SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 11, 2010, 06:44 AM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,770 Posts
Build Log
Pitts Python - New plane from RCfoam.

I enjoyed working with Paul Blymyer of Rcfoam on the Ligeti Startos. When Paul said he was working on a Pitts Python to kit in the very near future, I quickly volunteered to build another one of his designs that is soon to be available.

The Pitts is a full fuselage foamy. Unlike flat foamies, this is a much stronger construction method which also gives you a place to hide the radio equipment. By sacrificing a slight amount of weight compared to a flat design, it gives the build/pilot a tough plane that can withstand more abuse than could be expected. Between Paul and myself, we talked about a few minor changes but overall this has turned out to be a pretty sweet build. It goes together fairly fast but with the performance the plane is capable of, I would not recommend it to a beginner.

I am well along in the build and will add photos over the next few days of mine. as well as photos Paul has taken of his build. I have not committed aviation with mine yet but a couple of prototypes have flown so I do not foresee any flight issues. As I get things together I will update with specs and video in the near future.
eliworm is offline Find More Posts by eliworm
Last edited by eliworm; Aug 11, 2010 at 09:32 AM. Reason: spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2010, 03:30 AM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,770 Posts
I'm going to show the highlights of the build as this plane is not for a beginner. The construction is pretty easy but you may want to have a foamy or two under your belt.

I started construction by epoxying the spars into the wings. It's pretty standard for a foamy and presented no issues. 5 minute epoxy was used.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 03:35 AM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,770 Posts
View of finished spars in the wing as well as the stab and struts.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 08:51 AM
This is high school for you...
Longmont, CO
Joined Jan 2009
244 Posts
That is an amazing airplane! I look forward to hearing to about the flight characteristics!
A10 man is offline Find More Posts by A10 man
Old Aug 14, 2010, 10:43 AM
Fly, Crash, Cry...
United States, CA, Placentia
Joined Jun 2007
511 Posts
Hi eliworm, the foam looks like EPP, correct? Thanks.
hongrn is offline Find More Posts by hongrn
Old Aug 14, 2010, 01:34 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hongrn View Post
Hi eliworm, the foam looks like EPP, correct? Thanks.
Hi hongrn,
No it's depron. Most likely the lighting or my inferior camera skills coming through.

Jim
Old Aug 14, 2010, 02:10 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,770 Posts
In these photos I show some of Paul's build with mine as his photos show some real good detail.

One thing about cnc router cutting is the holes and slots are slightly rounded in the corners due to the fact that a router bit is round. At first I was thinking I will have to sand all the corners square. I then decided to leave them as is and just insert the parts as I go with out sanding. This has proven to work great as there is enough give in the foam to not have to even worry about it. My recommendation is to save yourself a step and press on as it hasn't been an issue.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 01:12 PM
"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"
USA, GA, Macon
Joined Oct 2008
853 Posts
I had the pleasure of stopping by RCfoam two weeks ago and was able to see one of the prototype fuselages for the Pitts. It is truly an impressive plane. I look forward to seeing some flight video.
Evel Knievel is offline Find More Posts by Evel Knievel
Old Aug 19, 2010, 03:23 AM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,770 Posts
OK, I have made some good progress on the Pitts so I want to get caught up on some photos. I realized I did not take any good photos joining the two fuselage half's together but it's pretty straight forward and the photos here give you a good idea of the assembly.

Jim
Old Aug 20, 2010, 01:19 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,770 Posts
OK, I got the Pitts ready and test flown. I still need to take care of some detail work like the hatch hold downs and get some color. The rest of the construction was pretty easy with everything standard as far as the radio goes. Here are some photos from this morning before the test flight.

Jim
Old Aug 20, 2010, 01:41 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,770 Posts
Flying the test flight.

Test flight went great except for one thing. Right after getting in the air my wheel came off. I knew I should have put loc-tight on the threads. I cannot believe how effective the rudder is on this thing. Great authority, I think I will add a bit more expo there. Rolls are very axel and fast. I have all the aileron I can get with 70% expo.

I can hover but I am not a pro. I had no trouble hovering this plane. It would easily snap and lock into a hover. Hmmm, can't wait to play with that more in the future.

I made a few approaches for landing knowing I had to pull off a Bob Hoover style landing without the wheel. She slows nice and I got her down with no damage although I did end up on the nose.

Specs fro the test flight'

Emax motor 2215/25 with 10x4-7 pulling 175 watts.
Scorpion 25 amp ESC.
Emax servos 9gram.
Battery G3 1300 3 cell.
Weight without battery 12.6oz
Old Aug 20, 2010, 01:44 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,770 Posts
Fellow flyer Biker Steve had a set of wheels at the field so we put them on for the next flight.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 07:10 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,770 Posts
I finally have some color on her. My wife and daughter did the work for me there. I hope to get a video soon.

Jim