HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:38 AM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2001
802 Posts
Discussion
Swindler

I designed, built and flew my own speed 400size Deciever some 10 years ago. Those days, many people are amazed with the performance of small electric racers powered by the puny 6V speed 400 brushed motors. But the prices of these tiny moulded composite airframe then was very difficult for one to swallow, which easily cost many times the prices of the powerplant itself. And so, the deceiver is born, just like many good old fast balsa designs, if you remember the "Pocket Rocket".

I finally folded the deceiver wings in air after about 2 years of flying, even on brushed motor. Ever since, I had re-designed the rebuilt many versions of the Deciever, including the one I own now, which are significantly beefed up to take the near 300 watts of power of the brushless setup on 3S Lipo.

Of course, I don't use them for racing at the moment and I am not restricted by any limitations of the setup. Seeing so many grossly overpowered 'dirty' foamies zipping across the skies of our local field, I suddenly feel the need to re-educate this people that they don't need to use nuclear system to fly fast planes.

The Deceiver does that pretty well, but I was also toying the idea of changing its tail to T-tail, to make it look more 'marketable'. Frankly speaking, I don't think the T-tail version will roll as axially as the original standard tail one, but I think it really look much better. To identify the new design better, I named it as "Swindler".

I have flown it for the first time today, and I've to say that it flies very well, just like the previous design, only a little more untidy in 360 rolls. These planes have very wide speed envelope that allows it to be zip across the sky as fast as those 'dirty foamies' at a fraction of thier power consumptions, and yet are able to slow down comfortably for good landings. The motor used is some cheap B2040 3000KV inrunner designed for EDF, and paired up with a Hobbywing 30A ESC. The battery is just a 1300mah 3S 25C Lipo, a relatively cheap trill.

I am in the process of touching-up the plans and if anyone is interested, I'll be glad to share it free-of-charge. Re-live the old days of fast balsa and to hell with foam parties!
Joe Yap is offline Find More Posts by Joe Yap
Last edited by Joe Yap; Aug 10, 2010 at 10:43 AM. Reason: typo
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2010, 11:15 AM
Annoying people since 1970 :)
United Kingdom, England, Taunton
Joined Nov 2005
1,677 Posts
Looks very good. I'm interested
wastegate is offline Find More Posts by wastegate
Old Aug 10, 2010, 11:58 AM
Joined Jan 2008
122 Posts
Joe's one of the pioneer for pylon racing as well as a builder....
babasmurf_35 is offline Find More Posts by babasmurf_35
Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:06 PM
Joined Jan 2008
122 Posts
393 WR Racer Pylon - "Air on Man" - DIY Scratch Built

Here is my built based on a design from 393 WR Racer Pylon - "Air on Man" - DIY Scratch Built...
Old Aug 10, 2010, 07:36 PM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2001
802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastegate View Post
Looks very good. I'm interested

Hi Wastegate,

I'll need your email for sending the attachment.

Hi Babasmurf,

Nice model you got there. When I found the suitable powerplant system, I'll be designing something about the size of your racer.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 03:00 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,677 Posts
PM sent.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 03:51 AM
Joined Jan 2008
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Yap View Post
Hi Wastegate,

I'll need your email for sending the attachment.

Hi Babasmurf,

Nice model you got there. When I found the suitable powerplant system, I'll be designing something about the size of your racer.
Sad that i have not time to build anymore...just plug n play for now..
Old Aug 12, 2010, 04:32 AM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,904 Posts
PM sent, and subscribed, looking forward for some videos
EZ
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea
Old Aug 13, 2010, 02:48 AM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2001
802 Posts
Here are some of the pictures taken during the wing construction. The wings are basically balsa and foamcore sandwich structure, with CF strips and glasscloth reinforcements. The wing skins are 1/32" balsa and the wingtips are solid balsa.

The ailerons are cut free from the wings and faced with balsa caps. Their torque rods are offset to allow the rigging with a single flat mounted servo.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 02:51 AM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2001
802 Posts
The fuselage is simply a box structure with triangular gussets glued to the corners to allow some roundings. The vertical fin is built-up together with the fuselage construction itself.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 02:55 AM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2001
802 Posts
I forgot to include the detail on the T-tail mounting in the plans. The tip of the vertical fin has a strip of 1/8" balsa stick glued on each side, before being carved and sanded into fillets. This will increase the contact area between the fin tip and the horizontal stabilizer. I dug up some balsa at the centre and filled them up again with epoxy/microballoon mixture. This will provide a hardpoint for the stabilizer mounting screws.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 03:00 AM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2001
802 Posts
The horizontal stabilizer is mounted by 2 small wood screws, but after covering, I apply some epoxy as well to make the joint stronger.

AUW tips to around 13+oz, with 2 HS-65HB servos, a Schultz receiver, motor/esc and a 3S 1300mah Lipo pack.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 03:04 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,677 Posts
Very nice work
I now have AutoCad to view the drawing but can't work out how to print it out in A4 tiled?
Old Aug 13, 2010, 05:05 AM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2001
802 Posts
You'll have to use the "window" function in the printing menu to crop the area you want to print. If you need, I can send another copy with the A4 outline 'tiles', so that you can use them to select your print area.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 05:23 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,677 Posts
Yes please.