SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 26, 2003, 02:30 PM
Champaign. Illinois
Joined Jun 2003
755 Posts
How to transport many RC planes?

I am moving and i have ALOT of RC planes of all shapes and sizes. Does anyone have a good way of transporting fuselages, and wings? I have alot of boxes, but most are to small or to short. I was thinking of a hobby store to get the boxes all the huge ARF boxes came in. Any ideas would really help.
Mattfly is online now Find More Posts by Mattfly
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2003, 03:03 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2000
1,130 Posts
Use wardrobe boxes, the kind for moving clothes on hangers. Use two wardrobe boxes end to end for longer wings. Also wrap wings and fuselages in bubble wrap before putting in wardrobe boxes. You can use one box for a lot of wings, but you will only be able to get a couple of fuselages in one wardrobe box. I've done this a couple of times and haven't had an issue. I also suggest you sell any airplanes you don't use to often.
JeffD is offline Find More Posts by JeffD
Old Jun 26, 2003, 03:06 PM
slow but inefficient
Riverhead NY USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,097 Posts
Hi Mattfly -

I'd look for a florist and check on the boxes in which they receive fresh flowers. They almost always throw them away and they're sturdy and very large; I've had good luck with them saving boxes for me if I pick them up and get them out of the way.

I'd also look for an outfit that made foam furniture and try to pick up scraps to stuff in the boxes to soften the trip.

Ron
Ron Williams is offline Find More Posts by Ron Williams
Old Jun 26, 2003, 03:18 PM
Champaign. Illinois
Joined Jun 2003
755 Posts
Thanks for the replies Ron and Jeff. Yeah i have alot of planes of so many shapes and sizes its gonna be "fun" to get it all packed. hehehe
Mattfly is online now Find More Posts by Mattfly
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 27, 2003, 04:23 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
A lot depends on if you are moving yourself, or entrusting the lot to someone else.

If its a short distance across town, I'd simply stuff em in the back of the car and drive carefuly at 3 a.m. (Yes officer, they are model planes, and I am moving house, and they ae fragile that'#s why I am doing it without being bothered by other road users...or was...)

IF OTOH its a long distance, and by a big truck, I'd get some chipboard, and make a HUGE coffin, in which they all can fit. 3/4" wood at the least, and then set to with some white foam and make compartmenst for everything.

My experience of shipping companies is, that if it can be thrown, it will be, so make it too big and heavy!

A couple of runners on the base for fork lift palleting is good too..and make sure that nothing is near the edges - fork lift penetration is possible!

When ecverything is in (bagged in poly bags and lightly but firmly held in place) fill it all up with those poly worm things and any scrap bits of foam left over. That stops stuff moving around.

Given that your airframes are probly stressed to 10g, that should be proof against anything that doesn't smash the box, and insurance will cover that.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1