4g3.

What packs are you running?

If the wk tail esc runs it to full throttle with the blades on the heli then you have defined the motor to be ok.

The XP7A's are well made. Being the Wk esc is factory soldered with plugs etc and you have done some of the soldering on the two XP7A's....maybe you have a cold solder joint in both XP7 cases. Or have incorrect/insufficient wiring in both cases.

I'm sure you know....many of the XP7A esc come with a normal servo plug off one end. That is the input end. This is different to the wk esc which uses the normal servo plug as an output.

I presume you are providing power to the XP7A directly from lipo with decent wires?

Amp