HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2010, 09:32 AM
Bray, UK
Joined Aug 2009
270 Posts
Discussion
Make a flying wing out of your crashed PKZ UM Sukhoi!

[NEW VIDEO & IMPROVED WING on page 2!]
Ok, so don't laugh too much, but I have just made a flying wing out of salvage from the debris of a couple of PKZ UM Sukhois... and amazingly it actually flies (well I was amazed, anyway).

I have never built anything before but I have been lurking in these forums and was finally inspired to try to make a little wing out of broken bits of plane and spare PKZ parts.

I joined two half Sukhoi wings (including ailerons, the servo horns and one servo still in place), stuck on the AR6400L brick and motor from a dead Sukhoic XP and used the rest of the wings as vertical stabilisers. The space between the wings was perfect for a prop for an Ember, but I didn't glue it on properly (as it is rotating the wrong way and unscrews itself) and it blew away, so I took an old 5043 prop and cut it down to 10cm to fit.

It was quite breezy for the maiden so I was all over the place, but it flew!! I had to equal out the throws as the linear servo is a standard one, whereas the brick is the long throw version, but easy enough. Quite twitchy on roll and pitch, but controllable, especially once I put some expo in. Rolls and loops easily! I would say it certainly needs the vertical stabs at the wingtips to continue further back, but at least the nice symmetric wing profile helps it fly true.

Anyway, some pics below and I'll post a video when the wind dies down... As I said, this was my first attempt at anything that wasn't (A)RTF, so be kind but any suggestions, comments, criticism, ideas for what I should do next to improve my limited skills (think baby steps!) etc very welcome!
bluefisherking is offline Find More Posts by bluefisherking
Last edited by bluefisherking; Aug 24, 2010 at 03:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2010, 11:03 AM
yes my thermal gogles are on
Ocala,Fla
Joined Jan 2009
335 Posts
try a shark fin shaped piece at the ends like on a zagi
Roy!! is offline Find More Posts by Roy!!
Old Aug 09, 2010, 12:32 PM
Lifetime Member
Providence, RI, USA
Joined Dec 1996
2,602 Posts
Great job, thanks for sharing. I am hoping that Parkzone produces some type of UM flying wing or delta wing soon. If not I will try building a UM sized "Simple Delta".

John
JohnM is offline Find More Posts by JohnM
Old Aug 09, 2010, 02:39 PM
Storm Runner guy
USA, OK, Muskogee
Joined Nov 2008
3,581 Posts
Congrats ! and good out of the box thinking there. You have a free plane

I'd second the winglet thoughts. Yours seem to be squared off at the moment. Poly dinner plate material will do it. When designing such winglets, folks often miss that during rolls or even standard turns, the winglets can act as airfoils. If you give them an airfoil shape they can really assist with lessening altitude loss during turns.
Apparently that's similar to what was discovered about the fuse of the Gee-Bee pylon racer.

The sweep and overall shape are similar to many traditional 'classic' 'wing shapes and, in my opinion, it was a good choice for a very non stock different build
Slider2732 is offline Find More Posts by Slider2732
Old Aug 09, 2010, 02:48 PM
Bray, UK
Joined Aug 2009
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy!! View Post
try a shark fin shaped piece at the ends like on a zagi
Hey, I did that and it really helped! Thank you.

Actually I also put on a heavier lipo - 360mAh instead of the 120mAh I was originally trying which really fixed the CoG, and between that and the shark fins, it was transformed! I was doing WOT low figure-8s, big loops, axial rolls (well they were a bit barrel-y unless I put in some forward elevator) - I was absolutely amazed how stable it was. Didn't hurt that the wind had died down a bit, either. The only thing that was a bit strange was that although I had no problem gaining altitude generally, if I went vertical it just kind of fell out of the air almost right away. Weird.

But I am totally buzzed about the whole thing

As soon as I can persuade someone to do a little filming, I'll put up a video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Great job, thanks for sharing. I am hoping that Parkzone produces some type of UM flying wing or delta wing soon. If not I will try building a UM sized "Simple Delta".

John
Yes, I am hoping the same, now. If I can achieve such a fun little flier with limited knowledge and no skills using the PKZ gear, I can only imagine what a hoot a real PKZ UM Zagi or Stryker would be! I would be first in the queue
Old Aug 09, 2010, 02:59 PM
Bray, UK
Joined Aug 2009
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider2732 View Post
Congrats ! and good out of the box thinking there. You have a free plane

I'd second the winglet thoughts. Yours seem to be squared off at the moment. Poly dinner plate material will do it. When designing such winglets, folks often miss that during rolls or even standard turns, the winglets can act as airfoils. If you give them an airfoil shape they can really assist with lessening altitude loss during turns.
Apparently that's similar to what was discovered about the fuse of the Gee-Bee pylon racer.

The sweep and overall shape are similar to many traditional 'classic' 'wing shapes and, in my opinion, it was a good choice for a very non stock different build
Thanks for the compliments! I am very pleased with my lucky choices and the way it turned out

Here is a pic of the sharkfin winglets - they are very crude and just hot-glued on, but they really made a big difference. I profiled the front of them a bit which may have helped, but you are right, I should round all the edges.
Old Aug 09, 2010, 03:02 PM
yes my thermal gogles are on
Ocala,Fla
Joined Jan 2009
335 Posts
that thing looks great im pissed i threw my old sukhoi away now lol. after i gutted it i just put it in the trash and nothing was wrong with the wing
Roy!! is offline Find More Posts by Roy!!
Old Aug 09, 2010, 04:07 PM
Bray, UK
Joined Aug 2009
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy!! View Post
that thing looks great im pissed i threw my old sukhoi away now lol. after i gutted it i just put it in the trash and nothing was wrong with the wing
I nearly did the same, except I am such a hoarder and I thought I might need the wing to repair another Sukhoi. In fact I have found with the Sukhoi that the wing is usually left in quite a decent state even when the tail and nose have had their air-worthiness well and truly beaten out of them
Old Aug 10, 2010, 09:15 PM
Bray, UK
Joined Aug 2009
270 Posts
Video of Parkzone flying wingman..

So here's a bit of video to show how well this little wing takes to the air. Sorry about the poor quality video, but you can certainly get a good idea of how nicely it flies, whether swooping, looping, rolling or just skimming the grass.

My little free Wingman is now one of my favorite Parkzone planes!

UM Flying Wing made from bits of broken Parkzone Sukhoi (AR6400 & 2 wings = UM Zagi!) (1 min 40 sec)
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:03 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
936 Posts
WOW, Now thats a good wing! It looks like a winner in my book good job. Now I know what to do with my old suke is I want something fun to fly.
MUTCAKE is offline Find More Posts by MUTCAKE
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:21 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,332 Posts
Wow! Now I have something to do with my old sukhoi! Does it have unlimited vertical?Have any plans?
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Aug 10, 2010, 11:36 PM
Storm Runner guy
USA, OK, Muskogee
Joined Nov 2008
3,581 Posts
Woah! Now wait a minute...360mAh 1S I presume ?
Care to enter the Wingman in the 1S speed competition ?

I just dopplar'd your 0:55 pass and got the crazily good figure of 120.48km/h or 74.87mph
(+/-6.02km/h error margin, 23C degrees ambient temperature)
Slider2732 is offline Find More Posts by Slider2732
Old Aug 11, 2010, 07:49 AM
Bray, UK
Joined Aug 2009
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTCAKE View Post
WOW, Now thats a good wing! It looks like a winner in my book good job. Now I know what to do with my old suke is I want something fun to fly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
Wow! Now I have something to do with my old sukhoi! Does it have unlimited vertical?Have any plans?
Thanks! Yes I am pretty pleased with how it turned out - I credit the Sukhoi's excellent symmetric wing profile. (Just imagine if Parkzone put their minds/R&D into making one of these :-)

Ha ha I haven't any plans, as I just chopped and glued it by eye - I looked to see which was the good (less beaten up) side of the Sukhoi wings and cut diagonally across just before the start of the "bad" side's aileron. I kept the good side aileron mechanisms untouched. I shaved a little off the cut line to give it some dihedral and stuck it together. Cut a straight line across the prop area, between the two ailerons, and clipped the corner of the ailerons so that they don't hit the prop. I then made the keel using the tip of the bad end of the wing I just cut off, and later added shark fin winglets as per Roy and Slider's suggestion - and that's it!

I can climb easily, but if I try to go directly vertical it goes a bit wobbly and sort of "falls off" - it just doesn't want to go straight up for more than a moment. Probably asymmetry in my gluing/wings/winglets/motor mount or whatever. These wings are pretty beaten up - even the "good" side of each wing had previously been dented, repaired, glued etc. so not exactly pristine airfoils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider2732 View Post
Woah! Now wait a minute...360mAh 1S I presume ?
Care to enter the Wingman in the 1S speed competition ?

I just dopplar'd your 0:55 pass and got the crazily good figure of 120.48km/h or 74.87mph
(+/-6.02km/h error margin, 23C degrees ambient temperature)
Ha ha, that sounds FAST! Can't believe it is really as quick as that, but it certainly shifts.

Yes, it is a Zippy 360mAh 1S cell 'cos I am running standard PKZ UM electronics. It seems to be the right weight - I originally tried the standard 120mAh PKZ lipo, but it was crazy pitchy, but when I left a spare lipo on the velcro for ballast it was a big improvement; and then the 360 is just a bit heavier again. I'll have a look at the speed contest and see if I can get some level flight passes somewhere where there aren't tall trees all around!
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:30 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,183 Posts
Subscribed

good job and very neat!
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Aug 11, 2010, 01:44 PM
Dodge City, Kansas
Joined Oct 2003
1,046 Posts
Great contribution

I've been "thinking about" doing this, but never got around to it. Thanks for proving the idea works.
Stan in Dodge City
Swilson50 is offline Find More Posts by Swilson50