HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2010, 12:46 AM
Joined May 2010
11 Posts
Discussion
New Fly Fly Fox 3m

This big box just arrived today....
I ordered it August 4th. It shipped EMS from China on the 6th and here it is in Australia on the 9th!!!! I've never had anything ship that quickly.
Anyway to the unpacking. It came double boxed but it sure was sad to see it heavily creased near the middle (see photo). I thought about not accepting the parcel but I decided to make the postman wait till I had a quick look inside. All looked fine. The box had taken the brunt of the rough treatment.
Upon careful inspection all that I found amiss was a tiny 5mm long crack in the fuselage 2/3 from the nose which was of no consequence. Some small dents in the wing were evidently caused by the very heavy solid carbon fibre rod bashing about. It had not been wrapped nor secured properly in the box.
I must say the glass is beautiful! The shrink film on the wings is better than expected with only a few small crinkles - easily fixed. She will look lovely in the air!! The general build quality is high for a Chinese built kit. There is an enormous area for servos and radio gear and the hardware kit is very complete if not great quality. The landing gear is quite low quality but should survive careful use.
Now to the important stuff. The following measurements confirm that this model might have better thermalling potential than the FlyFly ASW28, DG1000 or the Condor.
Fuselage 915g
Wings 933g (within 3g of each other!)
Carbon rod 168g!
Elevator/stab 177g
Canopy 118g
Hardware 145g
For a total weight (no radio or servos) of 2.46kg. Nothing like the 1.9kg they state on the box but who was expecting it to be! Measured wing area however comes in at 54dm2 which is a bit higher than the 50dm2 claimed. So if the AUW can be kept below 2.8kg one could achieve 52g/dm2 or 17oz/ft2. Still a bit porky for thermalling but OK on the slope or under power. It will be interesting to see what it needs up front to balance.
I've attached some photos of the inside of the fuselage and the solid build quality is evident. You may notice that a motor mount is already in place in the nose and that may the way to go with this one.
There is quite bit of work to get this bird into the air but I'm hoping to get the time over the next few weeks. I haven't decided exactly how to proceed with it yet. Perhaps try it on the slope first and then maybe put a 4240 in it, if it will fit. Any comments or suggestions welcome. Charles
novost is offline Find More Posts by novost
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2010, 02:55 AM
Joined Jul 2004
2,586 Posts
very nice, look forward to your build
Big Nuts 181 is online now Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Old Aug 10, 2010, 09:25 AM
The Far East
Joined Jan 2006
853 Posts
Where did you order it from?
suirendoujin is offline Find More Posts by suirendoujin
Old Aug 10, 2010, 09:50 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,609 Posts
I've been looking at Hobby88
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:57 AM
Joined May 2010
11 Posts
I bought direct from Hobby88. Fly FLy wouldn't sell to me. Cost a packet to ship to Australia!
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:59 AM
Joined May 2010
11 Posts
The Australian distributor had no stock!
Old Aug 11, 2010, 07:07 AM
Melbourne,Victoria,Australia
Joined Apr 2010
1,509 Posts
Novost-it will weigh alot more than 2.8 kg,allow at least 300 grams plus for ballast and then receiver battery-100 grams ,6 servos-? grams-depends on type and size used.But still, if it comes in at 3.2kg,it will still be okay.My condor weighs 2.813 grams-COMPLETED-FLYING WEIGHT-balanced to correct C of G.Its wing loading is 17 oz/sq foot,and is built for slope only,extra glass in the cockpit belly,it has the same wing area as your fox and eppler 205 airfoil as well-highlift-flatbottom.Were going to have an electric version,but its to crammed-slim fueslage.Your fox has heaps more room in the cockpit,like my ASW 28.Even at 20-oz/sq foot it,the fox would still thermal okay,no reason why it cant.Hope all goes well with your build,regards damo
Damian Couzoff is offline Find More Posts by Damian Couzoff
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2010, 05:05 PM
Joined May 2010
11 Posts
Thanks for the comments Damo! What did your Condor start out at without electronics, servos etc? Mine's at only 2.46kg at the moment but the ballast to get correct CG will be the killer. Perhpas I'll test fit her together this weekend and get a rough idea where CG is at the moment, to put my mind at rest. May I ask how you fitted your Condor out? What servos etc? If you've posted this info elsewhere can you give me the link? I'm still assessing the options and would appreciate any suggestions. Cheers, Charles
Old Aug 12, 2010, 03:51 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,509 Posts
Check out Condor-scale sailplanes-USA.This thread was started by dave pope,build/fly log of his condor.I wouldnt be to concerned about the choice of servos,as standard servos weigh-45 grams-cockpit,wing servos-17 grams-hitec hs-82 MG for ailerons and flaps.As l said in my last posting,the fox will come in at APPROX 3.2kg,no matter what,it will still fly well,because of the eppler 205,these airfoils produce high lift,so extra weight is not going to be a problem.regards damo
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 12, 2010, 04:16 PM
Ireland
Joined Oct 2007
168 Posts
Good luck with the build
Eiretime is offline Find More Posts by Eiretime
Old Aug 12, 2010, 07:13 PM
Less Whinning, More Flying
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,740 Posts
At least the fuse isn't twisted like a lot of their earlier models.
Sailhigh is offline Find More Posts by Sailhigh
Old Aug 14, 2010, 10:03 PM
Joined Apr 2010
1,509 Posts
TRUE-lucky all my top-gun models have been good-straight fin-90 degrees to the fueslage.Dont know about the earlier ones-but that is a real shame.CMPRO all have twisted booms,as l found out with my cmpro ventus.and my flying dream cs discus has a straight boom.,and flies really well,regards damo
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:42 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,609 Posts
I like the FOX's , ever since my 2004 Aero Tow entre Jurassic 2M Fox !

I'm watching this one closely !

BTW
My FD Discus is going to maiden via Aero Tow this coming weekend :-)
IF I can get it to balance ! and the weather cooperates.
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:01 PM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,894 Posts
Any progress?
Ben D Wing is offline Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
Old Aug 25, 2010, 02:13 PM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Hobby88 is, I think, a fairly new outfit, at least I've only come across them recently and if you go to the FlyFly site they say Hobby88 is their distributor.

Now I had a tussle with them over the EMS shipping cost of my ASK-21 which according to their auto checkout procedure would cost $91.20 at a shipping weight of 6.3 Kgs. When I got it I weighed the package at 4Kg and also noted on the customs documentation they'd put it 4.03 Kg. I've been in touch with Mandy explaining that I think overstating the shipping weight/cost by that much will cost them sales and she's come back to me admitting that they're getting organised and had estimated the weights. Nonetheless if I'd paid the $91.20 (I didn't - I negotiated a rate which was approximately correct for 4kg) they'd have successfully "estimated" themselves another $30+ extra profit. I'm hoping they'll change their auto-checkout weights but they haven't yet so my advice is to operate with some care. The Condor weighs about the same as the Fox. Albert at Aero-fever will EMS a Condor to me at a shipped weight of 4.3kg. Hobby88 say its 6.3kg - and that equates to $30 or so difference.

This isn't a beef. I really want to see Hobby88 succeed and prosper but do it by offering me good availability of FlyFly stuff, give me good service and don't rip me off (or more likely lose my business) by overcharging for shipping. Hope you all understand where I'm coming from. Albert's availability of FlyFly stuff seems to be decreasing but Aerofever is where you can get a reality check on your shipping costs!
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard