HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2010, 09:49 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,192 Posts
Build Log
Dornier DO-335 Co-Build for Stacker & Morgan

Having completed Stacker's wonderful B-24, I talked him into a co-build with me on the last and fastest German WW II fighter, the Pfeil.
Dave is doing the plans, cowls, motor mounts, retracts, and whatever else I can talk him into.
I'm doing the fuse in fiberglass and the wings, hot wired and sheeted.
OK, so he's doing most of the work, I'm a lucky guy.
Size will be 1/11th scale, ws of about 50".
Don't know about Dave but I'm leaning toward the A Model version vs the B2 which had the huge cannon in the wings.
I used the hot wire to cut out sections from his plans for the fuse, glued together and then various sections added to round it out.
I'm doing this FG fuse as I usually do, in reverse order than others do it.
I make a plug and then glass over it, cut it off the plug and then glue the seam back together. This method basically transfers all the work on the tail end in that you have to sand a lot and finish the outside unlike making molds that would come out with a final finish. I like instant gratification and this gets me there quicker.
After the plug is shaped I harden it with epoxy, two coats. It doesn't have to be perfect because the glass will be laying over it and the finish is on the outside.
That's is where I am now, one coat of epoxy curing. Will sand later and add the second coat.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by J Morgan; Aug 11, 2010 at 05:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:01 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,116 Posts
Subscribing...

I need to get on the hot-wire band-wagon instead of building-up everything from FFF.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:07 PM
MPP
In Unusual Attitude Recovery
Danbury CT (DXR)
Joined Oct 2005
2,152 Posts
J and Stack,

This is going to be great. No choice on retracts so you better get lot's of practice on the B-24 . This is a great size. couple of Vario props might help with the push pull set up. Looking forward to watching this build.

Subbed in,

Mark
MPP is offline Find More Posts by MPP
Old Aug 10, 2010, 02:05 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,192 Posts
Warhead,
Try it, always good to expand your horizons.

Mark,
Yep, have to case on the retracts here. Stacker is also doing the power system workup and I think we're using the Parkzone 3 bladers from their Me-109G. The motors are BC-3536/9 910kv from RC Timer. Dave can correct me if I'm wrong.

I got an early start on you guys, started about a week ago. My lovely assistant( read that also as wife) and I cut the wing cores the other day and I've just finished trimming and sanding the wings after sheeting. They came out nice. She is really getting the hang of it! I put 3 degrees of washout in them, nothing like washout to tame the savage beast.
My process in skinning is a little different than most. I get new sheets in, don't trim for straight edges( use the factory edge) tape them together tightly and use Gorrilla Glue( skim coat) to adhere them. I don't sand the balsa skins or the hot wire cut cores. I feel the slightly rougher surfaces help the glue adhere the skins.Fast and easy. Don't try this with regular masking tape, it can stick too hard and actually tear the balsa when you take it off. And yes I know because I've done it. I like the 3M low tack blue painter's tape. It's the real smooth tape, not the blue with the lizard like skin on the outside.
Here's how I did it. The wings are sheeted with 1/16" contest balsa and will sand beautifully before I glass them.

J
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Aug 10, 2010, 07:37 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
I'm In!! This is gona be a great build! Yes John, you have the jump on it again... I am going to move to either your way of doing the fuse or to the bulkhead and skin method, the current build I'm on I think will be the last box build unless I want something quick and dirty. PINK FOAM!!!! very cool!!!!! I can't get that down here, it is all just the boring blue here,,, guess not enough folks around that like pink to warrent carrying it in stock! w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Aug 10, 2010, 07:42 PM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,268 Posts
Jumpin in with this one...Love the Arrow!...
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Aug 10, 2010, 08:03 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,233 Posts
While not much of a warbird fan, I'll sign on to learn some building techniques - and I must admit, the Pfeil IS a neat bird!

BTW, I hope you don't have any loose dogs out marking territory while your spackle dries. ;-)

Geoff
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Aug 10, 2010, 08:35 PM
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,296 Posts
Looks super John! Bet that fuse will scare away the birds also ;-)

Prop and power system are the same as the HE219 I've been building. Props are the ones used on the Parkzone ME109. Hope to have the 219 finished for Vegas so we can show them together as they are the same 1/11th scale.

If the Do335 works out there is a rumor of a ME410 down the road.

Keep hammering away J.

Cheers--Stacker
stacker is online now Find More Posts by stacker
Old Aug 10, 2010, 08:57 PM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,295 Posts
Gawd, the two of you teamed up boggles the imagination. You're going to be cranking out planes like Willow Run before you're through. Love watching you guys work. This will be fun.

Jeff
jhspring is online now Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Aug 10, 2010, 09:27 PM
Master of the figure 9
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2004
2,673 Posts
Subscribed
Old Man is online now Find More Posts by Old Man
Old Aug 10, 2010, 09:32 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,192 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for the nice comments.
I found a few pics I had forgotten to post. The wing was cut in two sections for each wing. Much easier that way and we, the Mrs ( aka Mrs CNC) and me got really nice cuts. Then I glued the saddles and wing cores together.
I have also formed the rudders and stabs. I used two layer of 9mm Depron for them. I just finished installing the tips and sanding the airfoil shape into them today but didn't load that pic.
I also got the aileron position cut into the wing and the ail wire channel bored in. So they are now ready to cut the ailerons out of.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2010, 08:48 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,192 Posts
The plug is ready and has three coats of wax. I think I will give it one more and then spray on a coat of PVA before glassing. Hopefully will be glassing tomorrow.
The rudders and stabs are shaped and spackled. They will be ready for glass soon. I inserted a piece of 1/2" balsa on the hinge lines. When I cut the control surfaces off this will give me a 1/4" LE for the control surface and 1/4" for the hinge surface.
I used my hi tech tools to cut the channel for the aileron wires. A sharpened section of old antenna aluminum and then a dowel with sanding paper to enlarge the hole.
Next up will be LE & TE on the wings before I can make the ailerons and flaps.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:27 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Man, looking good!!, and your so fast! Did you go to bed last night?????? Liked the idea about the 1/2" stock in the stabs and fin so when you cut the flying surfaces that will be already there! cool trick John! Well, gotta get at that darn grass out there, then I might be able to work on mine just abit... w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Aug 11, 2010, 09:09 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,932 Posts
Very cool John Took me awhile to tell the fuselage was underside up
Great job on the hot wire fuselage sections.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:35 PM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,268 Posts
hey John if the fuse plug servives pulling the fiberglass skin off send me the plug and I will make a ral mold off it!..
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut