to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:58 AM
New to RC Flying
Pasir Ris, Singapore
Joined Jan 2008
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie14 View Post
Had another 30 mins flying time today ..... here's a few photo's of the detail in mine ....
Nice photos there. Does the Cooling vent help with the motor?

A touch of red for the wings, that's nice.

Good idea to hide the weight in the canopy.
Jack_Chen is offline Find More Posts by Jack_Chen
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:27 PM
Western Europe 52.7° N 8.9° W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Chen View Post
Nice photos there. Does the Cooling vent help with the motor?

A touch of red for the wings, that's nice.

Good idea to hide the weight in the canopy.
I've checked the temps after every flight and the Esc and lipos are fine ..... very easy to check of course ..... the motor area is not so accessible but I can feel the back of the motor mount and it's more than warm but not excessively so ....

I would stress I really don't use anything like full motor power ...... it's not Scale and really isn't needed ...... I can cruise around under power at very low levels of amps and if I want some speed get her up high and point the nose down to dive !!!! .......
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:53 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
I got o bit of video this morning ..... it's not great because it got very dark as some big black clouds moved in on us but I posted it anyway and hopefully I can get some better stuff when the sun comes out ......

Minimoa flying 170810_0001.wmv (7 min 20 sec)
Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:01 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,934 Posts
Just a few thoughts on this thread:

All power gliders will tend towards rising under power, so down-thust is usually built into the motor mount. It's difficult to get the angle just right, so compensation in your transmitter is often necessary ("electronic down thrust").

Flying part-throttle can be hard on your ESC, and causes more heat build-up than full throttle. Everything will keep cooler of you fly full throttle, but in shorter bursts. I would imagine this model, being a glider, is designed for short bursts to get it up to altitude, and then power is shut down for pure gliding. I would imagine it isn't designed as a full-on power plane. The power system on a glider is usually just a method of launching only.
Woodstock 1 is online now Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Aug 18, 2010, 02:56 PM
Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg
Joined Sep 2005
261 Posts
Problems so far with mine:

- wingtips bent on arrival, not packed double-boxed, easily fixed, the box is simply to small and fits to tight. And that for 27 $!!!

Damage: non visible

- motor flew off on the second flight, factory did not tighten one of the two hex grub screws holding the motor itself on the mount. difficult to access and to check from the outside.

Damage: none

- Propeller flew off after 6 flights, motor runtime about 12 - 15 minutes (this time without the motor); fixed with tiny 3mm screw-on thingy (sorry I can't remember the name in English for the female part) on the motor axe, no loctite, potentially a time-bomb--- it will come loose some time.

Damage: none, but could lead to a dangerous situation if you need power at a critical point...

Finally: The chinabell gets quite hot.

Otherwise fantastic airplane for the money, replaces my Easyglider which died of old age. Beautiful to see in the skies, calm and relaxing flight, takes wind up to 3 - 4 bft (o.k. I agree 4 bft is a bit much, but it works)

Have many happy hours with this one, and many passers-by stopping and staring....
Aender69 is offline Find More Posts by Aender69
Old Aug 18, 2010, 04:31 PM
Sic transit gloria
Rushmore Academy
Joined Sep 2008
161 Posts
If someone is in the US and chose the mid range shipping option, what's the estimated delivery you have experienced?
Thanks
MAX FISCHER is offline Find More Posts by MAX FISCHER
Old Aug 18, 2010, 08:27 PM
Ohio
Joined May 2009
37 Posts
Just placed the order...

I placed my order on the 15th of this month. I was emailed the unit is boxed and shipped on the 17th. So I will let you know when it hits my door step. Shipping was $27 (mid range) if that is the price unit your looking for.

Waiting in Ohio
Capt.RJM
Capt.RJM is offline Find More Posts by Capt.RJM
Old Aug 19, 2010, 01:48 AM
Romania
Joined Jun 2010
6 Posts
Quick question:
can anyone tell the exact size of the propeller? What about the motor size?

Thanks
Vooya is offline Find More Posts by Vooya
Old Aug 19, 2010, 02:42 AM
Joined Sep 2005
261 Posts
The blades are about the same size as the Graupner 10x6 blades.

The Chinabell, must be around 30 to 35 mm diameter, unfortunately I forgot to measure when it popped out. I remember a sticker HK 1130 kv 20Amp, weighing more than a normal chinabell, I would say +- 80 grams.

At Yesterdays flight the motor drew about 14 amps at wot.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 03:47 AM
New to RC Flying
Pasir Ris, Singapore
Joined Jan 2008
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aender69 View Post

- wingtips bent on arrival, not packed double-boxed, easily fixed, the box is simply to small and fits to tight. And that for 27 $!!!

- motor flew off on the second flight, factory did not tighten one of the two hex grub screws holding the motor itself on the mount. difficult to access and to check from the outside.
Quote:

The Chinabell, must be around 30 to 35 mm diameter, unfortunately I forgot to measure when it popped out.
I had the same problem - bent wingtips.

I was thinking you should have just changed the motor with something else when it first came off.
Jack_Chen is offline Find More Posts by Jack_Chen
Old Aug 19, 2010, 06:50 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,512 Posts
Quote:

The Chinabell, must be around 30 to 35 mm diameter, unfortunately I forgot to measure when it popped out. I remember a sticker HK 1130 kv 20Amp, weighing more than a normal chinabell, I would say +- 80 grams.

At Yesterdays flight the motor drew about 14 amps at wot.
Thanks for the facts
Chinabell = spinner base diameter ?, could you check the shaft diam' for me please , I will fit a alloy turbo hub with a set of 9''x 4 or 6 blades also stocked by HC.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Last edited by olmod; Aug 19, 2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 06:58 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,512 Posts
mmmm I think I may be cutting a side section of the nose off and having a look around ,long extended box cutter type knife will do the job and for later gluing back together a bit of fast cure gorilla and you will have to look hard to see the joins and as good as the origonal strength/weight.
When mine arrives do you want Pix of the innards ? .
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Aug 19, 2010, 08:17 AM
Joined Sep 2005
261 Posts
chinabell

No, I'll keep the original motor. These chinabells can take an incredible amount of strafing before they burn out.

Have to go now, fly some Minimoa

Oh, yes and the shaft diameter is 3 mm screwtype, to screw nuts on.
Last edited by Aender69; Aug 19, 2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 10:43 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:

Damage: none

- Propeller flew off after 6 flights, motor runtime about 12 - 15 minutes (this time without the motor); fixed with tiny 3mm screw-on thingy (sorry I can't remember the name in English for the female part) on the motor axe, no loctite, potentially a time-bomb--- it will come loose some time.

Damage: none, but could lead to a dangerous situation if you need power at a critical point...

Finally: The chinabell gets quite hot.

Otherwise fantastic airplane for the money, replaces my Easyglider which died of old age. Beautiful to see in the skies, calm and relaxing flight, takes wind up to 3 - 4 bft (o.k. I agree 4 bft is a bit much, but it works)

Have many happy hours with this one, and many passers-by stopping and staring....
I guess I better strip mine down and check everything ..... had another 30+ minutes up on the slopes today so I'm heading for total air time todate of almost 4 hours ..... really dodgy slope conditions but the Minimoa handled it all well, however, If I had lost power I would have been in possibly big trouble .....

..... so strip down and check will be done .......

I'll try and post a video later of the slope flying .....