HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2010, 04:41 PM
Little Norway
Joined Feb 2010
171 Posts
Discussion
Epoxy !

I would like some opinions on the types of epoxy`s out there for better or worse. I bought my first epoxy when building a raptor 50 heli, 5-6 years ago. It was the NHP 3hour composition. Since i never had used epoxy at all before, i was a bit careless, and got some on my hands. I did develop some concentrated skin irritation/allergy reactions on the exposed areas of my hand. This takes in my case years to heal, but i do see that the irritations diminish, and the symptoms dissapear after a considerable time. They never itched, and therefore never actually irritated me, but it would seem that the epoxy chemicals would "sit" in your skin for ages before the skin would look normal again. And the area would flash or not develop the skins natural ability to sweat, and therefore become dry. I`m just about 99% healed of this now, but please be aware of the potent chemicals in this and other epoxy`s...so always take great care and always have your disposable gloves at hand I also bought some Pacer "Z-poxy" PT-40 (also 3 hours) some time ago. I never had any skin reactions from that composition...yes, i can never completely avoid getting some residuals on my hands...but on the other hand, that is resin, and maybe not polyester?! I try to avoid my NHP epoxy, while i still have the Z-poxy available. I dont know, but maybe you have something to add to this discussion. What is your favourite epoxy ?
bjornkipper is offline Find More Posts by bjornkipper
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2010, 08:56 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
I don't actually have a favorite, as in my experience, they all work pretty much the same and do a good job.

I buy whatever is available at the LHS, and currently have on hand both 5 and 30 minute NHP epoxies.
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 11, 2010, 01:26 AM
Little Norway
Joined Feb 2010
171 Posts
I take it the rest of you don`t use epoxy?!
Old Aug 11, 2010, 09:30 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,108 Posts

Sure,
I buy the cheapest available.
5 min for non-structural and 30 min+ for structural needs.

West epoxies for serious stuff like boat building.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:42 AM
Little Norway
Joined Feb 2010
171 Posts
Well, there you go! Never heard of the stuff. Maybe i`ll sample some of that west side epoxy.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:45 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,108 Posts
West Systems
http://www.westsystem.com/ss/

Or look at aircraft grade epoxy
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/cm/epoxy.html
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Aug 11, 2010, 02:58 PM
Little Norway
Joined Feb 2010
171 Posts
Certainly looks the part! West epoxy looks like a "pro" epoxy deal. Basically just trying to expand my knowledge on epoxy here..