SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by fhpe77, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 08:46 PM
Model Flight Addict
Erial, NJ
Joined Jul 2009
390 Posts
Discussion
Cheap servos

I learned my lesson when a five dollar, 10g servo stopped working in my HZ Super Cub after just one month of service. It actually passed the preflight check then failed in flight. Fortunately it was an aileron servo, so I was able to land safely. What if it had been the elevator servo? Not good. Since I didn't want to take any chances, I replaced both aileron servos with the now out of production Futaba S3113. What a great micro servo. 20.8 oz-in and 0.10 sec/60 deg at 6 volts. They've been in place for a year now and still work perfectly. The cost, $17 each. That was when I decided to never go cheap on servos again.

Stevens Aeromodel recommended the Hitec HS-55 for the Shaft 400. Since I was already familiar with the HS-65 series, I figured the 55's would be of good quality and give me the longevity that I look for in a servo. I have to say that I'm disappointed with Hitec. The Shaft's rudder servo never centered consistently. One of the aileron servos started twitching after two months of service. I plopped down another $15 for a replacement. A couple of weeks ago I took the Shaft up after performing a preflight check and within a couple of minutes in the air, the other aileron servo stopped working. At that point I had $75 into five servos that were junk. The solution was to do what I should have done in the first place. $90 and a week later I had four new HS-65HB's installed. Wow! What a difference! The controls feel more precise and are much quicker. The roll rate went from insane to off the chart. The rudder centers properly now. I bet these suckers last longer than a couple of months. It seems to me that Hitec can charge $15 for $5 class servo just because their name is on it. The moral of my rant is: Stay away from cheap servos!

Oh, and check out my video of the new servos in action:

Stevens Aeromodel Shaft 400 (11 min 19 sec)
fhpe77 is offline Find More Posts by fhpe77
Last edited by fhpe77; Aug 17, 2010 at 10:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:54 PM
Is it suppose to do that?
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,083 Posts
Cheap Servos

Hey FHPE:

You are so correct. My father was in this hobby over 40 years before his passing, but told me never chince on servos, they are your life blood. I did not take the great guru's lesson and tried Hobby City's 9g servos, and I must say they worked, but just yesterday I did a bench test (did listen to pop on this one) before flight and sure enough my Turnigy 9g was a goner. I replaced it with a Futaba S3113 and works like a dream....I think you can get them at Tower Hobby still.....

Sean
moscow580 is online now Find More Posts by moscow580
Old Aug 13, 2010, 08:32 AM
Model Flight Addict
Erial, NJ
Joined Jul 2009
390 Posts
Your father was a wise man, indeed. I was surprised that a Hitec servo could be so crappy. Quite disappointing, especially when most of their other servos are great. Good to know about the S3113. I was told that the S3114 replaces that, but they are tiny. Not that that means anything other that fitting them in a location sized for a 9-10g servo may require some mods.
fhpe77 is offline Find More Posts by fhpe77
Old Sep 03, 2010, 10:05 AM
Dleep
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
Joined Oct 2006
246 Posts
The HS-65s also have 5 degrees of extra throw in each direction, than most servos. And the resolution is very smmmoooth.
Though I do realy like the china sevos, over the HS-55s for EPP foamies,
Dleep
dleep is offline Find More Posts by dleep