HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2011, 08:52 PM
building building building!
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,051 Posts
Mosts things in the hobby are expensive here. It's cheaper for us to buy most things online these days. And not necessarily from China either. I just purchased a pair of robostruts from advantage hobby. 2x robostruts $94.90, shipping and handling $29.99. The retail price on just one robostrut from a local hobby shop was around $90. So I have effectively paid the shipping and got one strut for free!

You could try another shop called Roj's, their prices on the kits are normally very competitive, the shipping though on such a large box would have to be fairly hefty though. http://www.rojshobbies.com/Planes.html
aerophilia is online now Find More Posts by aerophilia
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:43 AM
Leduc, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2008
562 Posts
I received notification that the model's release may be push back. No date was given to as how long.
I did receive a draft of the manual cover, although it says it is E-Scale brand?
I assume Seagull Models is making it for E-Scale and will not carry it in their own lineup??

Cheers,
Peter
Orvis is offline Find More Posts by Orvis
Old Mar 26, 2011, 11:12 PM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,682 Posts
well i for one am still interested--looks like a perfect canvas for a scale arf bash!

Would even be more interested in the d.520 if horizon ever actually followed through and got them here in the states. I love horizon but their dates can be so whack sometimes, customer service amazing, but release dates on these biggers models tend to get rough.
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Mar 27, 2011, 03:49 AM
building building building!
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,051 Posts
I actually saw the model a few weeks ago at the hobby and toy fair in Melbourne. I have to say that I was a bit underwhelmed at its size!! Was expecting it to be much bigger. The person in the pic I have seen must be a child.

The word I got on the release was that an English company was doing the manual (E-scale?) and once that was done it should be ready. It's still a Seagull kit as far as I know.....

Other than that, it looked very cool. Needs a coat or two of matt spray to dull the film. And some panel lines and dirtying up here and there would look great.
aerophilia is online now Find More Posts by aerophilia
Old Mar 27, 2011, 03:44 PM
Leduc, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2008
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerophilia View Post
I actually saw the model a few weeks ago at the hobby and toy fair in Melbourne. I have to say that I was a bit underwhelmed at its size!! Was expecting it to be much bigger. The person in the pic I have seen must be a child.

The word I got on the release was that an English company was doing the manual (E-scale?) and once that was done it should be ready. It's still a Seagull kit as far as I know.....

Other than that, it looked very cool. Needs a coat or two of matt spray to dull the film. And some panel lines and dirtying up here and there would look great.
I was thinking the same thing about the size when I noticed the wing span of 64". I thought at least it would be around the same size as the Dewoitine.

Cheers,
Peter
Old Jul 07, 2011, 10:57 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined Jan 2011
49 Posts
Well I laid down the cash for one of the Seafire kits today and will pick it up on the weekend.

Have a Scorpion S-4025-10 and Hyperion Atlas-120SB here waiting for it and that should be a suitable combo on 6S.

The photos on the web are conflicting as the model shown on the UK sites under E-Scale have the servos hidden in the wings and nicer refinements. The photos from the AU sites have the servos poking out of the wings and overall a little more rudimentary in finish. Hopefully the model I get is like the UK pics.

Anyway will take some pics and put them up when it arrives here.
kittykatjaz is offline Find More Posts by kittykatjaz
Old Jul 07, 2011, 04:35 PM
Leduc, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2008
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittykatjaz View Post
Well I laid down the cash for one of the Seafire kits today and will pick it up on the weekend.

Have a Scorpion S-4025-10 and Hyperion Atlas-120SB here waiting for it and that should be a suitable combo on 6S.

The photos on the web are conflicting as the model shown on the UK sites under E-Scale have the servos hidden in the wings and nicer refinements. The photos from the AU sites have the servos poking out of the wings and overall a little more rudimentary in finish. Hopefully the model I get is like the UK pics.

Anyway will take some pics and put them up when it arrives here.
I think the difference is that the AU sites are using the photos supplied by the AU distributor, Model Engines, which are of the prototype. The UK ones are the of the production model.
Looks like the UK shops are selling it for a little less than the AU shops. I may still pick one up afterall if the shipping is not to expensive.

Cheers,
Peter
Old Jul 07, 2011, 05:03 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Jan 2011
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orvis View Post
I think the difference is that the AU sites are using the photos supplied by the AU distributor, Model Engines, which are of the prototype. The UK ones are the of the production model.
Looks like the UK shops are selling it for a little less than the AU shops. I may still pick one up afterall if the shipping is not to expensive.

Cheers,
Peter
Thanks Peter,

I read your other thread on the Dewoitine and that was the kicker to purchase the Seafire as your kit looks really nice and easy to assemble.

Even though the Seafire looks a little out of scale it is a really unique take on the more common Spitfire up at the field. Plus I have two Spits already so this will be different.

One of my Spits is a 72" ESM model which is what the S4025-10 was originally for but I have decided to go bigger with the motor in that plane. Plus before I maiden the ESM model I want a little stick time on a 60 sized plane and this Seafire looks like it would fly well with that big wide wing.

Very excited here and I am hoping to have it in the air in about a month
Old Jul 08, 2011, 04:19 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined Jan 2011
49 Posts
Well I could not help is so went for a drive and picked up the kit today. It looks pretty good and really easy to assemble as a lot of the fiddly stuff has already been done.

The manual is really well laid out and the electric motor conversion parts included look great.

The retract mechanism is plastic which is a pity. Would be nice for them to be completely metal. The cowling is really nice and painted well.

The only damage was my bomb fins had broken off somewhere in transit.

Should not take too long to put together.
Old Jul 08, 2011, 04:24 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined Jan 2011
49 Posts
Here are some more photos.

The machine guns and radio mast are screwed in not glued. Plus the wing servos are mounted inside the wings unlike the prototype.

Another thing is the flaps are recessed into the wings.

The spinner looks nice but it is black not red like the photos.
Old Jul 08, 2011, 04:27 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined Jan 2011
49 Posts
Finally the servo mounts are ready to go with the mounting blocks already added.

There is also a nice amount of dihedral on the wings.

I am really looking forward to getting this plane in the air
Old Jul 08, 2011, 06:40 AM
Spitfire Alley
new zealand
Joined Aug 2006
104 Posts
Quote:
Finally the servo mounts are ready to go with the mounting blocks already added.

There is also a nice amount of dihedral on the wings.

I am really looking forward to getting this plane in the air
Nice!
what ya going to run in her motor wise?
kiwihawk is offline Find More Posts by kiwihawk
Old Jul 08, 2011, 07:31 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined Jan 2011
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwihawk View Post
Nice!
what ya going to run in her motor wise?
Scorpion S-4025-10 on 6S.

Not sure of the prop yet but probably somewhere between 14x7E to 14x10E.

According to Lucien at Innov8tive Design The 14x10E on the S-4025-10, 6S will give the following output.

Amps - 79
Watts - 1754
RPM - 9850
Thrust - 192 ounces (12 pounds)
Pitch Speed - 93 MPH

Considering that this plane should come in under 10lb it will really scoot.
Old Jul 08, 2011, 08:48 AM
Leduc, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2008
562 Posts
Very nice!
I'm relieved to see that the servo mounts are indeed recessed into the wings. Seagull should have done that a long time ago.
The screw in cannons are a nice touch. I was wondering about that actually because there's nothing worst than breaking off the radio mast or cannon barrel during transportation.
Yeah, the retracts look identical to the ones that came with the Dewoitine, except they have suspension oleos. I would just keep the oleos, ditch the retracts and go with a good set of electrics.
I'm looking forward to your progress on this model.

Cheers,
Peter
Old Jul 08, 2011, 08:01 PM
Spitfire Alley
new zealand
Joined Aug 2006
104 Posts
Quote:
Scorpion S-4025-10 on 6S.

Not sure of the prop yet but probably somewhere between 14x7E to 14x10E.

According to Lucien at Innov8tive Design The 14x10E on the S-4025-10, 6S will give the following output.

Amps - 79
Watts - 1754
RPM - 9850
Thrust - 192 ounces (12 pounds)
Pitch Speed - 93 MPH

Considering that this plane should come in under 10lb it will really scoot.
ok cool, nice motors the scorps, what esc ya going to run ,
im looking at putting a s 4025-12 on 6s into my 63" Hurricane, with a 15x10e or 16x8e, are running a hyp 4025-10 on 5s with 80 amp and 15x10 at presant and seems to go really well

Good luck with the build,,,,keep us posted on how she goes
kiwihawk is offline Find More Posts by kiwihawk