HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2010, 02:55 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Discussion
Nevada Sheriff Stands up to BLM agents

Over reaching power and arrogance from yet another out of control Federal agency has pushed this sheriff to threaten BLM agents with arrest if they violate the property rights of his citizens. We need more sheriffs like this.

This has been going on for years now, illustrating that the predation of the Federal system on citizens has been out of control since long before Obama, a problem which must be corrected even after we rid ourselves of His Excellency.

Quote:
PART ONE:
The first video covers Wayne Hage's discovery that the US Department of Forestry, an agency of the USDA, filed a claim for his water rights and later seized his cattle; the USDA Forestry Service used armed agents to accomplish the seizure. Hage believed that his cattle were confiscated so that he would be unable to show that he was using his water rights for 'beneficial use' in order to shut down his ranch. Water is scarce in Nevada and unless the landowner can prove he is using the water rights for 'beneficial use', the rights are removed.
Sheriff Tony DeMeo - One (9 min 32 sec)

Quote:
PART TWO:
In the late 1990's, before Sheriff DeMeo took office, the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), an agency of the Department of Interior, seized more of Hage's cattle off of his ranch, using armed federal agents. The sheriff at that time left town on a fishing trip.

Subsequently, when Sheriff DeMeo took office in 2003, he told his deputies that illegal cattle seizures were prohibited and that any federal agents attempting to confiscate cattle would be arrested. Shortly thereafter, the BLM arrived at Hage's ranch to perform a seizure. The Sheriff's Deputy told the federal agents that there would be no seizure or taking of cattle, per DeMeo's decision based on the Constitution. The Deputy was told that the BLM federal agents intended to arrest DeMeo and use armed force to take Hage's cattle. Sheriff DeMeo advised the federal agent that their SWAT team would be faced with Sheriff DeMeo's SWAT team if they proceeded.

Sheriff DeMeo clearly stated that he refused any unlawful seizures on Wayne Hage's estate. He further advised federal agents that if they could produce a lawful court order for seizing cattle, he would not take the cattle off of the land, but impound them there on Hage's ranch. This is important because if seized cattle were to remain impounded on Hage's ranch, then Wayne Hage could still show 'beneficial use' of his water rights.
Sheriff Tony DeMeo - Two (10 min 15 sec)

Quote:
PART THREE:
In 2004, the BLM wanted authority for law enforcement over the roads in the federally managed Public Lands. Sheriff DeMeo said that because they were asking for the authority, that meant that they didn't have that law enforcement power. Nye County passed a Resolution forbidding the BLM from encroachment, protecting state sovereignty under the Tenth Amendment. Nevada also passed a State Law in 2005 (NRS 565.125) that requires a court order from the court of competent jurisdiction and submission of the order to the Sheriff's Office before any agency seizes animals. All cattle ranches in Nye County are independent family owned operations.

Sheriff DeMeo also explains that his deputies are empowered to refuse unlawful orders, if the orders violate the US Constitution, the Nevada State Constitution, local laws or policy.
Sheriff Tony DeMeo - Three (7 min 34 sec)

Standing up for citizens against the Leviathan... another sheriff who deserves kudos
MtnGoat is online now Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Old Aug 09, 2010, 03:19 PM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,033 Posts
Nevada is good.
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
Old Aug 09, 2010, 05:52 PM
"Butchering Balsa since 1971"
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,054 Posts
Way to go Nevada!!
CashRC is online now Find More Posts by CashRC
Old Aug 09, 2010, 05:57 PM
Low, slow and dirty
maine
Joined Jan 2008
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
Nevada is good.
I'd elect him to president!... He understands how things should work. It is VERY, VERY, troubling that congress creates these organizations, then turns them loose on the people with "no one to answer too" should they abuse their powers. Prime example the IRS, DEA, DEP ACE etc! It pretty makes takes a "act of God" to hold these Dept heads and their staff accountable for breaking the law themselves!

I also can't understand why everybody isn't making demands of our leaders to put the Federal Gov't back in the" BOX "that they are suppose to operate in according to our constitution!

I also wonder who got tons of free cattle/ money from that 1st seizure! I bet it was a good-ole boys, behind closed doors agenda that was going on!...
jumpinjo is offline Find More Posts by jumpinjo
Old Aug 09, 2010, 06:48 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpinjo View Post
I also wonder who got tons of free cattle/
I think they went to Oprah.
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 09, 2010, 06:50 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
They are supposed to be in a very, very small box as defined by the Constitution.
Old Aug 09, 2010, 07:03 PM
Low, slow and dirty
maine
Joined Jan 2008
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
They are supposed to be in a very, very small box as defined by the Constitution.

I actually think some people who always thought the Federal Gov't was ruler of everything in this country are starting to take a closer look. Besides,it being a SESSPOOL of greed, corruption, and Pvt swingers club!
Old Aug 09, 2010, 09:37 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
I think they went to Oprah.
...and she could give them away like the Pontiacs.....a cow giving away cows.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Aug 10, 2010, 09:26 AM
Joined Apr 2008
77 Posts
There is nothing more complicated than water law in the western U.S. I'm still not sure whether the sheriff is talking about water rights on the ranch or on the grazing allotments. I suspect there is a little more to this story than Tony DeMeo's take on the U.S. Constitution, however. It does reinforce the old adage that out here in the West, we spell FIGHT, W-A-T-E-R.
Rufcut is online now Find More Posts by Rufcut
Old Aug 10, 2010, 09:31 AM
Low, slow and dirty
maine
Joined Jan 2008
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by usta bee View Post
...and she could give them away like the pontiacs.....a cow giving away cows.

I don't think much of her either.......
Old Aug 10, 2010, 09:47 AM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufcut View Post
There is nothing more complicated than water law in the western U.S. I'm still not sure whether the sheriff is talking about water rights on the ranch or on the grazing allotments. I suspect there is a little more to this story than Tony DeMeo's take on the U.S. Constitution, however. It does reinforce the old adage that out here in the West, we spell FIGHT, W-A-T-E-R.
It was about both, IIRC.

Award to the Estate of....for $4,000,000
One Analysis of the case
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
Last edited by wrightme; Aug 10, 2010 at 09:54 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:00 AM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
445 Posts
That should pretty well seal the deal on a one term presidency.
Indiana_Geoff is online now Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Aug 10, 2010, 11:06 AM
Joined Apr 2008
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana_Geoff View Post
That should pretty well seal the deal on a one term presidency.
Nonsense.
Since the entirety of the case was litigated prior to Obama taking office, I fail to see how this is connected in any way to the current administration. The initial taking of property, i.e. the Hage's water rights, later judged to be illegal, occurred during the GHW Bush administration. The final decision was issued in 2008 during GWB's tenure. Exactly how this becomes Obama's responsibility is beyond comprehension.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 11:13 AM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Correct, for once this is not an Obama issue, it is an encroachment of Federal powers issue which has been growing for decades.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:05 PM
Joined Apr 2008
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
Correct, for once this is not an Obama issue, it is an encroachment of Federal powers issue which has been growing for decades.
Yet you present the OP as if this Sheriff were responding to the policies or actions of the current administration when he is not. That's just a tad bit disingenuous, wouldn't you say?