SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 17, 2010, 07:50 AM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
I'll know in a day or so if the fix worked. I did it different to what I mentioned earlier.

Cut a piece of ply to fit the width of the plane by 4.5cm and then cut out the foam the same size as the ply and Gorilla Glued it in. It is still in the vice.

I have not used the Gorilla Glue before so hopefully it will be good. Where I cut out the foam with a saw I cleaned up with a knife.

Fixed - I hope.
Looks good to me ...... I leave my Gorilla jobs to set overnight ....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2010, 04:13 PM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie14 View Post
Looks good to me ...... I leave my Gorilla jobs to set overnight ....
Thanks - As I have never used the Gorilla Glue before I did not know what expect. That is, I might have to put on tape for extra strength etc. No need for that as it looks like it sticks unbelievably well.

I put the glad wrap on to stop the balsa block sticking and the block with two holes for the bolts so that I could clamp it.

I was worried when I saw the glue had come right up one bolt hole in the balsa block. Just cut the block off around the bolt and no problems. I used 4mm metal bolts as I did not want to wreck my plastic ones.

Looks like a reasonable job.
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Nov 17, 2010, 09:03 PM
Richmond NSW Australia
Joined Mar 2010
32 Posts
Firepower, your repair looks good. When it happens to me I'll know exactly what to do...

Well I got my MiniSwift on Tue for $1 postage! If only I could get my MiniMoa for the $14 postage I paid. -18 on back order and counting. It's looking more and more like a Xmas present.

Did anyone order a MiniMoa with the $1 AUS Warehouse Postage??

Good on ya if you did!
radial1951 is offline Find More Posts by radial1951
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:24 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radial1951 View Post
Firepower, your repair looks good. When it happens to me I'll know exactly what to do...

Well I got my MiniSwift on Tue for $1 postage! If only I could get my MiniMoa for the $14 postage I paid. -18 on back order and counting. It's looking more and more like a Xmas present.

Did anyone order a MiniMoa with the $1 AUS Warehouse Postage??

Good on ya if you did!
It will almost be worthwhile doing it from new unless it was just one of my nuts that was not put in too good. I was just lucky my mate was checking it out and we noticed a problem with one nut.

The Gorilla Glue is very easy to cut and sand. It seems softer than the foam but apparently glues great.

I have had mine a while and bought it from overseas and know all the problems. You bought the wrong Mini Swift. I have two of the real ones and they are great. A flying wing and smash them as haed as you like into the ground with no marks if you tape the leading edge. Goes like a rocket and glides perfectly without wing tip stalls. What else do you need?

You MiniSwift is great - just a different plane but do not smash it into the ground.

I got 2 X 3,000mah LiPos on the $1.00 sale. Looks like the yellow plugs are out and now they use the circular red ones. Still cutting them off for comparable Deans. The Deans must not be as good but I have had no problems.

HAVE YOU DONE ANY MODIFICATIONS FOR THE MOTOR GETTING HOT ON THE MINIMOA? Also ensure the front screw on the tail plane is not too tight and crushing the foam. I suppose you have read up on all the problems for them like taking the linkages off the ailerons/elevator and move them from side to side stacks of times.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 06:28 AM
Richmond NSW Australia
Joined Mar 2010
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
....one of my nuts that was not put in too good. I was just lucky my mate was checking it out and....noticed a problem.

You MiniSwift is great - just a different plane but do not smash it into the ground.

HAVE YOU DONE ANY MODIFICATIONS FOR THE MOTOR GETTING HOT ON THE MINIMOA? Also ensure the front screw on the tail plane is not too tight and crushing the foam. I suppose you have read up on all the problems for them like taking the linkages off the ailerons/elevator and move them from side to side stacks of times.
Sorry to hear about the problem with your nuts. Seems it's under control now. You owe your mate a favour for keeping an eye on them for you.

The MiniSwift is a Xmas prezzy for my 9yo grandson. I hope to get him on the buddy box this Sunday with my HawkSky. Up high. He should be ok by Chrissy. But the MiniSwift comes with a spare set of foam bits, that's Plan-B.

Thanks for the tips, but I still don't have my MiniMoa ! I think I was No.6 of the 18 now on back order... I plan to slit the hinge lines leaving just a few tabs and then add the medical tape. No extra load on the servos then. I'll try 2S, maybe with trimmed prop, but I've got a new spinner and smaller blades for 3S. And a selection of motors as well. She'll be right... (famous last words)
radial1951 is offline Find More Posts by radial1951
Old Nov 18, 2010, 08:30 AM
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined May 2008
1,978 Posts
Quote:
The MiniSwift is a Xmas prezzy for my 9yo grandson. I hope to get him on the buddy box this Sunday with my HawkSky. Up high. He should be ok by Chrissy. But the MiniSwift comes with a spare set of foam bits, that's Plan-B.
I think you will be amazed at how easily they pick up flying at that age... I took my son (aged 8) to the field last Sunday. I build a stock HZ Supercub from old parts for the purpose (his first plane). Buddy boxed the first few flights. I took off and landed the first flight. He took off and flew the next two with lots of advise the whole time but me stepping in to save a nose dive 10' off the ground just once. The guys egged me on to let him go solo after those 3 flights... and boy he's never looked back.... landing better with the Supercub than I did in my first year of flying !!! We stayed at the club and extra couple of hours until all the batteries were used.

The biggest challenge was stopping him banging the sticks around, so low rates may be useful.

Boy was I proud. Also fits into the master plan of feeding the habit and justifying purchases to the wife

Best of luck with your grandson this wekend.

Toppers
Toppers is online now Find More Posts by Toppers
Old Nov 18, 2010, 08:39 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,140 Posts
Quote:
Sorry to hear about the problem with your nuts. Seems it's under control now. You owe your mate a favour for keeping an eye on them for you.

Thanks for the tips, but I still don't have my MiniMoa ! I think I was No.6 of the 18 now on back order... I plan to slit the hinge lines leaving just a few tabs and then add the medical tape. No extra load on the servos then. I'll try 2S, maybe with trimmed prop, but I've got a new spinner and smaller blades for 3S. And a selection of motors as well. She'll be right... (famous last words)
I have tried a 2200 2 cell LiPo and it does not have enough power with the standard propeller. If you get out of shape when there is a bit of breeze and you are down low, there is not enough power to get out of the problem. Maybe a trimmed prop on 2 S like you said may be better. I'll try that now that I have trimmed my prop.

Any replacement spinner should have a hole/holes in it to get the air flowing like this one: http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=6356
Check out the hole in the middle. (This would not be the size to buy) Bit hard to get this one to fit the bell type motor.

I have just enlarged my 8 holes in the prop mounting plate that came with it to see if that is better.

Best of luck with it.
Last edited by Firepower; Nov 19, 2010 at 05:02 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 06:53 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,512 Posts
I have converted a buddy to the tube mount system and included downthrust, which I described in earlier posts no doubt he will get better pack life and longer motor runs as I do, someone else has got to try it .
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:28 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
10,004 Posts
How does the Minimoa fly, compared to the MPX Easyglider? Thermaling/sloping-wise...?
Up&Away is online now Find More Posts by Up&Away
Old Nov 21, 2010, 06:43 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
I have converted a buddy to the tube mount system and included downthrust, which I described in earlier posts no doubt he will get better pack life and longer motor runs as I do, someone else has got to try it .
"someone else has got to try it" I have been trying to work out for ages what to do for a motor on a EasyGlider and I can still do what you did if I cut some more foam off the nose.

However, I have glued on some ply with an out-runner screwed behind it. I'll see how it goes. The Minimoa front cowl would fit perfectly to the EasyGlider.

I found your photos on page 29 and just so I know for future can you advise:

1. What curtain part was it from. (I recall you mentioned this somewhere)

2. From the pictures 4 grub screws hold the motor in from the side and there is no end on the tube.

3. Was there any machining to be done or was it right the way it was?

4. Is it very heavy but usually the Minimoa needs a bit extra weight in the nose?

I'd reckon lot of people would buy such a tube for numerous types of planes if they were easily obtainable and ready to install a motor.

Thanks
Col
Old Nov 21, 2010, 06:56 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up&Away View Post
How does the Minimoa fly, compared to the MPX Easyglider? Thermaling/sloping-wise...?
I hope someone can answer you soon but maybe no one has both planes.

Now that I have fitted the motor to the EasyGlider, I'll have it in the air shortly.

But I suppose you know about the both of them. The Minimoa in theory you just put in your receiver and LiPo and it works. (After you do a few things)

My EasyGlider came without the servos and you have to glue the body together etc. If you want to spend the extra I am not sure if the EasyGlider Pro come ready for the radio gear. But one thing which is GREAT is it comes with the motor set-up. Get it with the motor if you want to spend that much as it will save a lot of headaches.

At a GUESS I would say the Minimoa is lighter with a similar wing span so would think the Minimoa may be better in thermals. Hope someone else can advise.

You could ask here as I am sure there is one person there that has both planes and may also do slopes with them both.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...47488&page=149

Col
Old Nov 22, 2010, 04:02 AM
You can't take the sky from me
Slovakia, Bratislava Region, Bratislava
Joined Jun 2006
748 Posts
I flew both, but only for a short time. They are very similar, in my personal opinion Minimoa has more uplift, so it glides slightly better and is a little more stable. On the other hand, EasyGlider is faster, much better in motor flight and also is more maneuverable. Minimoa is quite clumsy in turns, EasyGlider is obedient as puppy :-). Minimoa needs rudder in turns, EasyGlider turns only with ailerons as well...

I think Minimoa is for you if you like nice silhouette in peaceful slopes. Just don't forget to take folding bed with you, because it may be a little boring. For very beginners is EasyGlider better choice. Also if you want to make some acrobatics, EG is better (of course it's not Katana nor Edge, it's still glider!). Roll with Minimoa is something like mission impossible. But I bought Minimoa, because I think it's much more beatiful :-).
Rastislavko is offline Find More Posts by Rastislavko
Old Nov 24, 2010, 07:36 PM
semper ventosus
Sasebo, Japan
Joined Jun 2004
991 Posts
Are they still selling this plane? I can't find it anywhere...
weather_man is offline Find More Posts by weather_man
Old Nov 24, 2010, 07:46 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weather_man View Post
Are they still selling this plane? I can't find it anywhere...

Huh? You try here??

b
rikybob is online now Find More Posts by rikybob
Old Nov 24, 2010, 07:53 PM
semper ventosus
Sasebo, Japan
Joined Jun 2004
991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikybob View Post
Huh? You try here??

b
Oops sorry. I was looking for it under the "glider" menu, silly me.
weather_man is offline Find More Posts by weather_man