HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2012, 04:09 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,101 Posts
Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggles47 View Post
There are a couple of similar looking models on the Hip Pocket Plans Gallery - Fox Feathers & Gemini.

Worth a look.

G
Downloaded the ones I liked from Hip Pocket Plans Gallery ..

I have a dozen or so plans :

The Russians were developing some nice models late 60's early 70's .. Just not much documentation
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wow -
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2012, 01:26 PM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Pompano Beach
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Wow great selection! which ones the best?
zeroback is offline Find More Posts by zeroback
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 21, 2012, 06:44 PM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
607 Posts
Last ones from Model Aircraft. Do have a few unscanned copies when I sort them out I will post them.

Altagerra 56" Span C/L stunt from Model Aircraft September 1961

Ellipitas 36" span C/L Trainer from Model Aircraft October 1961
aeromeddeler is offline Find More Posts by aeromeddeler
Old Aug 21, 2012, 07:19 PM
United States, IN, Liberty
Joined Feb 2011
211 Posts
Does anyone have a plan of the Scarinzi Streak? I saw one on here but a huge corner of the page was either folded or removed, taking with it some of the templates.

Rolla
Godsey is online now Find More Posts by Godsey
Old Aug 22, 2012, 05:27 PM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
607 Posts
These are not my scans but taken from the scans of the magazine by Zoe Quilter and held on Colin Ushers site. These have then been worked on by me.
http://www.colinusher.info/Model%20Aircraft/images.html

Model Aircraft January 1958

Scimitar 45"span C/L stunt

FW 190 25" span scale C/L team racer
Last edited by aeromeddeler; Sep 02, 2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:19 PM
Joined Jul 2011
182 Posts
Zoe Quilter and Colin Usher web sites

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromeddeler View Post
These are not my scans but taken from the scans of the magazine by Zoe Quilter and held on Colin Ushers site. These have then been worked on by me.
http://www.colinusher.info/Model%20Aircraft/images.html

Model Aircraft January 1958

Scimitar 45"span C/L stunt

FW 190 25" span scale C/L team racer
Both excellent web sites packed full of great reference materials.

The problem with magazine plan scans is that the size has been kept down to the bear minimum for easy downloading of the full magazines files. which in turn makes for awful plans when being enlarged to full size even after being worked on with Adobe Photo Shop or Gimp you still just wind up generating a lot of costly scrap paper at the print shop.

Its a lot of work to download a plan and then have to completely redraw it in CAD but it maybe the only way to get a workable clean copy of these old mag plans with crisp clean unbroken lines and readable text.

To me some how they are never quite the same once converted in to CAD. as they were when hand drawn by there
original draftsman
Ratracer is offline Find More Posts by Ratracer
Last edited by Ratracer; Aug 22, 2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 12:52 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,130 Posts
I think the Scimitar and the FW190 that aeromeddler posted are both very useful plans, as they are. Yes, the PDFs are a bit grainy and low resolution, and that of course is because the scans originally posted by Zoe were low resolution. So that is all we have to work with at the moment. Me, I think these are useful, and much better than nothing. I spend a lot of my time replacing plans with a better version of the same plan - when that better version comes along. But the point is that with these, there IS no better version, as of now. So until then a grainy pdf is much better than nothing. Just my 2c.
WMD is online now Find More Posts by WMD
Old Sep 02, 2012, 05:47 PM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratracer View Post
Both excellent web sites packed full of great reference materials.

The problem with magazine plan scans is that the size has been kept down to the bear minimum for easy downloading of the full magazines files. which in turn makes for awful plans when being enlarged to full size even after being worked on with Adobe Photo Shop or Gimp you still just wind up generating a lot of costly scrap paper at the print shop.

Its a lot of work to download a plan and then have to completely redraw it in CAD but it maybe the only way to get a workable clean copy of these old mag plans with crisp clean unbroken lines and readable text.

To me some how they are never quite the same once converted in to CAD. as they were when hand drawn by there
original draftsman
Ok lets deal with the valid but somewhat overcritical post by ratracer. Nothing wrong with magazine plans the problem here is that Zoe uses Linux software. Some of scans are at 200+dpi butt he software to post to the web cuts the picture down to half size. If I had the original magazines I would indeed scan the plans in myself but as so few are posting MA plans it would be a shame to not try and save what we can and hope a better copy comes along. All the plans are buildable as I always put them through isiplot to ensure that they are readable. (it tiles the plan to various sizes of paper but the preview is actual size). CAD or drafted well each to his own but if it is a plan I want to build then I don't care if it is drawn on the back of a fag packet, if I want to hang it on a wall then yes there are better plans out there.
So feeling deeply hurt I went back and tried a different tack. First I printed of the plan then scanned it back in at 1200 dpi then full sized and cleaned up. I think it looks better. I have replaced the Scimitar and the ME109 with plans using this method.
Obviously the bigger the full size plan the less well it will be able to be full sized but all are capable of being built.

here is another from MA July 1952

Greenfly a 31" span Class B Team Racer

Original scan by Zoe Quilter
Last edited by aeromeddeler; Sep 03, 2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:16 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined May 2011
11 Posts
It looks to me that the plans were scanned using black/white mode rather than grey scale. This always chops up the scanned lines and puts black dots all over the place as well as making the text hard to read.

Cheers Bill
jaguarsrule is offline Find More Posts by jaguarsrule
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:35 AM
Greggles47
Sydney OZ
Joined May 2007
397 Posts
What came first, the Scimitar or the Spectre?

Both similar sizes and look alikes.

I have a Spectre kit waiting (im)patiently to be built for my very loverly Rustler Olly repro.

G
greggles47 is offline Find More Posts by greggles47
Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:06 AM
Joined Nov 2008
286 Posts
Nice job aeromeddeler,

I have a Greenfly wing blanked up in my collection of "pending" model builds. Your efforts may push the project quite a bit closer to the front.

One small quibble, the Greenfly was a B Class Team Racer for the Amco 3.5cc diesel engine.

Should make a fine Vintage B with an Enya .29 and a slightly shorter nose moment.

Ray
locktite401 is offline Find More Posts by locktite401
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:44 AM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguarsrule View Post
It looks to me that the plans were scanned using black/white mode rather than grey scale. This always chops up the scanned lines and puts black dots all over the place as well as making the text hard to read.

Cheers Bill
all plans are black and white with various shades of grey in-between except those in colour
I tried scanning in true colour, colour, true grey and greyscale the problem is with the original scan from the Zoe Quilter posting.Once blown up to fullsize the crispness goes. the scans were converted to bmp to get them down to a size you can post on the forum .but were no better before conversion Scanning in black and white should not chop lines and put black dots all over the place if the res is set correctly if this is happening to you should check your scanner and the software.
Have attached to original page from Zoe`s site so all feel free to improve the plan and if you do dont forget to post it and let us know how you did it
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:53 AM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
607 Posts
see above
Last edited by aeromeddeler; Sep 03, 2012 at 10:55 AM. Reason: duplicate post
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:35 PM
United Kingdom, Tonbridge
Joined Oct 2011
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromeddeler View Post
all plans are black and white with various shades of grey in-between except those in colour
I tried scanning in true colour, colour, true grey and greyscale the problem is with the original scan from the Zoe Quilter posting.Once blown up to fullsize the crispness goes. the scans were converted to bmp to get them down to a size you can post on the forum .but were no better before conversion Scanning in black and white should not chop lines and put black dots all over the place if the res is set correctly if this is happening to you should check your scanner and the software.
Have attached to original page from Zoe`s site so all feel free to improve the plan and if you do dont forget to post it and let us know how you did it
I must admit one of the reasons that I started doing the CAD tracings is because of the unclear scans that I had - even at 300dpi. I noticed that a lot of the detail was being obscured, especially by the diagonal background lines. So now I have tracings of most plans issued during the 50's by the Aeromodeller and a good selection of those printed in the Model Aircraft. I admit the CAD tracings don't have the character of the originals, they may even contain more mistakes than the original, but they are clear, the correct size and can easily be built from. As with all things people will keep what they will, my tracings are but another option available to them.

As for advice for doing them. Well the changing of a scan ready for import into AutoCad is already available on the OuterZone site. Steve, who looks after the site has been after a continuation, such as doing the drawings. Well they will come, honest folks, but it's motorbiking weather (Germany and Austria this week), model flying weather (unfortunately crashed my Mini Super this weekend), microlighting weather (next flight on the 13th on my return) and the dentist has been doing a good job of emptying both my mouth and my wallet!!! Steve and I are, however, looking to do a joint venture for the tutorials so keep your eyes on the Outer Zone site.

For what it's worth here is my version of the Scimitar. My normal caveat, measure before cutting, applies.

Whatever you do though - enjoy whichever format you like - it is just an extension of the wide variety that is available in this wonderful hobby of ours
hogal is offline Find More Posts by hogal
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:45 PM
pd1
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Jun 2006
2,124 Posts
hogal, Those CAD drawings look like a lot of work, I think they are great.
I'd build from them any day.
pd1 is offline Find More Posts by pd1
RCG Plus Member