HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2010, 02:54 PM
Fort Wayne IN
Joined Aug 2007
233 Posts
Discussion
Bluefish Maiden Voyage

Just back from the pond with my Dumas Bluefish intact. I had always hesitated to tackle this product due to its troubled reputation. But I found this build to be one of the easiest and quickest. (I do have thin fingers though).

The secret may have been with my choice of glue. I used a two part product called "Plastic Welder" from Devcon (I believe). This stuff really does "weld" plastic together.

As for the run today....

Good news - It floats, it resurfaced, and it stayed dry inside.
Bad news - Radio range with my 27 Mhz Futaba was only about 12 feet. Also some minor condensation inside.

I will need to remove some ballast as it was a tad heavy in the stern. That may explain why it loved to dive and go deep in a hurry.

If you don't recognize the silhouette, this model was built to resemble my Great Uncle's command, the pre-war V-7, USS Dolphin SS-169. He was in command of this sub when it was docked in Pearl Harbor for major work during the month of December 1941.

For the hatch, I used square nuts encased in styrene under the compartment top to mate with 6/32 screws coming down through a clear plastic cover.. The clear styrene cover uses a rubber shelf liner to create the seal. The ESC is a Viper which is a waterproof design.

Any thoughts on how to improve the radio range?
linerfanatic is offline Find More Posts by linerfanatic
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:26 AM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
Liner,

Nice build you have an awesome model there, as far as your range question I would suggest talking to the sub guys as I am sure they have come across this before.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:46 AM
miniture aircraft pilot
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Oct 2007
1,334 Posts
from all i heard about this sub , i was always hesitant to pull the trigger, till i saw your post, so i will have that to assemble soon also.
rcshirt is online now Find More Posts by rcshirt
Old Nov 14, 2010, 08:49 AM
Chicago
Joined Jul 2010
46 Posts
I'm hoping to build one soon. Is yours setup to be static or dynamic diving?
ravemaster99 is offline Find More Posts by ravemaster99
Old Nov 14, 2010, 05:34 PM
Fort Wayne IN
Joined Aug 2007
233 Posts
Dynamic. For me, the hull was simply too small to accommodate the equipment needed for static diving. Though the running season is now over in the Midwest, I have logged four successful voyages now. I solved the radio range problem with fresh transmitter batteries. I cannot emphasize enough how the proper choice of glue made the difference between a struggle and a success. Good luck!
linerfanatic is offline Find More Posts by linerfanatic