HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2010, 11:46 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
Discussion
NE Nine Eagles Solo Pro: Bell Hiller Mod V3 - using a walkera 4#3 flybar hub

Ok, Take 3 of the bell hiller mod for the Nine Eagles Solo Pro;

This time instead of the "clunky" hexagon shaped flybar hub, we use a walkera 4#3 Flybar hub. The first hub doesnt have a flybar locking mechanism to keep the paddles leveled with the hub. With the walkera 4#3 hub, there are two screws on the side that will allow me to lock the flybar on the flybar hub itself.

Plus the hub itself has a smaller diameter compared to the hexagon shaped hub allowing the swash links on the flybar hub side to move inwards compared to the wider distance of the ball linkages on the swashplate side. This will basically amplify the pitch data coming from the servo towards the main blade grip;

Tracking Tests (TX at low rate);

NE Nine Eagles Solo Pro : Version 3 Bell Hiller Mod - Tracking (1 min 14 sec)

Handsfree Hover and Cyclic Punches with the NE Transmitter set at Low Rate cyclics. Even at such limited servo throws, the cyclic response is quite aggresive due to the small diameter flybar hub;

NE Nine Eagles Solo Pro : Version 3 Bell Hiller Mod - Hover and Cyclic Punches (1 min 37 sec)

And here is another test with the TX at Full rate or servos are at full throws. Heli has become extremely aggressive yet stable.

NE Nine Eagles Solo Pro : Version 3 Bell Hiller Mod - TX Hi rate Cyclic Punches (0 min 46 sec)
EQMOD is offline Find More Posts by EQMOD
Last edited by EQMOD; Aug 09, 2010 at 11:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2010, 11:49 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
how is this done ?

Basically we get a spare walkera 4#3 flybar hub;

We also need the stock NE mixers;

These were cut on the hole side and CA'ed on the 4#3 hub;

Here she is as mounted on the NE Solo Pro Shaft;

Old Aug 09, 2010, 11:52 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
Closeup of the hub as inserted on the flybar shaft;

------------

We then fabricate the swashplate to hub linkages usng the NE solo Pro Servo linkages with one side of the link with the walkera flybar hub linkages. I used a shrink tube with some CA to bind them together;

and here she is as assmembled;

Old Aug 10, 2010, 04:13 AM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
here is a diagram of the concept;

Old Aug 10, 2010, 08:38 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,595 Posts
So, now a loop/backflip or roll are possible, just like on an extremely modded MSR?
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Aug 10, 2010, 05:39 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
So, now a loop/backflip or roll are possible, just like on an extremely modded MSR?
hehehe. I wouldnt try it yet as i only have a few spares for this
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:10 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
OK! Outdoor videos and a i love it !!!!!

Here is the Solo Pro with the V3 head doing some cyclic punches;

NE Nine Eagles Solo Pro : Bell Hiller Mod Version 3 - Outdoor Crisp Cyclic Punches (1 min 3 sec)

Take two:

NE Nine Eagles Solo Pro : Bell Hiller Mod Version 3 - Outdoor Crisp Cyclic Punches 2 (9 min 25 sec)

and the usual Extremely Fast Forward flight

NE Nine Eagles Solo Pro : Bell Hiller Mod Version 3 - Outdoor Extremely FFFs (6 min 14 sec)

And here is one little experiment while during the fast forward flight i am doing some cyclic punches particularly on the forward elevator;

NE Nine Eagles Solo Pro : Bell Hiller Mod Version 3 - Outdoor FFF with forward cyclic Kicks (9 min 41 sec)
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:04 AM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
by the way, best to watch the above videos in HD (720p).
Old Aug 11, 2010, 09:49 PM
ClubHeli.com
Allentown, PA
Joined Mar 2009
424 Posts
Looking at the pics...what are you using at the flybar pivot point on the head? Can't quite tell in the pics. Also, what mods have you done to the blades? Looks like you added some mixers on there....Very nice mod! I'm gonna work through this one..looks like it's a blast!
Rick Hauler is offline Find More Posts by Rick Hauler
Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:40 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
I am using a walkera 4#3 metal pivot with holes drilled on the side for the head locking pins;

The mixers are CA'ed on the side of the grip for grip ball linkages;

Old Aug 12, 2010, 06:26 AM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
Showing how stable the head is despite the added bell hiller linkages and the
flybar hub. Technically speaking, the stability of the stock bell head configuration is retained as you still have the swash and flybar mixing fed on the grips. The only added features (bell hiller) is the influence of the swashplate on the pitch of the flybar paddles.

* The only difficulty i encountered on this stunt is the throttle management as the throttle stick is very sensitive. (Do we have curve adjustments for that ? On this stunt, there is an obstacle above and below and the two poles on both sides;

Take one:
Nine Eagles NE: Stability Stunt Take 1 (0 min 34 sec)

Take two:
Nine Eagles NE: Stability Stunt Take 2 (0 min 26 sec)
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:55 PM
Joined Aug 2008
170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EQMOD View Post
how is this done ?

Here she is as mounted on the NE Solo Pro Shaft;

EQMOD, you are just unbelievable! Unbelievable!

You find out more interesting things per month than five of me!

Anyway, this Walkera flybar ring is something that I have modded many different ways over in 'Ultimate ~45'. It is indeed very versatile.

I have found that ultimately the ring itself (the part that forms the picture frame) flexes out of plane, fatigues, and breaks. This is not an issue when you are trying to find out if the mod geometry is 'good'. It only becomes important after your mod is successful and your are out having a blast with the G forces and the crashing thing.

The next level of sturdiness for this ring comes when the picture frame is 'thickened' top and bottom by a thin layer of aluminum, CF, plastic, etc. I'm building an .015 aluminum reinforcement now, but thought I'd let you know my experience because from the looks of this one's performance you will need the reinforcement a long time before I even finish my mod!

Great work.

LB
LiftBuster is offline Find More Posts by LiftBuster
Old Sep 12, 2010, 07:06 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
thanks
Old Sep 24, 2010, 06:55 PM
G'day!
Joined Aug 2010
81 Posts
This is just wicked cool. I want to buy a SP now just so I can put cute little paddles on it.
UnitSeven is offline Find More Posts by UnitSeven
Old Sep 24, 2010, 08:11 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
that setup has progressed with a couple of modifications added from the swashplate up to the hub, and not just bell hiller modding;

NE Nine Eagles Solo Pro : Outdoor Manueverability test 2 (0 min 53 sec)

NE Nine Eagles Solo Pro : Cyclic Pulsing Outdoor 4 (0 min 31 sec)