HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2010, 02:57 PM
Have Guitar Will Travel
The Digital Domain
Joined Nov 2008
1,369 Posts
Discussion
Fix my Mcx or purchase a Mcx2 ?

Well, after 2 years, hundreds of crashes, and a dozen or so repairs, my Mcx continually spins counterclockwise. (yes, I trimmed it out to the max)
I suspect one of the motors is going bad, and I don't have the soldering skills to replace it. By the time I ship it to Horizon hobby and pay for the repairs, do you think I just might be better off buying a BNF Mcx2 ? I do like having a small indoor coax.
TravisBean is offline Find More Posts by TravisBean
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2010, 03:07 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,274 Posts
Why don't you just replace the motors? They are like 9 bucks, and they just plug into the 5 n 1 board, unless it is different on the mcx. I have the mcx2, so I don't know. You can find a bind n fly on ebay for like 89 free shipping. I might just buy one for back up. The 5 n 1 is like 60 bucks,,,so for 29 more, you get everything else...I say that is a good deal.
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Aug 10, 2010, 03:14 PM
Have Guitar Will Travel
The Digital Domain
Joined Nov 2008
1,369 Posts
OK, I see the motors just plug in.(I don't know why I thought otherwise) I'll try some new motors.
And while we are on the subject, is it worth upgrading to a Mcx2 if you already have a Mcx?
Old Aug 10, 2010, 03:40 PM
Have Guitar Will Travel
The Digital Domain
Joined Nov 2008
1,369 Posts
If the heli is spinning counterclockwise, which of the 2 motors is likely going bad? (drivers side motor or passenger side motor)
Old Aug 10, 2010, 04:08 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,015 Posts
Unplug one of the motors, and see if the mCX piro''s ccw more or less.

If mCX piro's more ccw, then the unplugged motor is the one that makes the mCX piro cw. If the mCX piro's less ccw (piro's cw), then the unplugged motor is the one that makes the mCX piro ccw.
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Old Aug 11, 2010, 02:12 PM
Have Guitar Will Travel
The Digital Domain
Joined Nov 2008
1,369 Posts
Thanks i812.

Found this thread after googling "Whats the difference between the Mcx and Mcx2". + rep to Michael Heer for an excellent review.
From what I can see, the Mcx2 looks to be about a 30% improvement over the Mcx (ballpark).

I am relatively new to being a regular on this forum, and when google leads me right back to this site, with such an excellent and detailed answer to my original question.............well, I must tip my hat to you guys.
Last edited by TravisBean; Aug 11, 2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 02:51 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
Unplug one of the motors, and see if the mCX piro''s ccw more or less.

If mCX piro's more ccw, then the unplugged motor is the one that makes the mCX piro cw. If the mCX piro's less ccw (piro's cw), then the unplugged motor is the one that makes the mCX piro ccw.
I haven't flown my mCX in over a year, but I was thinking about your post.

The answers I gave you were to diagnose hardware problems. Some other solutions could be "operator" errors:

Motor(s) plugged in backwards would cause too much ccw or cw
Main Rotor Blades installed backwards/upside down would also cause ccw or cw

The mCX manual probably instructs operator to verify both motors are spinning in proper direction.

Also once it is determined motors are spinning in proper direction, next verify the blades are installed properly by verifying they "bite" into the air

(air) \blade\ << motor spin direction

The combination of: force of the motor, pitch/angle of the blade, and "resistance of the air is what causes upward lift.
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Old Aug 11, 2010, 03:27 PM
Joined Aug 2010
51 Posts
MCX2 is a great heli and cheap.
marthinw is offline Find More Posts by marthinw
Old Aug 11, 2010, 05:12 PM
Burlington ON
Joined Jun 2010
11 Posts
My MCX is doing the same constant left hand slow spin. I call it the NASCAR heli. I replaced the motors, no change, new outer shaft and gear, still no change. Different 5 in 1, no change, new blades no change, I even tried a new Microheli alum. swashplate, what's left to try?. I think I'm getting a new MCX2 before winter hits.
CrashCanuck is offline Find More Posts by CrashCanuck