HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2011, 04:46 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,656 Posts
Well, I thought I would share here as well. I upgraded the motor and ESC and took her to a fly-in recently. Not good.
Tummcrash.AVI (0 min 56 sec)
Willsonman is offline Find More Posts by Willsonman
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2011, 08:25 PM
Over-engineered
Ridgecrest, CA
Joined Nov 1998
1,028 Posts
Wow, what a shame! It was a beautiful machine. I hope it hasn't spoiled your drive to keep building.
Bf109G is offline Find More Posts by Bf109G
Old May 17, 2011, 09:00 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,656 Posts
Oh no. I'll be re-building. I absolutely LOVE this plane.
Old May 18, 2011, 01:19 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,656 Posts
Currently in the process of getting things back together. I found all the parts I need in the splinter pile I collected. The cowl will be made from foam.
Old May 18, 2011, 09:20 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,656 Posts
Started to rebuild from the splinter pile. Going together nicely. I should be able to piece everything together well and then get the cowl started soon. Major stuff yet is to:
-fabricate a new firewall
-new gear spars
-repair gear
-fabricate new cowl from foam.
-new motor shaft and prop
-small repairs to wings
Old May 21, 2011, 07:49 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,656 Posts
Here is where I am currently. Still much to do on the cowl but getting there.
Old May 28, 2011, 09:41 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,656 Posts
More progress on the re-build.
Old Jun 03, 2011, 10:43 AM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,656 Posts
Well, I have the wings back on and have been putting the guy wires back together. I have trimmed the wing struts to make them fit a little better. In fact, there was a very small (<2 degrees) amount of anhedral on the lower wing and also some forced washout on the upper wing. This was really an oversight on my part as I should have been more careful. I measured to make sure everything was the right length when I cut the upper wing cabane struts and the wing struts. I figured it was all supposed to be there. WRONG! There should be no washout or anhedral.

I got the Rx re-installed and re-programmed the radio. Aileron differential set to 45%. I adjusted the throw of the elevator to be be significantly reduced. I think this was the main cause of the crash. Too much up elevator and a tip stall occurred. This in addition ot the slight washout on the upper wing. I will be finishing the guy wires soon as well as getting more into balancing once my motor is re-assembled. I need to still do some touch-up paint on the gear struts as well as on the dummy motor.

I have to say I am pleased with the results of the liquid sheeting from wowplanes. It is quite resilient and I would definately recommend using two layers rather than one.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 08:40 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,656 Posts
Got the seat in and all wings and struts with guy wires in place. I started making a better compartment for the battery to protect it more in the event of a crash. Since I know I need more nose weight I was not concerned. Still a bit more to do but she is coming together nice.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:03 AM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,656 Posts
Well, The most recent update is the motor is shot. I had a friend at work try and make a new shaft on his lathe and it was not quite right. I ordered a new one and that is where I saw the real issue. The hole in the bell for the shaft got enlarged from the bend of the original shaft. That and combination of doing a shaft reversal and removign the bent shaft got the hole fairly enlarged. So far that the bell rubs the stators when in place.

So I've ordered a new motor. It is a .46 sized motor. #1 I wanted more weight in the nose. #2 I wanted to Have the option of going up in prop size. Scale size is 18 inches but I know I will never go that high. She should fly slow but I know that I prefer the ability to throttle up in the event that the speed is needed.

I've been fabricating a more secure battery compartment to protect the pack from another crash. I needed more weight in the nose anyways so I thought I would make it useful weight. I have the structure made but not glued in place because I still need access to the back side of the firewall for my chunky hands. I need to get the motor mount blind nuts in place and glued. Once the battery bay is in I cannot get all the way into the firewall.

I've got the air intakes and throttle body in place. I'll spend some time painting the struts so when the motor comes in I only have to spend one evening getting everything together. Then I'll be balancing.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 01:14 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,122 Posts
I see you were able to save your dummy engine! it's looking as good as new;sorry I haven't said mutch lately, started my next build P-38 m Night lightning like the one you saw befor this time it will be 1/8th scale 80" wing span 60" fus; just going off plans this time and there not for RC plane! you woulden't know by chance the degree you have to set the engines to acount for tourk would you? Iwill be posting on fule war birds this time as soon as I get my balsa & glue; all redy cut formers and ribs just working on blue prints and stinson.
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Jun 16, 2011, 03:32 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,656 Posts
3 degrees down as instructed by the plans. I think this is right as the wings will provide quite a bit of lift at speed.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 04:13 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,122 Posts
thanks but I think it is 3 degrees right? I think I will check on other plans w/ protractor to be sure,I would hate to build this next one and have this wrong!
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Jun 16, 2011, 04:32 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,656 Posts
Nope... down. Not sure if you have flown WWI birds or not but torque is a different animal on them. The top wing with no ailerons provides a good majority of stability. My aileron throws are as far as possible because of this.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 09:10 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,656 Posts
MkII ready for flight

OK. Motor installed. Cowl mount finalized and in place. Battery bay in place and curing. Prop washer.... drying but still needs paint. Technically I could fly her tomorrow... after I balance her. Not sure I will get the chance.

Thanks for the encouragement! Please let me know of any areas that SHOULD be addressed or that look particularly messy. I do know of a few spots I want to clean up but I'm not sure it is worth the effort until she flies well.