Old Dec 01, 2010, 01:10 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie View Post
Yeeesss, practice,practice,practice.

I got the http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=2046. Before setting up the Minimoa I went thru this thread very carefully and made note of the mods which included all of the ventilation but I did not use the supplied motor which sounded like it was a contributor to the heat problem. I have only had 2 flights, & on the 2nd one there was plenty of time for the motor to cool off in the tree!

I think it will be OK though. It's only drawing 80W on 3S but that should be enough

Kev
I'll probably have to install that motor soon but when you try it again, it would be appreciated if you could see how hot it is.

To check this I powered on for a couple of minutes and brought it down quickly and put my finger on the rear motor bolts. With the standard motor even with doing the ventilation and cutting down the prop mine is still too hot.

Thanks
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2010, 01:59 AM
SSM
Voluntary Assumption of Risk
Australia, VIC, Canterbury
Joined Nov 2003
1,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
I'll start the list.
Great list thanks a brazillian!

Simon
SSM is online now Find More Posts by SSM
Old Dec 01, 2010, 10:10 PM
Richmond NSW Australia
Joined Mar 2010
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM View Post
Got mine! Ordered during the $1 delivery sale weekend!

Arrived today. Perfect - double boxed.
Is there a list of the usual mods?

Simon
Hey, Me too! The wings are bubble wrapped in their own box, which is inside the Minimoa box, which is inside the main box, and cushioned with shredded newspaper and plastic air bags !!!!!!! Wow.

This has to be the Best Foamie I've bought by a LONG WAY. The finish is superb. Even the stickers are on pretty straight. BUT the landing wheel wobbles up 'n down, the OD's not concentric with the wheel rim, no prob... if that's my biggest problem I consider myself lucky compared to some of you with broken wings etc. I suspect they pulled their finger out re QA. Well done HK.

No need to buy knitting needles now. There's only ONE SPAR TUBE in the wings. Hmm.... I wonder if it's worth worrying about it? How about a block to fit the recesses in the end of the wings where the 2nd spar could have been just to locate them? And the magnet trick to hold it all together during assembly at the field...

Won't be flying it till I do some mods to get around the overheating problem, control surface hinges, etc. Will try 2S and gentle power management to start...

Regards RossG
radial1951
radial1951 is offline Find More Posts by radial1951
Old Dec 02, 2010, 04:18 AM
oldsapper
Barossa Valley Sth Aust
Joined Sep 2009
12 Posts
My model arrived today from the NSW warehouse. A long wait after paying for it, but it arrived in perfect condition, double boxed with miles of bubble wrap. Will do all the motor cooling mods that the posts recommends.
olddig is offline Find More Posts by olddig
Old Dec 02, 2010, 07:03 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radial1951 View Post
Hey, Me too! The wings are bubble wrapped in their own box, which is inside the Minimoa box, which is inside the main box, and cushioned with shredded newspaper and plastic air bags !!!!!!! Wow.

This has to be the Best Foamie I've bought by a LONG WAY. The finish is superb. Even the stickers are on pretty straight. BUT the landing wheel wobbles up 'n down, the OD's not concentric with the wheel rim, no prob... if that's my biggest problem I consider myself lucky compared to some of you with broken wings etc. I suspect they pulled their finger out re QA. Well done HK.

No need to buy knitting needles now. There's only ONE SPAR TUBE in the wings. Hmm.... I wonder if it's worth worrying about it? How about a block to fit the recesses in the end of the wings where the 2nd spar could have been just to locate them? And the magnet trick to hold it all together during assembly at the field...

Won't be flying it till I do some mods to get around the overheating problem, control surface hinges, etc. Will try 2S and gentle power management to start...

Regards RossG
radial1951
They put great wheels on them as you said. Double check the spar tube is not there as one of mine was covered over. Just check the 4 slots (2 on each wing) on the under side of the wing to see if there are metal tubes in there. Guess they may have decided not to put the second tube in the wing.

The magnets or block trick would work. It was a pain with one rod putting the wings on but with two rods it is a bit better. I just put some sticky tape across the wings to hold them together before you screw them on. It stops the pipes turning around.

It is all right to fly it a couple of times without the motor mods as long as you just put power on for a few seconds just to get it up and then glide around for a while.

Ensure you get the c of g right before you try it I still think the tail plane is on the wrong angle which causes it to climb too much. I am sure mine flies better with it packed up a bit at the front but need a few more flights to prove anything one way or the other.

I flew my EasyGlider (motor in the nose similar to the Minimoa) twice on the weekend and it seemed to fly much better than the Minimoa. This is with power on. Nothing wrong with the Minimoa as a glider with the motor off. I will continue to work on the motor on problem.

Most people consider there is no problem with the power on as they just put the power on to get to a height and glide around. I want it to fly perfectly with the power on for the full flight and go a long distance.

Another thing is do not fly without the cockpit on the top. I was leaving it off and putting sticky tape to hold in the LiPo etc in so as to improve the cooling but what happens if you leave it off the wings at the rear can spread apart.

All good fun. At least it looks good.
Last edited by Firepower; Dec 02, 2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old Dec 02, 2010, 03:04 PM
Richmond NSW Australia
Joined Mar 2010
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
Double check the spar tube is not there as one of mine was covered over. Just check the 4 slots (2 on each wing) on the under side of the wing to see if there are metal tubes in there. Guess they may have decided not to put the second tube in the wing.

All good fun. At least it looks good.
Thanks Firepower

Definitely NO second tube in the wings. Interesting, I'd say the slots in the wings are caused by the mounts in the mould that locate the spar tubes during the moulding process. (Ex-toolmaker. Need to know all the how's and why's...)

Will carefully check out Tailplane Incidence, CG and all the other things learnt from you guys on this forum.

Thanks, to all of you! ... It's a great looking plane!
radial1951 is offline Find More Posts by radial1951
Old Dec 05, 2010, 05:37 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radial1951 View Post
Thanks Firepower

Definitely NO second tube in the wings. Interesting, I'd say the slots in the wings are caused by the mounts in the mould that locate the spar tubes during the moulding process. (Ex-toolmaker. Need to know all the how's and why's...)

Will carefully check out Tailplane Incidence, CG and all the other things learnt from you guys on this forum.

Thanks, to all of you! ... It's a great looking plane!
Another one ^%$##%^&**((&^%%$ Do not sit the wings on top of one another with the aileron linkages pointing up with out a piece or rag or something between them.

I wondered where all the small holes in the top of the wings were coming from.
Old Dec 05, 2010, 08:42 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,396 Posts
Stuck the Eagle Tree Logger in the other day and these were the figures i got, with my mods as described earlier in this thread (starts around page 13 goes to about page 20)

285 watts 25 Amps so seeing as i put a 30a ESC in mine and with the cut down prop, i don't think i should have any troubles at all the first red line is just slowly opening the throttle to half way first a pause then to full throttle only a peak of 210 Watts and 18 amps which is more like i fly and the second high peak red line is full throttle from off which produced the high Watts/amps but as you can see held at full throttle the watts evened out

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Last edited by ChuckTseeker; Dec 05, 2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2010, 05:53 PM
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
2,876 Posts
Might have to get me one of these later on. Looks to be a decent bird.
lipoflyer is offline Find More Posts by lipoflyer
Old Dec 07, 2010, 12:22 AM
oldsapper
Barossa Valley Sth Aust
Joined Sep 2009
12 Posts
Hey Kev, You're allowed to store CA in the kitchen fridge?????....SHE told me to put it in my bar fridge........ wash your mouth out with soap, Woman!!
Old Dec 07, 2010, 12:25 AM
oldsapper
Barossa Valley Sth Aust
Joined Sep 2009
12 Posts
Simon, where can I find a Brazillian to thank??
Old Dec 07, 2010, 01:15 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddig View Post
Hey Kev, You're allowed to store CA in the kitchen fridge?????....SHE told me to put it in my bar fridge........ wash your mouth out with soap, Woman!!

No, no, no! In the garage drinks fridge in a plastic box marked POISON!

Kev
Berkie is online now Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Dec 07, 2010, 03:15 AM
SSM
Voluntary Assumption of Risk
Australia, VIC, Canterbury
Joined Nov 2003
1,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddig View Post
Simon, where can I find a Brazillian to thank??
They're usually just slightly below the bikini line

Been a way from the workshop so no progress on my Mini Moa

Simon, whose CA is also in the garage drinks fridge!
SSM is online now Find More Posts by SSM
Old Dec 08, 2010, 05:37 AM
oldsapper
Barossa Valley Sth Aust
Joined Sep 2009
12 Posts
Galand's post (294) will cause me to search thro' all my packaging to try to find my missing tailplane bolts which I didn't know existed. I was preparing to use M3x50mm caphead screws, but would much prefer the nylon weight-wise. One of my wing bolt holding plates with the nut came adrift, had to be glued back into position (pain in the Khyber Pass). Have done all the cooling and hinge loosening mods as discussed here. For the RX am going to try a Spectrum compatible Orange 6 ch. with the with the new satellite.
Old Dec 09, 2010, 07:23 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,040 Posts
Who needs elevator mixing to stop any steep climb with power on?

Anyone tried a co-pilot which should keep everything level and no more problems?

This is what it does at the end of the video for those who have not seen the co-pilots.

HobbyKing - FMA Co-Pilot 2-Channel Flight Stabilization System (8 min 5 sec)

Good for beginners and FPV to return to base when radio gets out of range.

Hopefully it will be good.
Last edited by Firepower; Dec 09, 2010 at 06:51 PM.