HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2010, 07:43 PM
USA, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Mar 2001
1,829 Posts
Espadita Ballast System

Here is the very ingenious Espadita ballast system provided by Herr Muller. It's totally trick and should do the job for just about any thermal conditions the plane will see. Weights are as follows:

Housing and rubber tube: 16g or .5 ounces
Each ballast section: 53g or 1.8 ounces
Total weight minus mounting parts (glue or screws): 334g or 11.7 ounces

Wing area is roughly 575 sq/in so the wing has roughly 4 sq/ft of wing area. At 35 ounces flying weight the wing loading is approximately 8.75 ounces sq/ft. Each ballast segment will raise the wing loading by .45 ounces sq/ft. With all the ballast in place the plane will weigh about 46.7 ounces and have a wing loading of 11.675 ounces sq/ft.

For most of us, it'll take 2 sections before we notice the difference.

However, this isn't all of the ballast the Espadita can hold! Due to the wingrod design, we can add 4 slugs of brass or lead into the wingrod. I'd estimate an additional 24 ounces and possibly more can be slid into the wingrod. A retaining method will be needed but that can be as simple as drilling a hole in the end of the joiner to hold the weight in place. The holes won't affect the load carrying abilities of the joiner.

The additional 24 ounces will bring us up to about 70 ounces! This should make it ROCK on the slope. Who'll be the first to give it a shot?

George
gavoss is offline Find More Posts by gavoss
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2010, 07:55 PM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,597 Posts
Great thread and nice lay-out and identification of the special parts. If interested, there was an extensive review of this model in AUFWIND-english 6/2009. The issue is sold out, but individual articles may be ordered: http://aufwind-magazine.net/1296695.htm
It says "could be ordered," but it means "may," trust me... : )

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Aug 10, 2010, 02:26 AM
Joined Feb 2001
2,809 Posts
Great review...keep it coming!

Hey Dieter!
Is it 2.50 euro for the entire magazine as a pdf file? Is says "single article" for 2.50 so am not sure what that means?
ScotY is offline Find More Posts by ScotY
Old Aug 10, 2010, 07:28 AM
Joined Mar 2001
4,597 Posts
Scott, it's 2.50 Euro per article. --Dieter
Old Aug 11, 2010, 05:29 AM
Amherst, NH
Joined Apr 2005
267 Posts
Flight report - day 1

I managed to get out in the late afternoon yesterday. There was minimal lift, but good conditions for trimming.

As expected, the hook location is very conservative. Addition of launch camber and elevator helped but moving the hook back is the better solution. After a handful of landings the hook loosened up, so moving it won't be a problem.

Zooms at release were impressive for a small plane, but you need to level out early. Once the plane slows down at the top there is not enough elevator authority to get level again.

Flights were just fun. It's not a slow floater, but I did not see any bad habits even when cambered up. I spent most of my time tuning the flap/elevator landing curve.

I wish I had a big slope with lots of room to run. It sure is pretty in the air.

I'm headed out this morning for more flights. Hopefully I'll get a better idea of how it thermals.
dbeach is offline Find More Posts by dbeach
Old Aug 11, 2010, 09:44 AM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,132 Posts
Would you have AUW for the plane? Thanks.
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:56 AM
USA, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Mar 2001
1,829 Posts
David, I assume you are using all 150% of travel correct? In your opinion would we be better off using a servo arm that is longer than the supplied unit? George
gavoss is offline Find More Posts by gavoss
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2010, 03:45 PM
Joined Mar 2001
4,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard View Post
AUW of the AUFWIND test model (glider version) was 1,110 grams.

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
Old Aug 11, 2010, 06:41 PM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
2,992 Posts
Dave flew his Espadita about half the day today. About every ten minutes he was heard to say "Man, is this fun to fly," or some variation thereof. The plane loves to go fast and tracks like it's on rails. Fit and finish are amazing.
jaizon is offline Find More Posts by jaizon
Old Aug 11, 2010, 07:27 PM
the flying is good
USA, CT, Hamden
Joined Oct 2002
2,015 Posts
Sounds like he's ready for an F3B plane.
dephela is offline Find More Posts by dephela
Old Aug 12, 2010, 09:36 AM
Amherst, NH
Joined Apr 2005
267 Posts
Flight report day 2 - "Happy Thumbs"

As 'jaizon' reported, Yes I had lots of fun flying the Espadita yesterday. What makes it fun? Probably the fact that it is so different than any other plane I own. It wants to fly faster than my Perfect (which I typically fly too slow anyhow). It tracks across the sky like it's riding on rails, but will camber up and slow down nicely when you ask it to.

In the morning yesterday once things started going, the low thermals were small and tight. The lift indications from the Espadita were subtle (as compared to my Sprite) but as I became more comfortable with the plane I was able to get a couple of low 'saves'. And once you got up in the big air, it was a joy to fly.

If you are looking for a two meter ship that is gorgeous to look at, fast and fun, this could be the ship for you.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 09:45 AM
Amherst, NH
Joined Apr 2005
267 Posts
All up weight - 1217 grams

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard View Post
My scale says 1217 as flown (without the ballast tube). I don't use super light wiring, so that might be an option. I stuffed in the Spektrum 7600 receiver and data logger, but no switch. A lighter receiver is an option, but that is still weight in front of the CG. My CG is at 76mm and I'm not inclined to move it any further back at this point.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 09:52 AM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,013 Posts
Just an FYI on the logger, you do NOT have to fly with the logger in the plane, you only must plug it into the data port and read the results before you turn off the receiver. It's a whole lot easier installing a short extension than finding room for a logger in some planes.

A lot of people don't know this about the Logger. RTFM?

tk
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Aug 12, 2010, 09:58 AM
Amherst, NH
Joined Apr 2005
267 Posts
Elevator throw

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavoss View Post
David, I assume you are using all 150% of travel correct? In your opinion would we be better off using a servo arm that is longer than the supplied unit? George
I'm assuming this comment is in regards to leveling out at the top of the zoom. I added all the travel I could, which was possible with the supplied connectors. The initial limiting factor seems to be the opening for the elevator drive pin.

I wondered if another factor might be the elevator size. See the attached photo for comparison to the Sprite. The Espadita elevator is 'stubbier', but does that make it less effective? I don't know.

As this point I'm less concerned about coming out of the zoom than I am about getting better rotation and ascent angle on launch. Once I get the ballast system I'll be evaluating giving up some ballast space for an adjustable tow hook.

We fly with heavy lines and retriever; I'm not yet satisfied with launch height.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:04 AM
Amherst, NH
Joined Apr 2005
267 Posts
Logger - I always check the voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev View Post
Just an FYI on the logger, you do NOT have to fly with the logger in the plane...
tk
I occasionally check for fades and holds, but I always check the voltage (both before and after flights). It's easy loose track of flight time, and since I'm using NIMH batteries the discharge curve is pretty predictable.