SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 11, 2010, 05:36 PM
Joined Feb 2010
152 Posts
Discussion
3D noobie ???

Background= I am a full scale pilot w/ aerobatic experience in a Christian Eagle. Fairly new to RC. Flew a Nitroplanes Skytrainer a few times and beat it to chunks(mostly cause the landing gear sucks). Have a sim and have used it for 5-6 months mostly 3D. Now flying a slow stick fairly well. Not into edf jets, warbirds...mehh. All I want to do is fly 3D. I am def looking for EPP as it is (questionably) indestructable. My thoughts are the Red Eagle Gee Bee or Extra 300. Even if I beat them into packing material, I can afford to get another. I figure that I should practice what I want to fly...right? What and where is the best advice for a sub $100.00 kit. I have a perfect motor, ESC, radio, RX, possibly servos and battery. I also have a small but empty, grassy park to practice in. Thanks in advance.
mtnpilot is offline Find More Posts by mtnpilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2010, 05:56 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,023 Posts
Check E-Foamy.com. Great products, great company, good prices. EPP isn't totally indestructible, just use Welders glue for your build and repairs and believe me they take a heck of a beating. Check out the threads on the 42" Edge, SBach, and Yak55 for a 16-20 oz. plane. My personal favorite is the 42"Edge, if you get the 32" version and plan on flying ouside I really like my beefy version of the edge, very strong plane.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Aug 11, 2010, 07:32 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
What size motor, esc, batteries and servo's do you have? That'll help determine the best plane.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Aug 12, 2010, 03:43 PM
Joined Feb 2010
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
Check E-Foamy.com. Great products, great company, good prices. EPP isn't totally indestructible, just use Welders glue for your build and repairs and believe me they take a heck of a beating. Check out the threads on the 42" Edge, SBach, and Yak55 for a 16-20 oz. plane. My personal favorite is the 42"Edge, if you get the 32" version and plan on flying ouside I really like my beefy version of the edge, very strong plane.

Thanks for the advice! I just got off the phone w/ Mike from efaomy. Great guy...speaks English if you can imagine that. He`s gonna get me set up w/ the 42" Yak w/ servos, motor mount (for my motor) for under $100.00 shipped. Also available for help if I need it. The nice thing he said was that he will not be painting for the next two weeks as he is UPGRADING HIS INSTRUCTION MANUEL!
Hear that China?
Old Aug 12, 2010, 05:14 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,023 Posts
You won't regret it. Just keep some tubes of Welders glue with you. You can get it at Lowes usually. If you can't find it you can use Household Goop as well.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 06:07 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Very good plane/vendor choice! You'll love the 42" Yak. I've built one from his plans and it's one of my favorite planes.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Aug 13, 2010, 04:08 PM
Joined Feb 2010
152 Posts
Is there a better EPP for a beginner? I have tons of 3D sim time, some 4 ch. time on a high wing trainer and a Slow Stick. I do tend to crash and while I know that EPP is not indestructable, it is the style of flying that I want to do. If anyone knows of a better 3D EPP trainer, please let me know.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 05:40 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,023 Posts
Just set your Yak on low throws, it is a very easy plane to fly. The only thing to remember is it isn't self correcting so you have to counteract any action you tell it to do, this is actually an easy thing to get used to and in the long run it works better so you advance your aerobatic and 3D skills. Don't worry about crashing, this plane can take a serious beating and still fly great. The best thing to enhance the durability is to use the motor mount that Mike sells. The plastic type where the disc is removable from the square part that glues into the fuse.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 05:46 PM
Joined Feb 2010
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
Just set your Yak on low throws, it is a very easy plane to fly. The only thing to remember is it isn't self correcting so you have to counteract any action you tell it to do, this is actually an easy thing to get used to and in the long run it works better so you advance your aerobatic and 3D skills. Don't worry about crashing, this plane can take a serious beating and still fly great. The best thing to enhance the durability is to use the motor mount that Mike sells. The plastic type where the disc is removable from the square part that glues into the fuse.
Pefrect! Thanks. I plan to sue everything but my own Tx/RX from him.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 06:02 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,023 Posts
Also first thing to master is to learn to harrier. Go out in a light wind and point it into the wind, get your nose up and just let it hang there. Wind surfing in harrier is fun and teaches you throttle and elevator control without getting too crazy at first.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 08:45 AM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,924 Posts
mtnpilot, sounds like you might have made your choice, but I thought I would just throw this out there. I have been practicing with this one http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/model/Sn...2-BoxLabel.jpg and I am makeing very good progress. It comes fully painted as shown, and you can get for less than $100, using your own electrics.

Also, I recently got this http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/41quot-Ed...e_p_14908.html . It was very easy to build, and it is easy to fly - nothing fancy yet, just basic circuits and very elementary 3D stuff. Unfortunately it is out of stock - does a hobby exist where more of what we want is out of stock?? - but it is a real beauty, and a wonderful beginner plane, but very capable of a lot more as I learn.

Again, just a thought to complicate your decision process. lol

Hope this helps.

Steve
sgomes is offline Find More Posts by sgomes
Old Aug 15, 2010, 02:03 PM
Joined Oct 2005
287 Posts
Join us on the Clik-XL thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=703121
PropSpinner is offline Find More Posts by PropSpinner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Springer Tug Build
Old Aug 16, 2010, 04:45 PM
Joined Feb 2010
152 Posts
I have next to no experience building and when I viewed the build thread, it has me concerned. Mind you, I did not have the parts in front of me....but??? Can I build this properly? I do not care if it takes a week, I want to build it right.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 05:51 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,023 Posts
Very easy plane to build.I just use 2 very straight sections of 2x4 wood about 3 feet long to sort of cradle the fuse as I go to keep things square. I take my time and let the glue dry thoroghly in between steps. If you are doing welders hinges they are easy, or if using the fiber packing tape just put a layer of welders on the foam first and let it dry for a half hour and then stick the tape down and it will stay put very strong. If not using welders, household goop works just as well. I usually paint mine before I assemble it. Just use enough paint to make a pattern that makes it easy to distinguish the top of the plane from the bottom. I leave the bottom white and put 3 black stripes 1 inch wide on each wing, works very well for me. If you have questions you can just pm me and I'll get back as soon as I can.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 05:16 PM
Joined Feb 2010
152 Posts
Any advice on setting dual rates (is 75% good?) and expo? Any and all advice is welcome.