Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 07, 2010, 06:01 PM
Joined Jun 2010
549 Posts
Question
home made indoor, roll vs yaw

hi,
i am planning on making an indoor plane, but i need to choose between yaw and roll,

i will be making it to unlimited vertical and nearly hover so the flaps will be in the prop wash,
bit should i have a v-tail, x-tail ,t-tail or Tailerons
v-tail has roll
x-tail has yaw
t-tail has yaw
Tailerons has roll
bradleyK is offline Find More Posts by bradleyK
Last edited by bradleyK; Aug 09, 2010 at 03:17 AM. Reason: Tailerons not elevators
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2010, 07:43 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,608 Posts
A 3D plane needs all functions, roll (ailerons) pitch (elevator) and yaw (rudder)

Almost all 3D foamies use X or cross tail, due to the "shockie" style of construction.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Aug 07, 2010, 07:59 PM
Joined Jun 2010
549 Posts
sorry i meant vertical flight
3d as in xyz
Old Aug 08, 2010, 08:02 AM
Ireland, Kildare, Leixlip
Joined May 2002
6,441 Posts
I'm a little confused by your first post but hopefully the following will be useful.

Tee, Vee and conventional cruciform tail configurations can all provide pitch and yaw control. In theory they can all be set-up to provide some roll control too but that's not likely to work well for most aircraft and is usually only done on planes with a small span and large all moving tails like say an F-16 type configuration.

Both conventional cruciform tails and Tee tails are almost always fitted with an elevator or all moving tailplane and a rudder is fitted whenever yaw control is needed. Almost all precision aerobatic planes will have a conventional cruciform tail with a rudder. The main considerations for a Tee tail are that the tail is likely to be heavier, give less symmetrical handling and lower drag. So Tee tail can be good for speed or efficiency but not great for aerobatics.
A vee tail provides the same controls as the other two configurations but because the control surfaces are not in the vertical and horizontal planes it's necessary to mix the movements of the two surfaces to get the appropriate proportions of pitch and yaw control. So the surfaces will move in the same or opposite directions depending on whether pitch or yaw is required and a combination of the two controls involves a mix of the control surface movements. The yaw control from a Vee tail does also produce roll but not effectively and it's not treated as a roll control so much as a yaw control with coupling.
The vee tail is typically lighter than a Tee tail, produces low drag but will tend to to give assymetrical handling.

Roll control is dealt with by ailerons on the main wings for the vast majority of aircraft.

Aidan
Aio_1 is offline Find More Posts by Aio_1
Old Aug 08, 2010, 09:46 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,608 Posts
Perhaps he want to make a "tail stander"?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=vtol+foam

I think they use 4 control surfaces, with mixing. A local guy has made a few of these, but I never looked too closely at them.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Aug 09, 2010, 01:47 AM
Joined Jun 2010
549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aio_1 View Post
I'm a little confused by your first post but hopefully the following will be useful.

Tee, Vee and conventional cruciform tail configurations can all provide pitch and yaw control. In theory they can all be set-up to provide some roll control too but that's not likely to work well for most aircraft and is usually only done on planes with a small span and large all moving tails like say an F-16 type configuration.

Both conventional cruciform tails and Tee tails are almost always fitted with an elevator or all moving tailplane and a rudder is fitted whenever yaw control is needed. Almost all precision aerobatic planes will have a conventional cruciform tail with a rudder. The main considerations for a Tee tail are that the tail is likely to be heavier, give less symmetrical handling and lower drag. So Tee tail can be good for speed or efficiency but not great for aerobatics.
A vee tail provides the same controls as the other two configurations but because the control surfaces are not in the vertical and horizontal planes it's necessary to mix the movements of the two surfaces to get the appropriate proportions of pitch and yaw control. So the surfaces will move in the same or opposite directions depending on whether pitch or yaw is required and a combination of the two controls involves a mix of the control surface movements. The yaw control from a Vee tail does also produce roll but not effectively and it's not treated as a roll control so much as a yaw control with coupling.
The vee tail is typically lighter than a Tee tail, produces low drag but will tend to to give assymetrical handling.

Roll control is dealt with by ailerons on the main wings for the vast majority of aircraft.

Aidan
thanks

i meant Tailerons not elevators
Last edited by bradleyK; Aug 09, 2010 at 03:01 AM.
Old Aug 09, 2010, 10:14 AM
Joined May 2002
6,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyK View Post
thanks

i meant Tailerons not elevators
I think you need to tell us more about your project. I would assume, given this is the F3P forum, that we're talking about a precision aerobatic plane but that seems unlikely if you're talking about tailerons.
Can you tell us what style of plane you have in mind and how you want it to perform?
Old Aug 09, 2010, 05:23 PM
Joined Jun 2010
549 Posts
i want to make a sort of Concorde
but i only have 2 servos and a 3 ch receiver
Old Aug 09, 2010, 05:49 PM
Fly lower!
West Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,391 Posts
Quote:
BradleyK,

I think you might have much better response to your question in the foamy scratch build thread: The folks over there will be much more familiar with the construction and mix techniques needed for your type of build.

http://www.rcgroups.com/foamies-scratchbuilt-428/

This thread deals with indoor competition pattern and freestyle planes. Hope this helps, and good luck with your build.

aerolite
aerolite is offline Find More Posts by aerolite
Old Aug 10, 2010, 01:28 AM
Joined May 2002
6,441 Posts
Quote:
In that case you need to use elevons on the wing trailing edge, mixing pitch and roll control. Yaw cannot replace roll unless you've got significant dihedral which wouldn't really be appropriate for that type of plane.

As aerolite said this belongs in another forum. Also you need to tell people exactly what it is you're trying to find out and give sufficient information to answer your questions. Otherwise those trying to help you will end up wasting their time answering the wrong question.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 08:48 AM
Joined Jun 2010
549 Posts
thank you very much