SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 12, 2010, 07:18 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,715 Posts
gupi,
Thanks for persevering with this one mate, it is much appreciated.

So, if I rotate the wing, to raise the trailing edge by 8 mm and then drop it back onto the fuselage we should be right? Yes?
Where did you end up with the balance point?

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2010, 03:43 PM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
822 Posts
Pete,

No problem. But before you redraw the plan - if it's ok for you - I'd like to do some more testing when conditions are a bit better (i.e. less wind). Maybe we can get away with less than 8mm.

The balance point was as shown on the plan when I added 35g to the nose. One thing can be said for sure: build the tail light!

gupi
gupi is offline Find More Posts by gupi
Old Nov 12, 2010, 04:33 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,715 Posts
I can wait my friend. I would imagine that, with the extra nose weight and keeping power minimal, you might well be able to go almost back to the design incidence angle. As long as you're happy to keep playing with it, I'm happy to wait.

Pete
Old Nov 25, 2010, 03:10 PM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
822 Posts
Pete,

Had a chance again to do further tests - that's what you want to do with a prototype anyway. The final verdict is that the TE edge should be raised by 5mm. The balance point was as shown in the plan. It was a really nice experience, especially at half throttle she looked pretty scale and was flying level. At higher throttle she started to climb in a nice way, even at full.

Due to the weight I had to add to the nose, she will descent a bit fast when doing a dead stick, but you can still land her with no problem (at least in the high grass).

Another good thing: with this setting, all the nasty tendencies to enter a death spiral were gone.

Tested lower values, too. At 3mm she got unstable and unpleasant.

BTW: With my motor you can get her doing really tight loopings, too. Not that anyone would want that, but I had to try.

gupi
Old Nov 25, 2010, 05:21 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,715 Posts
gupi,
Many thanks mate, I'll get that sorted out. Now I just need your photos and notes.

Pete
Old Nov 26, 2010, 05:01 PM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
822 Posts
Pete,

For flying photos, we'll still have to wait for the weather being sunny AND no wind. Mostly it was sunny with lots of wind or no wind but no sun either.

For building photos, would it be OK for you if you download them from http://gallery.me.com/gupi/100229? You can download the whole package there.

For the notes, what format would you like to get? I'll just compile all the forum posts since those are the only notes I've made. I hope you're fine with that.

gupi
Old Nov 27, 2010, 07:59 AM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,286 Posts
Gupi, First of all I would like to compliment you on a fine looking model.
Secondly I would like to commend Pete on another interesting design. I just don't know how you do it, but you do. You can design anything to look good and fly. I also have a question for you Pete or anyone else who may be able to fullfill my curiousity.
I have noticed in many designs, and particularily yours Pete, that built up tail structures have given way to solid sheet structures in moast cases. Other than ease of building is there other reasons? I would be worried that they would be heavier, but apparently that myth has been proven wrong. Thanks for any help and clarification.

Greg
Greg Knipp is offline Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
Old Nov 27, 2010, 03:32 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,731 Posts
It does depend on how much nose area there is to balance. But, using contest weight balsa helps a little bit too.

I like either solid sheet or laminated outlines simply because they are stiff enough to keep from warping.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Oct 12, 2011, 09:52 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,731 Posts
We have this one for sale now.

www.manzanolaser.com

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:11 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
822 Posts
How cool!
Old Nov 20, 2011, 04:59 PM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
822 Posts
Sorry for the very long delay, Pete!

Hi Pete,

I got the message (in that other thread) - i need to get up my a** and complete this for you. I really have to apologize, i'm very sorry to have proven unworthy . Life got seriously in the way in form of a little daughter, and i barely had the time to get this nice little bird out in the air for flying or taking pictures.

So i didn't manage to ever get a decent flying shot - either there was no photographer or the light was bad. Now finally i managed to get a fake flying shot. Please take a look and see if it's usable.
I'll compile all my notes and get it to you in the next couple of days - i promise. I hope then you have all to publish this one - right?

Yours, gupi