HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:25 AM
USA, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Mar 2001
1,839 Posts
43 ounces huh? Well, that's a little more than I was expecting to see since it's advertised at 35 ounces RTF. Other than servo weight, there isn't much that can be done to alter the overall weight of the plane. Maybe one could change the rudder pushrod to something lighter, who knows

As for the stab size, I asked the same question early on. Could you do an area calculation for both stabs and let us know? I'll be really upset if he comes out with a "new, larger stab" like he did on the RL. I can't see spending this kind of $ for planes with flying flaws.

I was referring to the rotation on launch when I asked about servo throw. Using a servo arm will solve the binding issue and there is plenty of room to move the servo slightly inboard.

Glad to hear you like the way it flys! George
gavoss is offline Find More Posts by gavoss
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:41 PM
Amherst, NH
Joined Apr 2005
371 Posts
More elevator - you would need more than just a servo arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavoss View Post
I was referring to the rotation on launch when I asked about servo throw. Using a servo arm will solve the binding issue and there is plenty of room to move the servo slightly inboard.
Getting more elevator throw via a servo arm might be a start, but you would also have to open the slot in the fin for the elevator drive pin. The attached photo showns my setup with max down stick using the supplied elevator drive connector. Even if you extended the slot, I'm not sure that the embedded bellcrank would handle more throw.
dbeach is offline Find More Posts by dbeach
Old Aug 12, 2010, 01:48 PM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,346 Posts
Thanks DB and Shredair for the info on mass.

Easy way to check mechanics of ele throw is to manually move the pushrod to it's limit and see how much linear movement there is with the drive pin in the vertial fin slot and without. That way you can see how much servo movement there needs to be and choose arm length correctly. This will also tell you if slotting out the fin will allow more travel.

If you want the highest resolution possible, use the shortest servo arm that will still allow the pushrod to move to it's max travel. There is a point where the pushrod starts to bind and that depends on the plane. For most I found 50-55 degrees of servo travel each way is good.

Here's a table to use, the lateral shift is how much the pushrod bends away from the housing.
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Aug 12, 2010, 03:26 PM
USA, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Mar 2001
1,839 Posts
fnnwizard, thanks for the chart.

David, thanks for the comments. I'll check my elevator movement before I install the servos and go from there. I waited over a year for this plane and I want to get the most out of it within the least amount of time. Your documentation of the process is very helpful and I certainly appreciate it. You said your CG is at 76. Where is the tow hook?

I have a couple planes to get ready for Soar Utah. If I get them done in enough time I'll see if there is some way to lose some weight in the rudder pushrod system. Other than that and using lighter servos, I don't see a way to lose any weight on this baby. Impatiently waiting on more information, George
gavoss is offline Find More Posts by gavoss
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 12, 2010, 05:07 PM
Europe - Belgium
Joined Mar 2005
1,521 Posts
Would please hear more about a comparison between sprite and espadita in flight, if possible, so far I read sprite is the floatiest of the 2. Thx, J.
Jurgen is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen
Old Aug 12, 2010, 07:12 PM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev View Post
Just an FYI on the logger, you do NOT have to fly with the logger in the plane, you only must plug it into the data port and read the results before you turn off the receiver. It's a whole lot easier installing a short extension than finding room for a logger in some planes.

A lot of people don't know this about the Logger. RTFM?

tk
Excellent point!!! Thanks.
jaizon is offline Find More Posts by jaizon
Old Aug 13, 2010, 01:17 PM
Amherst, NH
Joined Apr 2005
371 Posts
Tow hook location - pre drilled hole

Quote:
... Where is the tow hook? ...
I put the tow hook in the pre-drilled hole, which is probably perfect for a bungee start on a slope (refer to the photo in post #5). However, too shallow for my tastes in a TD competition setting (even with launch camber and launch elevator trim).
Old Aug 13, 2010, 01:37 PM
Amherst, NH
Joined Apr 2005
371 Posts
Flight impressions - Espadita vs. Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
Would please hear more about a comparison between sprite and espadita in flight, if possible, so far I read sprite is the floatiest of the 2. Thx, J.
Yes, the Sprite is a very good floater but will also range decently with appropriate reflex. The Sprite indicates lift well, but also seems to 'get pushed around a bit' in flight. It's not unstable, it just wiggles a bit.

The Espadita likes to fly fast, but will slow down with camber when needed. It tracks like it's on rails (feels 'bigger or heavier'?). The Espadita is fun to loop, roll, dive & climb. It's more exciting to fly, you have to stay ahead of the plane and on top of the sticks.

The differences noted above may be due to wing loading and/or differences in CG location. They are both fine 2-meter planes, but I would give the thermaling edge to the Sprite in very light air. The Sprite seems easier to fly, but the satisfaction of 'getting it done' with the Espadita is very fun, and personally rewarding. I would say that flying the Espadita well requires more piloting skills.

They are very different airplanes, why not have both?
Old Aug 13, 2010, 01:46 PM
Look out! The lever!
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Feb 2005
2,619 Posts
Quote:
43 ounces huh? Well, that's a little more than I was expecting to see since it's advertised at 35 ounces RTF. Other than servo weight, there isn't much that can be done to alter the overall weight of the plane. Maybe one could change the rudder pushrod to something lighter, who knows
George,

When discussing applicable servos with Skip and Cody I believe they told me that using the Airtronics they recommend (809) will save several ounces over the Futaba that the plane was designed around.

-bob
bobthenuke is offline Find More Posts by bobthenuke
Old Aug 14, 2010, 07:24 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2003
2,528 Posts
Nice build tread, nice model in Mueller Quality ....Gorgeous for me it looks like many others, not sure about 'fast' either maybe on the Flatland vs a GL or Sprite
Quote:
If you are looking for a two meter ship that is gorgeous to look at, fast and fun, this could be the ship for you.
but
if your not a 2m Competitor
have bigger slopes available
have a car/ space for a 120" real F3X model

your maybe better off with a F3X ship which costs almost the same and flys possibly better...

Cheers
Thomas

Good model to take on a air plane
wakumann is online now Find More Posts by wakumann
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by wakumann; Aug 14, 2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 07:49 PM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,755 Posts
I have been thinking about a 2 meter, but 43 ounces for an Espadita? That is not what it is advertised at. We were flying 2 meters at that weight 25 years ago, 43 ounces today means it is a pig in light thermals, looks like the Sprite is the only way to go Too bad Muller can't find a way to save weight.
s2000 is offline Find More Posts by s2000
Last edited by s2000; Sep 12, 2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 08:39 PM
Look out! The lever!
Joined Feb 2005
2,619 Posts
Mine came out at 40 oz even. This with a 7600 Rx and satellite, 6x Airtronics 809 servos, 5x1500mah battery, empty ballast container and weight to bring CG to the recommended position. How it can ever come out to 35 oz RTF is beyond me.

-bob
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:34 PM
ROV Pilot
Norway
Joined May 2002
473 Posts
Have this with both electric and sail fuselage... Anyone knows where to get the ballast tube?
jijohans is offline Find More Posts by jijohans
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:39 PM
Flightcomp.com
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
The sprite is a thermal bird, the espadita is a sloper that some people try and fly off a winch.
ak79 is offline Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:44 AM
Look out! The lever!
Joined Feb 2005
2,619 Posts
From what I've seen of the Sprite it is, indeed, more floatier. I've flown the Espadita from a winch and high start but it's always a bit of a challenge to thermal, although it will do well if flown carefully. Definately better for slope.

Can't answer the question about the ballast tube...the Espadita has a ballast "tank" built in.