HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Are you in favor of a DLG event being added to Soar Utah?
Yes 14 66.67%
No 7 33.33%
Maybe 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 09, 2010, 05:42 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,955 Posts
Poll
DLG event at Soar Utah?

This is a poll to see who would be interested in having some kind of semi-organized DLG event as part of the "Soar Utah" activities this year.

The 8th "Soar Utah" event, sponsored by the InterMountain Silent Flyers club in Salt Lake, is coming up Labor Day weekend, Sept 3 - 6. See http://www.soarutah.org/ and http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...soar+utah+2010. This event draws RC soaring enthusiasts from all over the country, mostly for our world famous winds at Point Of the Mountain. The event supports multiple categories and venues including racing and open slope flying at POM, DSing at POM, scale aero-tow at Grantsville, open slope flying at Francis Peak, static displays, judging & awards, raffle, meals, etc.

I am proposing to add some support for the missing handlaunch category for us DLG enthusiasts, as Utah currently has no organized DLG clubs. We could start out with just a fun-fly get together this year, and perhaps expand to some friendly F3K competitions in the future. I know there are several DLGers in the area that would probably enjoy and support this. It has been suggested that we could possibly combine this activity with the aero-tow at the Grantsville site, or find a new location in Salt Lake or Utah county near the main activities at POM.

Please post your comments, thoughts, and suggestions in this thread. And vote in the poll above.

Thanks!

Mike
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2010, 05:53 PM
The Real J
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,817 Posts
Fo Sure!
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
Old Aug 09, 2010, 10:31 PM
Nampa, Idaho
Joined Jan 2003
190 Posts
SW Idaho In!

Howdy,

Idahoan DLGer. Not many of us. All for any dlg in the region particularly in Utah since I go there often to see family.

Loid
sherwoodski is offline Find More Posts by sherwoodski
Old Aug 10, 2010, 08:19 AM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,544 Posts
You've got this poll in the wrong forum. The UFO has nothing to do with SU. You should probably move the poll to the ISF forum since they are the group sponsoring SU.

Go DLG!
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:43 AM
The Real J
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,817 Posts
True its actually in the IMSF forums. I think also as the IMSF is a paid club as well, we'd have to be a paying member to get this going. But that doesn't mean that we can't solicit to the IMSF people and try and get something going ourselves although it probably can't be tied with SU or IMSF. IMSF sponsors SU.

Mike, We should study, plan and organize a DLG competition ourselves. Even on a more casual level, we could probably get something going and as popularity increases so will its participants.

J
Last edited by flyingj; Aug 10, 2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 11:54 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingj View Post
True its actually in the IMSF forums. I think also as the IMSF is a paid club as well, we'd have to be a paying member to get this going. But that doesn't mean that we can't solicit to the IMSF people and try and get something going ourselves although it probably can't be tied with SU or IMSF. IMSF sponsors SU.

Mike, We should study, plan and organize a DLG competition ourselves. Even on a more casual level, we could probably get something going and as popularity increases so will its participants.

J
I agree. Maybe I've been going about this in the wrong way. I did communicate with the IMSF guys and they were willing to support DLG and do an event at SU if there was enough interest. They were the ones that actually suggested I post the idea in the various forums to see what response it draws, then possibly piggybacking the event with one of the others like aero-tow. But I guess there isn't much interest, at least so far anyway. I think you are right in just trying to do something on our own for now and then see how it grows.

I'm all set to head to Denver this weekend for BSOC. It will be fun to see what's involved in a real F3K competition and see how it's run. I should be able to learn a lot. I know at least two of the top ranked flyers in the country will be there. Some of the other guys talked me into competing, so they can have an extra butt to kick I guess. As green as I am, I'm prepared for a dead last finish. But hopefully I'll get a boat load of valuable experience to bring back to Utah and get something going here.
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Aug 10, 2010, 11:57 AM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,544 Posts
You set up a F3K event and I'll do my best to attend (I'll have to buy/build a dlg first). It looks like a lot of fun to me. It would really give me the kick in the butt to get a pod plug/mold made...
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Aug 10, 2010, 07:32 PM
The Real J
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,817 Posts
Mike,

We should start a DLG thread in the Utah Flyers Club Forum even if it is just me, you, Adrian, and Nate for now, but we can post a link in IMSF and Idaho, CO, NV and see if we can get something going. We can even petition an event near the four corners area, CO, AZ, NM, UT.

Actually, I think someone started a thread in the Hand Launch section much like the AZ club thread. If we keep up interest, it will stay near the top and more people will become interested. I am not leaving DLG anytime soon. I love it.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 08:02 PM
Utah Flyers
Farmington, UT
Joined Dec 2004
1,638 Posts
I love DLG as well! So little to drag around,a single small battery to charge that goes forever. So much to learn and rarely is there damage to repair from the last flying outing.

I'm open to a competition but I would prefer a more casual event until I'm more seasoned. I need lots more experience as I fly so infrequently these days.
natetanr is offline Find More Posts by natetanr
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:30 AM
Pledged to Always Chase Wind
USA, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2004
1,625 Posts
I agree that you are in the wrong forum to maximize your traction on the issue. Many IMSF guys already have DLG's. Since nobody locally has taken the lead to organize events most of those DLG's collect dust most of the time.

I think some casual DLG flying when conditions and location allow is best for SU. Most guys come prepared for the slope and aero tow which takes up a lot of room in the car. A DLG event might do better without the distractions. Monday would be a good day to integrate DLG into SU. Not as many pilots hang around to fly on Monday so maybe a stand alone DLG event would be best.
deputybuzz is online now Find More Posts by deputybuzz