HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2010, 04:14 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
856 Posts
Actually I was thinking to do it like with my D.VII - make the struts end in a little piece of wire. In the wing I'd glue a piece of push-rod tube. So the struts would just be plugged into the wing since I don't think they are critical to the stability of the wing. The struts would be glued to fuselage.

Alternatively I could add a little piece of wood to the top end of the struts and glue a nylon nut there, too. Then I could bolt the struts to the wing as well.
gupi is online now Find More Posts by gupi
Last edited by gupi; Sep 01, 2010 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Added alternative idea about bolting the struts to the wing.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2010, 05:16 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,783 Posts
Sounds fine mate.
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Sep 03, 2010, 01:38 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
856 Posts
Next step: started to make the landing gear. I really hate this wire-bending task. I broke the wire three times on the sharp corners!

So now there it is: bound together and tack-glued, test-fit in the fuse.

The wooden parts of the landing gear will probably done after covering the fuse so that i can glue them in place already. I'm not exactly sure how to do the wheels, yet.
Old Sep 03, 2010, 06:23 AM
Buffalo,MN
Joined Dec 2005
1,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gupi View Post
Next step: started to make the landing gear. I really hate this wire-bending task. I broke the wire three times on the sharp corners! :mad
Yep, just another skill we all learn to hate while building these beautifull models!
Dan Parson is offline Find More Posts by Dan Parson
Old Sep 03, 2010, 04:39 PM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Same here..but I have an easy answer to wire-bending; I just drop down a size, so if it's supposed to be 16g then I use 18g, etc.

I've always thought that EVERY plan & kit uses wire far thicker than needed - no need for it, especially if we're building lighter electric models. I can recall the wire U/C's on my old glow-powered sports models - even The Hulk couldn't have bent them.
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Sep 06, 2010, 08:20 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
856 Posts
This being a prototype build, I didn't want to go too far away from the original specs with the wire.

gupi
Old Sep 06, 2010, 08:40 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
856 Posts
Time for an update on the build. There's one thing I hate more than the wire-bending and that's sanding. Now I'm at a stage of the build where it can't be avoided any longer.

I built the hatch and sanded hatch, nose block and bottom. Still have to sand the wing though.
Old Sep 06, 2010, 09:53 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,783 Posts
Hmmm, starting to get a little portly, isn't it. Definitely heading towards a weight over 8 ounces (227 grams). Does the weight you have include the bolt on wing mod?

Pete
Old Sep 06, 2010, 12:05 PM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
856 Posts
Pete,

The weight doesn't include the mod although I don't think it'll add an essential amount since I'd use nylon bolts and nuts. Still, if it's going over budget I might need to rethink this. Still missing are the struts and the covering. I'm not sure how much the covering will add to the weight.

I was thinking 230-250g might still be OK, although I hoped to be lighter. I think the weight results partially from me taking the thicker balsa when in doubt for the equivalent imperial measures.

What do you think the target weight should be?

gupi
Old Sep 06, 2010, 01:18 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,783 Posts
An all up weight of 8 ounces or less seems to work well for these models. Over that and they start getting to be fast fliers with tapered wings beginning to show their unpleasant side. They usually still fly, but are much less fun.

Pete
Old Sep 06, 2010, 03:53 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,924 Posts
I can vouch for that. At 8oz the 30" DVIII's tapered wing was kinda wicked in a stall. It flew fine, but, you didn't want to let it get too slow.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Sep 07, 2010, 04:27 AM
Buffalo,MN
Joined Dec 2005
1,301 Posts
Do you really need those huge magnets? Thats got to be adding a lot of unnecessary weight.

A couple of tiny rare earth magnets and a couple washers will work just as well, and be much lighter.
Dan Parson is offline Find More Posts by Dan Parson
Old Sep 07, 2010, 05:05 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
856 Posts
The magnets look huge, but actually are really thin, like that foamy double-sided adhesive tape. The rest on the picture is a balsa block. And I would have taken rare-earth magnets, but my LHS didn't have them on stock. I think the weight difference is in the sub-gram region in this case.
Old Sep 07, 2010, 08:18 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,783 Posts
I can't really see where all the weight has come from. Unless it was really hard, I can't see slightly oversize wood being the problem.
Just out of interest, what are the individual weights of the equipment you're using?

My Martin, which is very close in dimensions to the FII, came out at under 7 ounces ready to fly. That used an IPS motor and 3s pack. Despite the tapered wing, it was a superb flier.

Pete