HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2011, 02:25 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie14 View Post
This is the motor I fly with ...... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6524

TURNIGY Bell 2409-18T 1200kv Outrunner

6mm gap between fuse and stock spinner .... I'm happy with it ......
Likewise. A 1200kv motor designed to produce a maximum of 80 watts at something like 9 volts (the original) and a 1200kv motor designed to produce 180 watts with a 3s lipo are not the same thing at all. The motors KV is only one of a number of attributes of the motor.

I have also been using the original prop with this motor with no problems at all. But I do not keep it at full throttle any longer than necessary, I have made mods to let air in and to let air out, and I fly it as a powered glider, not a sport plane. I am sure that if I tried to hang it on it's prop until the battery was exhausted the motor would smoke, the mount would melt and the plane and motor would separate. It is not really necessary to use full throttle much when flying it as a powered glider anyway. There is plenty of power available without coming near full throttle.

That 6mm gap doesn't really yell very loudly once the plane has left my hand. Can't even hear it from a few feet away, particularly if it's flying.

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2011, 02:35 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Please post some fotos of your air in and air out......
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Jan 25, 2011, 02:49 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFanatic View Post
..... but at times turning wouldn't work with ailerons.
I agree with Firepower. It is easy to slow this plane to the point that the ailerons won't really do much, yet it still flies (if you are high enough to put the nose down). I just installed Aerofly Pro Deluxe and there is a model of a 3.6 meter Minimoa in it. It flies very much like our foam versions. It is near impossible to do an aileron roll even with speed. So don't blame the foam version for it's slow aileron response. It seems to be in the original design.

Gord
Old Jan 25, 2011, 03:29 PM
Some restrictions apply
USA, AZ, Tempe
Joined Feb 2003
639 Posts
Received mine last week. Packed well, no damage, no place for secondary joiner. I plan to ventilate, use a smaller prop, and glue down all screws.

I have read the whole thread and I don't see a definitive answer to this: can I use regular CA? My foam safe bottle of CA is all dried out and I want to get some building done today.

Thanks.
emersunn is offline Find More Posts by emersunn
Last edited by emersunn; Jan 25, 2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 03:40 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SON OF PALEFACE View Post
Please post some fotos of your air in and air out......
To get some air in, see the top photo in ChuckTseekers post #776 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=776
I did exactly the same thing to the prop backplate and I also put a 5/16 hole in the nose of the spinner itself.

To get some air out, from my response to you in post #777: "I do agree that letting air in is only half the battle. I did almost exactly the same thing to my spinner as is seen in the video. I also put some holes in the bottom of the fuse, one right behind the skid and another where the small hole was for the antenna wire. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=582"

See post #582 for the pictures. The exit holes are not huge, but they are in what I would think to be a negative pressure area and since I try to limit the heat I create they seem to be quite enough. Works for me at least.

Gord
Old Jan 26, 2011, 03:04 AM
Western Europe 52.7° N 8.9° W
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
Likewise. A 1200kv motor designed to produce a maximum of 80 watts at something like 9 volts (the original) and a 1200kv motor designed to produce 180 watts with a 3s lipo are not the same thing at all. The motors KV is only one of a number of attributes of the motor.

I have also been using the original prop with this motor with no problems at all. But I do not keep it at full throttle any longer than necessary, I have made mods to let air in and to let air out, and I fly it as a powered glider, not a sport plane. I am sure that if I tried to hang it on it's prop until the battery was exhausted the motor would smoke, the mount would melt and the plane and motor would separate. It is not really necessary to use full throttle much when flying it as a powered glider anyway. There is plenty of power available without coming near full throttle.

That 6mm gap doesn't really yell very loudly once the plane has left my hand. Can't even hear it from a few feet away, particularly if it's flying.

Gord
Well let me just say the motor prop combination I have mentioned, and been flying now for just about all the hours I now have on the Minimoa, is ideal, IMHO, for this plane ......

I think we should remember the HK spec for this plane included
"Required:
Your own TX & RX ......
11.1V 2200mAh 3S Lipo"

It was only after repeated motor/motor mount failures around the World that 3 cell lipo's were discovered to be above the plane Manufactures spec .....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Jan 26, 2011, 04:26 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emersunn View Post
Received mine last week. Packed well, no damage, no place for secondary joiner. I plan to ventilate, use a smaller prop, and glue down all screws.

I have read the whole thread and I don't see a definitive answer to this: can I use regular CA? My foam safe bottle of CA is all dried out and I want to get some building done today.

Thanks.
Normal CA works fine but you mentioned:
"and glue down all screws."

What screws are you talking about?
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:34 AM
Some restrictions apply
USA, AZ, Tempe
Joined Feb 2003
639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
Normal CA works fine but you mentioned:
"and glue down all screws."

What screws are you talking about?

Looking back on the thread there are grub screws on the motor that needed securing? Or just tightened and checked often? I don't mean all screws, obviously— I would not be able to disassemble it for transport.
emersunn is offline Find More Posts by emersunn
Old Jan 26, 2011, 01:10 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie14 View Post
Well let me just say the motor prop combination I have mentioned, and been flying now for just about all the hours I now have on the Minimoa, is ideal, IMHO, for this plane ......

I think we should remember the HK spec for this plane included
"Required:
Your own TX & RX ......
11.1V 2200mAh 3S Lipo"

It was only after repeated motor/motor mount failures around the World that 3 cell lipo's were discovered to be above the plane Manufactures spec .....
A Graupner Cam 9 x 5? I will have to order one. It would be nice not to have to even think about how hot it may be getting. BTW, does CAM stand for anything or is it just the manufacturers model identifier like Fiesta is for Ford Fiestas?

Thanks,
Gord
Old Jan 26, 2011, 03:32 PM
Western Europe 52.7° N 8.9° W
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
A Graupner Cam 9 x 5? I will have to order one. It would be nice not to have to even think about how hot it may be getting. BTW, does CAM stand for anything or is it just the manufacturers model identifier like Fiesta is for Ford Fiestas?

Thanks,
Gord
not sure where Cam comes from but it's just a regular looking folding prop and a fine one at that ...... I think I may have had to drill out the prop pin holes to suite the stock Minimoa bolts ..... its a very small increase in dia (2.5mm hole required if I rem) so don't worry about that bit ..... it's not a big deal ...... rem to use thread lock or lock nuts on the bolts .....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Jan 27, 2011, 05:59 AM
Cookie Monster
Australia, QLD, Diddillibah
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
Watch your servos guys,in the last week I lost an elevator and an aileron servo.Lucky to survive the ele servo failure mid flight,the ail servo was fine on takeoff,then buzzing like a mad thing on landing 3 mins later.The ESC (non stock) was also super hot,the servo must have been drawing a heap or stalled itself...Danger for BECS Will Robinson!
Don't trust the barstewards I reckon.
Also re motor,plenty will work,I use the little tower pro 180 watt version,works ok.
bleary is offline Find More Posts by bleary
Old Jan 27, 2011, 06:13 AM
You can't take the sky from me
Slovakia, Bratislava Region, Bratislava
Joined Jun 2006
748 Posts
First what I've done was replacing the stock elevator/rudder servos with HXT900. If you don't believe HXT900, stay on ground! The stock servos are *much* worse than hxt900! If I wouldn't test it myself I would not believe it...
Rastislavko is online now Find More Posts by Rastislavko
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:25 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Aug 2002
235 Posts
Got mine unpacked this evening (no issues) and will be flying tomorrow after work.
Terror Dactyl is offline Find More Posts by Terror Dactyl
Old Jan 28, 2011, 04:20 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terror Dactyl View Post
Got mine unpacked this evening (no issues) and will be flying tomorrow after work.
I hope you are saying No Issues after tomorrow afternoon but if you have not done a few things like unclipped the pushrods and worked the ailerons etc back and forth to loosen them, you might find problems with the servos.

Some people are lucky.
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Jan 28, 2011, 05:30 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,477 Posts
Fwiw.

I have cut gaps in the hinge line then coated remaining hinges with canopy glue on both sides, it combats the fatigue and stays flexible.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod