SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 09, 2010, 10:34 PM
USA, CA, Marina del Rey
Joined Jul 2010
553 Posts
Yippee!
First sucessfull flight, First self Build!!!

I have two good pieces of news for you guys, I had my first sucessfull flights ever using my slowstick over the weekend and it is great, Also I have finally finished my EVA Sport, I messed up the first set of wings so had to wait for new ones but now i've finished it and i'm so happy with it!

I do have one question, with my slow stick it was easy to set the CG because of the high wing design.

when i try to set the cg on the EVA it tries to fall off the falcrums because of the low wings and top heavy design, i have played with the battery position but how balanced should it be, is it ok that it falls forward?

thanks everyone

Kim
lightningmcnul is offline Find More Posts by lightningmcnul
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2010, 10:57 PM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,924 Posts
Low wing planes should be cg'd upside down, for that very reason.

Steve
sgomes is offline Find More Posts by sgomes
Old Aug 09, 2010, 11:45 PM
USA, CA, Marina del Rey
Joined Jul 2010
553 Posts
Awesome, thank you steve i knew there must be something i was missing ha ha.
Old Aug 09, 2010, 11:46 PM
Is that me?
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2006
898 Posts
Good luck you will need it, it's quite step up from a SS to a low wing aileron plane. Short throws, easy on the sticks,Good on ya1,
Bob
Bobnormal is offline Find More Posts by Bobnormal
Old Aug 10, 2010, 07:52 AM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,924 Posts
Bob's right, if this is your first step up from the SS, then you MUST program in very low rates, lots of expo, and fly on a calm day. Make sure your control surfaces are as neutral as you can make them before you take off. When you take off for the first time, advance the throttle evenly and with purpose. Once airborne, keep advancing the throttle but at a much slower rate until you get to 20' or so, then start backing off. The worst mistake most beginners make on take off is to back off the throttle as soon as the plane lifts off, almost always resulting in a stall, a wing drops (usually the left one), and bad things happen. Remember this, the throttle is your friend so commit to it, and you should be fine.

The Eva Sport is a great little plane - a friend has one and it flies great. Looks like you've done a nice job on the build.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Steve
Old Aug 10, 2010, 11:33 PM
USA, CA, Marina del Rey
Joined Jul 2010
553 Posts
I flew it today and it was great and flew very well and was very easy for someone like me that is until i had the massive flight failure and now i have loads of bits to put back together

its a pain in the butt that i had the failure but if your thinking of buying an eva please do it is a great plane and very easy to fly/build and mountain models is an awesome company, i crashed mine because of a fluke so don't let it put you off

kim
Old Aug 11, 2010, 05:19 AM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,924 Posts
Kim, sorry to hear about your crash. It happens to all of us. Hopefully, you can rebuild, but if not, then remember there is always the next plane. It sounds like you were having a good time before the bad time. That means that you have learned that will transfer to the future.

In the past month, I have crashed three balsa planes, but I plod on. It is a wonderful hobby.

Steve