HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2010, 08:54 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weather_man View Post
Oops sorry. I was looking for it under the "glider" menu, silly me.

I'm a heli guy and have been thinkin' planks but this is waaaaaay more surgery than I need to get into with NO stick time.

Enjoy!

b
rikybob is offline Find More Posts by rikybob
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2010, 09:53 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikybob View Post
I'm a heli guy and have been thinkin' planks but this is waaaaaay more surgery than I need to get into with NO stick time.

Enjoy!

b
May i suggest if you want to get into gliding you would do no better than to get ya self a Parkzone Radian

pull up to flying field, plug wings in, turn Tx on, connect battery, fly

yep as easy as that and a glider that will fly in any wind condition (0-25kph within skills )

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Nov 29, 2010, 05:11 AM
Richmond NSW Australia
Joined Mar 2010
32 Posts
At last! The Minimoas are being shipped from the AUS Warehouse.

It seems like forever, but it'll be 5 1/2 weeks from order to delivery.

Now I can't remember all the things that need fixing...

Let's hope they are all in perfect condition when they arrive.
radial1951 is offline Find More Posts by radial1951
Old Nov 29, 2010, 06:04 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,252 Posts
Wow! Is this Minimoa hard to turn with ailerons only or what?

I reduced their throw because she was over responsive, but the next time I flew I just could not get her to turn. She was going downwind (only a gentle breeze) because I couldn't turn her which of course reduced the lift and by the time I put in rudder it was going too slow. Down she came which may not have been too bad, but then a tree suddenly moved in under it (you know - you often see them do that)
And there she stayed.

Just a tip - to get it down I got 3 x 3metre x 40mm PVC pipe + 2 joiners from Bunnings to poke it out of the tree with. 3 hours later it was down.

I think I will couple rudder with ailerons via a "Y" adapter.

What do you guys think?

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Nov 29, 2010, 06:30 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
10,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie View Post

I reduced their throw because she was over responsive, but the next time I flew I just could not get her to turn. She was going downwind (only a gentle breeze) because I couldn't turn her which of course reduced the lift and by the time I put in rudder it was going too slow. Down she came which may not have been too bad, but then a tree suddenly moved in under it (you know - you often see them do that)
And there she stayed.

Just a tip - to get it down I got 3 x 3metre x 40mm PVC pipe + 2 joiners from Bunnings to poke it out of the tree with. 3 hours later it was down.

What do you guys think?

Kev
What Tx are you using?

I would first dial in aileron differential (if your ailerons are on seperate channels, and you use a computer Tx that has a differential option) - more movement "up" then "down". This will improve turning.
Second, use both thumbs when turning (both rudder & ailerons).
Third, if you use a computer Tx, mix rudder with ailerons (whith ailerons as the master channel)
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
Old Nov 29, 2010, 07:13 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,528 Posts
Quote:

And there she stayed.

What do you guys think?

Kev
Kev it turns fine with alerons only but make sure you have generous movement and dial in expo , I use 80% on DX6i & DX8, I found the rudder pretty inefective so I have it set for max' movement now.
olmod is online now Find More Posts by olmod
Old Nov 29, 2010, 07:45 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up&Away View Post
What Tx are you using?

I would first dial in aileron differential (if your ailerons are on seperate channels, and you use a computer Tx that has a differential option) - more movement "up" then "down". This will improve turning.
Second, use both thumbs when turning (both rudder & ailerons).
Third, if you use a computer Tx, mix rudder with ailerons (whith ailerons as the master channel)
Thanks Up & Away
I've got a DX7 & I will give the differential a go, but if I use both sticks, 1 for rudder, 1 for aileron, would I still use the mix?

Kev
Old Nov 29, 2010, 08:04 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
Kev it turns fine with alerons only but make sure you have generous movement and dial in expo , I use 80% on DX6i & DX8, I found the rudder pretty inefective so I have it set for max' movement now.
Thanks Olmod. Which holes do you use for horn/servo? Then I will know what is "generous"

I've yet to get into the settings - apart from trims & reversing channels on the DX7, but I will take a look at that as part of my learning curve

Kev
Old Nov 29, 2010, 08:30 PM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,339 Posts
Quote:

And there she stayed.

What do you guys think?

Kev
The guys have been giving you good info which I need to start learning the mixing on the TX but was it no matter what amount of aileron you had it would not turn - going down wind with hardly any air speed so then you do not get turns no matter what you do.

Were you just gliding with no motor on - full throttle could have given you air speed unless you were doing that.

For good fliers that do not get into funny positions low above trees (that is not me) 2 cell LiPo is all right but for me I need 3 cell to get me out of problems low above trees. I did just that with a 2 cell low on trees when I first got it and was at an almost stall position. I only just got out of it with the 2 cell. Now I only use a 3 cell LiPo which will pull you out of any position.

Mine does exactly what yours did if I go too slow down wind.
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Nov 29, 2010, 11:07 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
The guys have been giving you good info which I need to start learning the mixing on the TX but was it no matter what amount of aileron you had it would not turn - going down wind with hardly any air speed so then you do not get turns no matter what you do.

Were you just gliding with no motor on - full throttle could have given you air speed unless you were doing that.

For good fliers that do not get into funny positions low above trees (that is not me) 2 cell LiPo is all right but for me I need 3 cell to get me out of problems low above trees. I did just that with a 2 cell low on trees when I first got it and was at an almost stall position. I only just got out of it with the 2 cell. Now I only use a 3 cell LiPo which will pull you out of any position.

Mine does exactly what yours did if I go too slow down wind.
Yes, I think you have just taught me something there Firepower

Thinking back, I can remember struggling to control it, but did not think about using power as a solution.
So, one should apply power early, as soon as one sees control getting awry e.g. put on plenty of power then get back into wind quickly. This, no doubt, is what you mean by "Good fliers do not get into funny positions".

I have already got 3S (A123s - love em) & also a better motor because that is one thing I learned a long time ago, plenty of reserve power is very desirable. It's not there to zoom around the sky with, but it's there when you need it e.g. your getting a bit low & a bit far away.

Kev
Old Nov 30, 2010, 03:10 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,339 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I think you have just taught me something there Firepower

Thinking back, I can remember struggling to control it, but did not think about using power as a solution.
So, one should apply power early, as soon as one sees control getting awry e.g. put on plenty of power then get back into wind quickly. This, no doubt, is what you mean by "Good fliers do not get into funny positions".

I have already got 3S (A123s - love em) & also a better motor because that is one thing I learned a long time ago, plenty of reserve power is very desirable. It's not there to zoom around the sky with, but it's there when you need it e.g. your getting a bit low & a bit far away.

Kev
Sounds like you'll be right from now on. As you would realise, it is a similar thing when you are going into the wind - if you pull the nose up too much you get a stall - the ailerons do not work until you gain some air speed. It is a fine line between flying to keep as much altitude as possible and stalling. It is just practice and a well trimmed plane helps.

You say you got a better motor. Which one did you put in and does it still get very hot?

Col
Old Nov 30, 2010, 06:05 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
10,091 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Up & Away
I've got a DX7 & I will give the differential a go, but if I use both sticks, 1 for rudder, 1 for aileron, would I still use the mix?

Kev
It's a matter of personal preference really. Personally, I prefer to use as little mixes as possible. But many others (including champion F5J pilots) do use them. If you fly without ele/rud mix you need to keep a keen eye on the tail, when turning. The tail should follow the nose, ie not slide in or out. It takes some practice and gets more difficult when your glider is specked out, or nearly specked out, as you cannot see it properly. In those instances it is better to use a ele/rud mix. On most Tx's mixes can be assigned a switch, so you can switch it on or off.

When you do set up a ele/rud mix, start with something like 15%, launch, do some turns and watch the tail (even better; have someone else watch the tail as well). Land, adjust, launch. Take your time. A good mix is just as important as a good CG...
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
Old Dec 01, 2010, 01:01 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
Sounds like you'll be right from now on. As you would realise, it is a similar thing when you are going into the wind - if you pull the nose up too much you get a stall - the ailerons do not work until you gain some air speed. It is a fine line between flying to keep as much altitude as possible and stalling. It is just practice and a well trimmed plane helps.

You say you got a better motor. Which one did you put in and does it still get very hot?

Col
Yeeesss, practice,practice,practice.

I got the http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=2046. Before setting up the Minimoa I went thru this thread very carefully and made note of the mods which included all of the ventilation but I did not use the supplied motor which sounded like it was a contributor to the heat problem. I have only had 2 flights, & on the 2nd one there was plenty of time for the motor to cool off in the tree!

I think it will be OK though. It's only drawing 80W on 3S but that should be enough

Kev
Old Dec 01, 2010, 01:29 AM
SSM
Voluntary Assumption of Risk
Australia, VIC, Canterbury
Joined Nov 2003
1,235 Posts
Got mine! Ordered during the $1 delivery sale weekend!

Arrived today. Perfect - double boxed.

Is there a list of the usual mods?

Simon
SSM is offline Find More Posts by SSM
Old Dec 01, 2010, 02:04 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM View Post
Got mine! Ordered during the $1 delivery sale weekend!

Arrived today. Perfect - double boxed.

Is there a list of the usual mods?

Simon
I'll start the list.

1. Ensure you do not screw the front plastic screw up too tight on the tail plane or the foam will squash too much and there are problems with it climbing too much. (You'll have that problem anyway) Be careful on first flight as it may climb too much.

2. Take off the servo links to the ailerons, elevator and rudder and move the movables surfaces to the extreme at least 50 times. They are tight and can cause servo failure. Some prefer to cut them off and use tape etc. I have not done that yet but will have to eventually.

3. Check the elevators are level with each other. Post if this is a problem.

4. THERE IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM WITH OVERHEATING. What happens if you put the power on for a long time the engine mounts will melt and the motor will fall out. It is probably better to change the motor but I have done this:
(A) Drilled 8 holes in the prop mount, as per previous posts.
(B) Cut the prop down to 22cm. Seems like this helps keep the motor cooler not cool.
With these changes you still have to watch the heat in the motor for 2 or 3 cell. My opinion is 2 cell is too slow because if you are low down on trees and get it twisted up, you need 3 cell to pull you out of problems.

5. My rudder and elevator servos were loose. Check and glue them if necessary.

6. Naturally do not screw down the wing screws too much.

7. I located a second rod to bend up for between the wings. Wound not hurt putting in the second one.

8. Make sure you tape the cowl over the wing on.

9. Check the c of g. I had to add two large nuts in the front - 45 grams with a 3 cell. Others have not had to do so much.

10. Usual thing - make sure you do not have too much throw on the ailerons - it is not much of a problem as it is a large plane and easier to control.

That's a start. Others can add what I missed.