SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:58 AM
Italy
Joined Sep 2009
79 Posts
Junkers 88 Profile - Model Airplane News September 1970

I was looking for the scans of the article describing the Junkers Ju.88 CL scale profile, featured in Model Airplane News, September 1970.

The second part of the article (already posted in this thread by 50+AirYears, see report #425) appeared in Model Airplane News, December 1970 and described the 'Mistel' composite aircraft (the Ju.88 coupled with a Fw-190).

Thank you in advance

Z1007
Z1007 is offline Find More Posts by Z1007
Last edited by Z1007; Nov 08, 2012 at 08:05 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:48 AM
Joined Oct 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fokkit View Post
Hi All,
Scanned through all the plans but did not find it so. . . .

Does anyone have a copy of the plan for the Pinnacle F2B model sold by Performance Kits of Coventry in the early 1960's?

Any help tracking this one down gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance

TTFN
John.
Nice looking model. Any luck with a plan.
AussieBrusta is offline Find More Posts by AussieBrusta
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:36 PM
Joined Dec 2009
10 Posts
Yep, surprisingly it turned out one of our club members had it. I had originally requested it for a friend although I have to admit I had always fancied it myself as well. I believe he also has a separate sheet with many of the part patterns as well. Hopefully wheels are in motion to try to get a digitised copy which we will post here and Hip Pocket etc all being well.

Watch this space as they say...

TTFN
John.
fokkit is offline Find More Posts by fokkit
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:59 PM
New Zealand, Waikato, Cambridge
Joined Dec 2011
33 Posts
Sterling Ringmaster kit

Some years ago I purchased a Ringmaster kit on ebay and tucked it away for the future. I have recently pulled it out and have found that all of the wing ribs are missing. To make matters worse the plan is also missing so I am completely in the dark as to what the rib shape should be.

Would anyone have a copy of the plan available or even a copy of the rib shape so that I can go from there. The rest shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers Mike
kiwi285 is offline Find More Posts by kiwi285
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:48 PM
Joined Nov 2008
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi285 View Post
Some years ago I purchased a Ringmaster kit on ebay and tucked it away for the future. I have recently pulled it out and have found that all of the wing ribs are missing. To make matters worse the plan is also missing so I am completely in the dark as to what the rib shape should be.

Would anyone have a copy of the plan available or even a copy of the rib shape so that I can go from there. The rest shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers Mike
Mike,

this one should suit your purpose. It came from either Outerzone or Hippocket.

Ray
locktite401 is offline Find More Posts by locktite401
Last edited by locktite401; Nov 10, 2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:52 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,373 Posts
Here's an English language version :

g
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:29 PM
Joined Dec 2009
10 Posts
Hi Mike,
Do you know which Ringmaster you have? The plans above are the Vintage/OTS legal S-1. (The original design). If the one you have shows top/bottom spars it's possibly an S-1A although there are a number of different versions.

Join the "Brotherhood of the Ring". More info on there than you could ever need.

http://www.brotherhoodofthering.info/

Even if it's not an S-1 or S-1A there will be someone on there who can sort you out..

Also be sure to have it ready for Oct 2013 for the "World Wide Ringmaster Flyathon".

TTFN
John.
fokkit is offline Find More Posts by fokkit
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:27 PM
2948 scale Combat
Maryland
Joined Aug 2004
600 Posts
The 2 PDFs are the S1 Original redrawn and Original revised redrawn;
They say Matt Kania 1951 and this is how disigned it and when.

The Original revised redrawn bottom name P.D.King has some ringmaster kits
critter1340 is offline Find More Posts by critter1340
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:55 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
What are the differences among the several variations of the original Mat Kania design? I mean the profile fuselage types most mounted 35s to.
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Last edited by tigreflyer; Nov 11, 2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:05 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
845 Posts
None. An S-1 stayed the same for about twenty years. It has a 42" span, a single wing spar, and it needs tightly stretched silkspan or real silk covering. The outboard wing will "flap" mildly when covered with plastic film, and subject to any turbulence or sharp-turning maneuvers, increasing in magnitude over time, until the center joints come apart.

The S-1A was designed for covering film, in the mid-1970s. It has a C-tube wing with two spars and LE sheeting, but the airfoil is basically unchanged, so for similar finished weights, flies about the same as an S-1, in other words, not so very well.

The Sterling P-51 and Yak-9 were also Kania's, with a still-thinner airfoil, and most of the PDQ kits were his designs. The (PDQ) Circus King is, at its core, a Ringmaster with a somewhat less ugly empennage. The Super Clown is probably the best flying of his profile designs, but with its flaps glued in place, not coupled with the elevator.

Kiwi
The Kiwi is online now Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Last edited by The Kiwi; Nov 12, 2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:20 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
I built a Magician with coupled flaps with an OS 35 stunt and a clunk tank on muffler pressure. It was a kit plane and flew very well. I can't see how fixed flaps would have made if fly better, but I admit there might be a thing or 2 I don't know about CL flying.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:08 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigreflyer View Post
I built a Magician with coupled flaps with an OS 35 stunt and a clunk tank on muffler pressure. It was a kit plane and flew very well. I can't see how fixed flaps would have made if fly better, but I admit there might be a thing or 2 I don't know about CL flying.
For coupled flaps to work correctly, they cannot "fight" the elevator. A plane with coupled flaps NEEDS more space between the flaps and the elevator than one with fixed flaps. The Magician design was based on a fixed flap, and had a short tail moment, with a long nose moment (for a profile). The SIG Banshee was also designed the same way. A lot of builders hinged the flaps on Super Clowns and messed up an otherwise nice-flying model.

In both cases, when the kits were re-engineered for production, the plans showed coupled flaps, not fixed flaps with optional coupling matched to moving the stab closer to the rear end of the fuselage (the Banshee requires that the wing cutout be glued back into the fuselage blank, and then recut an inch and a half further forward).

Two Magicians built side by side with the same wood selection, and a finished weight the same, with engines matched up, one with fixed flaps and one coupled, and compared for aerobatic ability, will show the difference. The flaps simply don't add any capability, while making smooth flying more difficult, such that the flapped plane will need its CG moved forward, or its stab and flap removed and replaced with greatly increased size parts back there, to overpower the flaps' effects.

(Move the stab back, AND enlarge its area, and really see what a flapped plane should fly like.)

Kiwi
The Kiwi is online now Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:59 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Come to think about it, I did move the stab back when I built my Magician..probably 6 inches behind wing/flaps.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:20 PM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,227 Posts
Here's a Finnish design for you. No full size plan, though: just an unedited scan from a book or magazine, that was posted elsewhere.

Trumf Special
Designed by Olof Sundell, who did well in Team Racing circles with his brother Guy, in 1960s
Published in the "Ilmailu" magazine in 1961.
Span 1350 mm
Originally powered with a Merco 35

I got a few photos from Alf Lindholm who also has one of these. I believe there's at least one flying in Norway.
perttime is online now Find More Posts by perttime
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:23 PM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
607 Posts
Two More Itialian stunters with thank to of our member gghisleri for supplying them

Arca 1.2m span

Astro 1.5m span
aeromeddeler is offline Find More Posts by aeromeddeler