SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 24, 2010, 01:17 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gupi View Post
Or has anybody got an idea what colors the Fokker prototype used?

gupi
While the discussion came up, I wondered the same thing. One of the tough things about subject from this era is the available photos are generally monochrome. And to make things more difficult, orthochromatic films displayed yellow as a darker color than other colors!

I'm in a similar dilemma regarding the colors for the Verville Air Coach. There's a couple different schemes shown, but little clue as to colors... In my case, I'm tempted for a black and red combination, following one of the motifs shown in the B/W pics on hand.

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2010, 01:34 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
845 Posts
Actually i think that the colors on the Fokker prototype might be related to the KLM colors because I read somewhere that Fokker showed off planes using their colors without them being property of KLM.

Nevertheless I went shopping and found a motor that fits - from a power point of view. It doesn't fit the dimensions shown on the plan, though. So i need to get a little bit creative here and I started to modify the firewall (which i glued in already which makes things a bit more complicated).
gupi is offline Find More Posts by gupi
Old Aug 25, 2010, 06:32 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
There's 4 little mounting lugs on the back of the motor - this is for bolting it to a firewall. Make a former from liteply which will fit the fuselage behind the motor, screw the motor to it then glue it into the nose so the motor sticks through the hole in the front former.

You can use thin washers on the motor mount bolts to give you any thrust angles needed, or bolt the motor flat to the former and just adjust the former for down/right thrust when you glue it in.

It's always best to have the motor before you start a build then you can plan how to mount it.
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Aug 25, 2010, 07:12 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
845 Posts
Redbaron,

You're right about having the motor before you build, but I got impatient and wanted to build...

Re: mounting - i was wondering about having the motor installed in a way so that I can remove it easily after the build is completed. I did this in my D.VII and it allowed me to easily re-use it in a different plane or to adapt thrust angles if needed.

gupi
Old Aug 25, 2010, 09:45 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,759 Posts
The beauty of the motor style I show. Just slacken one grub screw and slide the motor out of its' mount.
For your motor, I'd put a block under each lug and screw to those (packing as required for thrust lines). Not easy to get a screw-driver in again once the servos are mounted though. Might have been better to leave the mount plate alone and bolted to the front of it. You'd have to live with a protruding motor, but at least you'd have been able to get at it.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Aug 25, 2010, 04:53 PM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
845 Posts
Meanwhile, doing research on that bird, I found a real gem: very high quality drawings from the Smithsonian, downloadable from here:

http://www.sil.si.edu/smithsoniancon...me=SAOF-0001.1

The cool thing is, they show most of the differences of the various models of the F.II and the prototype called V.45. I've included previews of the two pages with the drawings. The actual quality in the high-res version is much better. The article is actually about "The First Nonstop Coast-to-Coast Flight and the Historic T-2 Airplane" and features a lot of information and drawings of other Fokker planes related to the construction of the Fokker T-2 as well.

gupi
Old Aug 25, 2010, 05:31 PM
Joined Jul 2006
3,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gupi View Post
Meanwhile, doing research on that bird, I found a real gem: very high quality drawings from the Smithsonian, downloadable from here:

http://www.sil.si.edu/smithsoniancon...me=SAOF-0001.1

The cool thing is, they show most of the differences of the various models of the F.II and the prototype called V.45. I've included previews of the two pages with the drawings. The actual quality in the high-res version is much better. The article is actually about "The First Nonstop Coast-to-Coast Flight and the Historic T-2 Airplane" and features a lot of information and drawings of other Fokker planes related to the construction of the Fokker T-2 as well.

gupi
Wow, great find!

Now, I just need to come across a similar source for the Verville Air Coach!

James
Old Aug 26, 2010, 01:08 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,705 Posts
Verville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
While the discussion came up, I wondered the same thing. One of the tough things about subject from this era is the available photos are generally monochrome. And to make things more difficult, orthochromatic films displayed yellow as a darker color than other colors!

I'm in a similar dilemma regarding the colors for the Verville Air Coach. There's a couple different schemes shown, but little clue as to colors... In my case, I'm tempted for a black and red combination, following one of the motifs shown in the B/W pics on hand.

James
Since you brought it up, I hope I am not too far off topic. Found this Hurst Bowers three view in my files that states colors to order, but the common scheme was silver wings, elevator and stab and struts, dark blue fuselage and rudder. Seems to correlate with the photos in the Juptner book.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is online now Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Aug 26, 2010, 03:30 PM
Joined Jul 2006
3,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_J_Glor View Post
Since you brought it up, I hope I am not too far off topic. Found this Hurst Bowers three view in my files that states colors to order, but the common scheme was silver wings, elevator and stab and struts, dark blue fuselage and rudder. Seems to correlate with the photos in the Juptner book.

Pete G.
Hehe! I also stumbled across the Bowers stuff just a couple days ago! However, that color scheme is what I figure I'll run with, as it is documented, and, I believe, attractive enough. Also, the pics of the Packard diesel-powered Air Coach appear to show that (or similar) scheme, so I also have an N-number! I may have to fiddle with the dummy engine to suit, though...

I was going to wait until I had the parts on hand to start the build thread, but I guess I ought to start one anyway and at least get those kind of details aired out...

James

P.S. I hadn't seen the panel info, though. Muchas gracias!
Old Aug 26, 2010, 04:39 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,705 Posts
If you do an online search on Verville, you will come up with some good pictures of the Packard diesel that you can use to modify the dummy engine. They were on sites about the Packard diesel development, starting with a Stinson Detroiter, then the Verville and then a Bellanca. I decided to stay away from the diesel version because the only one built crashed, killing the pilot.

I converted the instrument panel picture to a jpeg, so you can resize as needed.

OK -- end of hijack. But I did see your mention of the Verville on Peter Rake's "what next" thread, and I do not know how to send attachments with a PM.

Back to the FII!

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is online now Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Aug 31, 2010, 08:38 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,759 Posts
That looks a neat, simple solution to your motor problem.

Pete
Old Sep 01, 2010, 01:26 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
845 Posts
Pete,

Thanks. Would you mind if I make the wing removable? I think I'll have problems storing the bird at home if I just glue the wing to the fuselage and transport would be easier, too.

I'd just simply bolt the wing to the fuse using four nylon bolts.

gupi
Old Sep 01, 2010, 03:26 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,759 Posts
If you make the wing removable, how will you arrange the struts?