HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:12 PM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aender69 View Post
Problems so far with mine:

- wingtips bent on arrival, not packed double-boxed, easily fixed, the box is simply to small and fits to tight. And that for 27 $!!!

Damage: non visible

- motor flew off on the second flight, factory did not tighten one of the two hex grub screws holding the motor itself on the mount. difficult to access and to check from the outside.

Damage: none

- Propeller flew off after 6 flights, motor runtime about 12 - 15 minutes (this time without the motor); fixed with tiny 3mm screw-on thingy (sorry I can't remember the name in English for the female part) on the motor axe, no loctite, potentially a time-bomb--- it will come loose some time.

Damage: none, but could lead to a dangerous situation if you need power at a critical point...

Finally: The chinabell gets quite hot.

Otherwise fantastic airplane for the money, replaces my Easyglider which died of old age. Beautiful to see in the skies, calm and relaxing flight, takes wind up to 3 - 4 bft (o.k. I agree 4 bft is a bit much, but it works)

Have many happy hours with this one, and many passers-by stopping and staring....
Oh my $$$ .......

Eveything is loose or without thread lock ...... everything!!!!!!

I can't believe I just did another 30 minutes in challenging slope conditions and got away with it ....

Prop blades are held on with locknuts ..... so OK .....

folding prop Hub is held on with a regular nut and washer ..... mine was visibly loose ...... I could spin the nut off with one finger .....
(will use a locknut and a drop of thread lock just to be sure)

to remove the motor from the motor mount you need to undo two grub screws ...... you do this by pushing an allen key through the two holes in the red plastic cowling around the nose of the plane ..... so that's what the holes are for ...... both grub screws were loose ......
(when you refit these grubscrews do it just loosely including thread lock before you reassemble the motor ...... you can then tighten them through the wall of the plastic cowling)

the motor mount is held by three screws/nuts onto three arms which are part of the red plastic cowl that covers the nose ...... these screws were certainly not tight and had no visble thread lock ....

Sorry guys but you have to look at these problems or you are heading for trouble ......
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2010, 01:17 PM
Austin, TX, 78746
Joined Nov 2008
292 Posts
My Minimoa was delivered to my office today

ordered: Order # 2001416969, Date: 12/8/2010 (Paid:12/08/2010 7:29:58 PM)
delivered 11:30 am Aug 19, 2010
That is pretty fast for Hobbycity
I used mail express i think this is mid-range
donaldrtaylor is offline Find More Posts by donaldrtaylor
Old Aug 19, 2010, 03:09 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Minimoa Slope flying today ......

lousy weather .....

so what's new I ask ....

Minimoa glider flying 19th Aug 2010_0001.wmv (13 min 5 sec)
Old Aug 19, 2010, 06:37 PM
Sic transit gloria
Rushmore Academy
Joined Sep 2008
161 Posts
Got my mini yesterday. Pretty damn fast (4 days).
So far no damaged noticed in a quick opening of the box. Seems like pretty good quality. Box size is way too small
MAX FISCHER is offline Find More Posts by MAX FISCHER
Old Aug 19, 2010, 11:52 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie14 View Post
Minimoa Slope flying today ......

lousy weather .....

so what's new I ask ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3Uh0PMi5iA
Good show imagine that you would not need the motor if the wind was right on the slope
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Aug 20, 2010, 03:16 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
Good show imagine that you would not need the motor if the wind was right on the slope
Yep ..... exactly ..... if it was coming in to me from across the lake or even a little off to the right it would be perfect soaring conditions ......

next time! .....
Old Aug 20, 2010, 03:32 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
A tip .......

If you remove the motor by unscrewing two grub screws via the two holes located in the plastic Cowl consider doing this .......

While the motor is out, Increase the size of the two holes to 1/4" or 6mm ..... it means you can easily see the grub screws from the outside and really makes removal and re-fitting the motor a piece of cake ....
Old Aug 20, 2010, 08:32 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,517 Posts
Mine arrived well packed no problems,
My conclusions so far ,motor mount is not a standard type There are three legs to wich a small alloy flange mount is screwed to, the three legs are not symetrically placed in the motor tunnel wich pretty much makes modification for other motors IE 400 sizes with standard cross mounts a hassle,
I tightened everythhing up and loctited ,the spinner I drilled a couple of 7 mm holes on the flats clipped the nose cap on without the blades and set it up in the lathe and drilled a 8mm hole dead centre converting it into a turbo hub, I have shortened 1 pair of blades to give an inch smaller diam'
The hub I found wont take graupner blades .
As others have said every screw nut ect is loose and they are right
all the hinged surfaces also need freeing up or you will have problems with your servo's eventually.
Last edited by olmod; Aug 20, 2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:27 AM
Groundloop World Champion
USA, AZ, Glendale
Joined Jan 2002
1,178 Posts
olmod,.... you noted, "The hub I found won't take Graupner blades ."

Why not ???

Old_dude
old_dude is offline Find More Posts by old_dude
Old Aug 20, 2010, 09:52 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dude View Post
olmod,.... you noted, "The hub I found won't take Graupner blades ."

Why not ???

Old_dude
The Cam blades have thicker lugs.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 06:59 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie14 View Post
Had another 30 mins flying time today ..... here's a few photo's of the detail in mine ....
We went for a wander through Bunnings a large hardware chain here in Oz and found some similar plastic eyletts so a couple of us are following your excellent idea, I reduced the diameter of the eyletts, my buddy has 2 fitted either side on the hatch in front of the screen ,I have 1 placed also in the top of the hatch about 2'' in front of the screen, before fitting I painted it red ,when installed it does not look out of place, will post some pix soon.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 09:48 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
We went for a wander through Bunnings a large hardware chain here in Oz and found some similar plastic eyletts so a couple of us are following your excellent idea, I reduced the diameter of the eyletts, my buddy has 2 fitted either side on the hatch in front of the screen ,I have 1 placed also in the top of the hatch about 2'' in front of the screen, before fitting I painted it red ,when installed it does not look out of place, will post some pix soon.
well done ......
Old Aug 21, 2010, 07:06 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,517 Posts
The elevator hinge I attacked with a HC perforating tool,its a little spiked wheel on a handle for those that dont know about them, I left 3 x3/4'' unperforated on each half which made the elevator easier to move after a bit of flexing, note hole in the centre of the spinner the backplate has been drilled also, August here is a disgusting month windy and rain . added ribbon pull to rear of hatch for ease of opening.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 07:34 PM
What could go wrong?
Dayton , Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
19 Posts
Quote:
The elevator hinge I attacked with a HC perforating tool,its a little spiked wheel on a handle for those that dont know about them, I left 3 x3/4'' unperforated on each half which made the elevator easier to move after a bit of flexing, note hole in the centre of the spinner the backplate has been drilled also, August here is a disgusting month windy and rain . added ribbon pull to rear of hatch for ease of opening.
That is not a cooling hole in the center of the spinner. That is a 20 mm canon for hunting down birds.
lowbubba is offline Find More Posts by lowbubba
Old Aug 22, 2010, 03:16 AM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,428 Posts
can someone please tell me what size the Prop Nut is as i'd like to replace it with a lock nut, also the 2 nuts that hold the folding props on, what size are they? i'm about to do an order from HK so thought i'd get these extra nuts straight up

thanks for ya help

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker