SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 18, 2010, 07:13 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
845 Posts
You are so right regarding the wind. Only time will tell if it's strong enough.

gupi
gupi is offline Find More Posts by gupi
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2010, 01:18 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
845 Posts
I built the floor of the fuselage including the rough bottom nose part.
Last edited by gupi; Aug 19, 2010 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Hit the submit button too fast. The attachments were missing.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 07:06 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
845 Posts
I finally found the build log of the Dutch 1/5 scale Fokker F.II:

http://www.modelbouwforum.nl/forums/...-1-5-a-22.html

The log is in Dutch and unfortunately not all images work, but there are very nice images of the F.II in the air. A very beautiful build.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 07:19 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
845 Posts
Actually I'm searching for reference material for the Fokker F.II - but it proves hard to find. I'd like to have any info useful for detailing and color schemes. Do you guys have anything that you can send me or point me to?

gupi
Old Aug 19, 2010, 08:55 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,759 Posts
I still like the look of this one. It appears to have a slightly longer cockpit area, starting further forward, and the struts don't appear quite right. Cockpit and windscreen are easily done and the colours do look good.

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Aug 19, 2010, 09:16 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,759 Posts
Just studying the struts, I've noticed an oops on the plan. The centre c/s strut is shown too short. It should, of course, extend down to the u/c junction - and does now.

Pete
Old Aug 19, 2010, 09:35 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post
I still like the look of this one. It appears to have a slightly longer cockpit area, starting further forward, and the struts don't appear quite right. Cockpit and windscreen are easily done and the colours do look good.
Originally I liked the KLM version better, but now I've noticed that I have all these colors already at home in my depot of covering tissues. So I start to like this scheme.

But I couldn't find any info about these colors. Do you know which airline used this colors? It looks kinda Swiss.

gupi
Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:30 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,759 Posts
Danzig, it came up in another thread somewhere.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 05:59 PM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
845 Posts
Thanks, Pete. That was a good hint. According to this page:

http://www.goldenyears.ukf.net/reg_Dz-.htm

the Dz-3 was a Fokker-Grulich F.II from the Deutsche Luftreederei 'Friedrichschafen'. This would explain why it looks a bit different than your drawing, because the version that you drew is the original Fokker F.II.

Grulich modified the F.II quite a bit.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 02:41 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
845 Posts
Pete,

One more question: the build is at a point where i need to think about detailing things.

I was thinking about:

1) Detailing the cockpit plus pilot. This would probably mean to move the servos to some location different than shown on the plan since I'll need the room.

2) Detailing the passenger's cabin. This would create issues with the wires for elevator and rudder.

3) Detailing the rudder and elevator. It seems like Fokker used to build the tail feather like with the WWI fighters, so ribs and linen covering. I'd like to add thin balsa strings sanded to shape before i cover the tail here.

Obviously working on these will delay the maiden quite a bit. I'd like to detail the motor, but that requires no changes to the plan and can be done after maiden, too.

I'd have no problem leaving out all the above mentioned detailing and finish the build as shown in the plan, if you like me to.

What do you think?

gupi
Old Aug 22, 2010, 04:01 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,759 Posts
gupi,
If not where they are shown, where did you intend to put the servos? To fully detail both cockpit and cabin, the servos would need to go a long way back.
I envisaged something more like an instrument panel and pilot figure, maybe curtains at the cabin windows and tapes on the tail surfaces to simulate ribs.
I suppose the servos could be moved down and a half depth cockpit fitted. However, the cables would still run through the cabin area. I'd much prefer you just to use tape to simulate tail ribs.

I've been watching your DVII thread, so know what you have in mind to some extent. Your semi-transparent tissue finish would nicely retain the 'feel' that this is a model, would too much detail detract from that effect?
Conversely, with a detailed interior,would a tissue finish be in keeping - without adding paint?

Pete
Old Aug 22, 2010, 07:11 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
You definitely need to keep the weight down on these little models, Gupi - I tend to just add an instrument panel and light carved foam pilot.

If you're going for the Danzig colour scheme (which looks very attractive) then coloured marker pens could be used to draw on the tail tapes; light gray pen for the white tail and a dark red pen for the rudder. Lighter than gluing on strips of tape.

After you've built this little prototype, you could build a 60" version and detail it all you want
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Aug 23, 2010, 02:15 PM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
845 Posts
Regarding the Danzig colors: The Dz-3 was later registered as D-175 (?) and CH-151 (Balair). See attached photo. The problem is, that the Fokker-Grulich has a quite different nose than the round nose of Pete's drawing, which shows the original Fokker F.II. See attached photo of KLM Fokker.

So I'm not sure if I should still do the Danzig colors. Actually the KLM colors would be more fit.

What do you think?

gupi
Old Aug 23, 2010, 03:47 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,759 Posts
KLM colours sounds good to me. Not as interesting, but more fitting for the particular variant.

Pete
Old Aug 24, 2010, 01:44 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
845 Posts
Or has anybody got an idea what colors the Fokker prototype used?

gupi