SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 12, 2010, 04:24 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by radial1951 View Post
Re Hinges: I use 1" wide Leukopor white medical tape for hinges on all my foamies. On my Hawksky powered glider, the EPO foam hinge eventually cracked. I put the tape on both sides, work it down in the groove with a match head. The wings are also retained with tape along the fuse to wing joint, top and bottom. Sticks like you know what!
On depron bevelled hinges do the flat side first, fold the elevator right over on to itself and put a strip of tape on there too. Takes paint really well. Run it along seams and joints to cover hot glue blobs etc. Looks like a nice fillet between the panels. Completely USELESS on EPP
When I get my Minimoa(Backorder) I plan to slit the hinge lines leaving a few tabs and run the Leukopor tape in the groove on both sides. It will remove any stiffness in the hinges.
ps make friends with a nurse...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
I'll check out the Leukopor but I suppose it is an ugly white colour. I might consider it as a temporary backup to hold wings on the larger planes.

If you have a white plane then it would look good. I'll get some today.

Thanks
I went to the chemist and round not find Leukopor tape but they have about six other ones by that company. I bought Leukoflex which seem to be the closest to what we need at $9 for a small roll. It looks like the Blenderm tape but a fraction more see through. Do not think I'll buy another roll of that at that price and really is extremely close to Blenderm. I thought 3M stuff was dear but this one takes the cake but it comes on a plastic roll with a cover.

I priced that 3M Super 77 Multipurpose Spray Adhesive at a hobby shop today and it was about $30 so I usually lash out but not at that price. It would go off before I use much of the can. Hardware stores may be a better price but it seems to just be spray contact cement so any brand may do but 3M is usually better. Also I am not that organised to tape up around the edge of where the hinge tape is to go and get it right. I think someone did say somewhere wood glue watered down on foam works well. Guess it would give a smooth surface for the tape to stick.
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Nov 12, 2010 at 05:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:51 AM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Re Hinges: I use 1" wide Leukopor white medical tape for hinges on all my foamies. On my Hawksky powered glider, the EPO foam hinge eventually cracked. I put the tape on both sides, work it down in the groove with a match head. The wings are also retained with tape along the fuse to wing joint, top and bottom. Sticks like you know what!
On depron bevelled hinges do the flat side first, fold the elevator right over on to itself and put a strip of tape on there too. Takes paint really well. Run it along seams and joints to cover hot glue blobs etc. Looks like a nice fillet between the panels. Completely USELESS on EPP
When I get my Minimoa(Backorder) I plan to slit the hinge lines leaving a few tabs and run the Leukopor tape in the groove on both sides. It will remove any stiffness in the hinges.
ps make friends with a nurse...

I went to the chemist and round not find Leukopor tape but they have about six other ones by that company. I bought Leukoflex which seem to be the closest to what we need at $9 for a small roll. It looks like the Blenderm tape but a fraction more see through. Do not think I'll buy another roll of that at that price and really is extremely close to Blenderm. I thought 3M stuff was dear but this one takes the cake but it comes on a plastic roll with a cover.

I priced that 3M Super 77 Multipurpose Spray Adhesive at a hobby shop today and it was about $30 so I usually lash out but not at that price. It would go off before I use much of the can. Hardware stores may be a better price but it seems to just be spray contact cement so any brand may do but 3M is usually better. Also I am not that organised to tape up around the edge of where the hinge tape is to go and get it right. I think someone did say somewhere wood glue watered down on foam works well. Guess it would give a smooth surface for the tape to stick.
you wont want to hear about the masking tape then ..... it's the best you will ever find and costs around 10.00 U.S. dollars ..... perfect for use in Hinge work .....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Nov 12, 2010, 02:49 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie14 View Post
you wont want to hear about the masking tape then ..... it's the best you will ever find and costs around 10.00 U.S. dollars ..... perfect for use in Hinge work .....
If anything is great and useful I'll buy it at any price (almost). What masking tape are you talking about? (3M?)
Old Nov 12, 2010, 03:37 PM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
If anything is great and useful I'll buy it at any price (almost). What masking tape are you talking about? (3M?)
Yep ..... scotch blue painters tape by 3M ...... It's a high tech tape with easy removal even after a good amount of time ...... I find it brilliant on RC work ..... if not masking then holding parts in place while glueing etc ..... the price is high but it makes conventional masking tape look like rubbish .....

try a roll and see what you think .....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Nov 12, 2010, 09:13 PM
Pasco, Washington
Joined May 2004
576 Posts
Firepower. Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I was gone on a trip. The Extreme tape is a 3M Scotch product and has fiberglass fibers running in both directions. I have used tons of this stuff on my planes. Here is a link to Amazon with what I believe is the same tape. I usually buy mine at Staples.
http://www.amazon.com/Scotch%C2%AE-E...9617623&sr=8-1
RidgeTop is offline Find More Posts by RidgeTop
Old Nov 12, 2010, 09:50 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie14 View Post
Yep ..... scotch blue painters tape by 3M ...... It's a high tech tape with easy removal even after a good amount of time ...... I find it brilliant on RC work ..... if not masking then holding parts in place while glueing etc ..... the price is high but it makes conventional masking tape look like rubbish .....

try a roll and see what you think .....
A painter friend gave me a couple of rolls but have not thought of using it on the planes. I'll have to use it for gluing and masking. I thought it might go to waste here so thanks I might use it now.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 09:55 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeTop View Post
Firepower. Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I was gone on a trip. The Extreme tape is a 3M Scotch product and has fiberglass fibers running in both directions. I have used tons of this stuff on my planes. Here is a link to Amazon with what I believe is the same tape. I usually buy mine at Staples.
I'll check it out. It may be something like what I have but have not got the 3M stuff in the heavier one. Some of the unbranded stuff does not stick any good at all but one large roll I have is quite good.

Thanks
Old Nov 13, 2010, 01:04 AM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:

Thanks Ridgetop! I looked it up. It really does use glass fibers, according to 3M. When glass fiber packing tape was a new thing we discovered that if you bend it tightly back on itself and then yanked it quickly it could be torn apart very easily. The glass fibers would simply break and you would be pulling on only the backing which wasn't very strong then. But you could lift an elephant with it as long as you didn't bend it tightly. The newer glass fiber tape is much better, but still, if I am going to depend on fibers in hinges I don't want them to be glass.

I found something new a while back called Scotch Tough Transparent Duct tape. It also has fibers running across and lengthwise. I can find nothing from the manufacturer as to what the fibers actually are though. I have found that if I grab a corner of it with thumb and forefinger I can pull it off, but it is quite difficult, and I am pulling on less than half an inch width. Looking at it with a microscope (cheap hand held variety) the torn fibers are varying thicknesses, as if they stretched just before breaking, and they are not straight like glass fiber either. Actually I can rip it right across its width, but again, there is a lot of pressure on a very small part of the tape at any one time. So I am sure the fiber is a not glass and will not break from bending. Judging by how hard I have to pull to tear it, the stuff is way strong enough for hinges. You would rip the wing off before you pull the aileron off. It doesn't seem to stretch at all, due to the fibers. It is supposed to resist the outdoor environment as well. I have used it to tightly wrap the wires to the end of lipos. It has not come up at the edges, slipped, hardened or anything else that would make it a bad candidate for hinging. I used it to cover the bottom skid on an EPO glider and it worked well there too. I handles sliding on the ground well and stays put. I will be using it for hinges on larger foamies eventually I am sure.

Regards,
Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Last edited by Gordks; Nov 15, 2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 05:47 AM
Richmond NSW Australia
Joined Mar 2010
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
Try this next time you do tape hinges ,save a strip of backing paper off some velcro or similar,lay it on one half off the flying surface(wing) then lay your tape down on the uncovered aleron so its stuck down ,
the other half of the tape is prevented from sticking down by the backing paper ,
take a small steel ruller and push the tape right into the hinge then remove the backing paper and stick the other half down,
do that both sides with 3M Blenderm tape and it will be one of the most free moving and long lasting hinges I have ever used and its paintable although it tends to be inconspicuous anyway. cheers Lez.
An excellent method, good idea. The tape can sometimes stick on the sides before I get it right down in the hinge groove.

I think the 3M version of Leukopor is their Micropore tape. Anyhow, several of these medical tapes seem to work just fine. No pre-gluing needed and just paint over it.

For anyone here who has reservations, the pics below show my RCPowers Depron F-22. All joints covered as well as the hinges. The missing elevon cracked during a violent back flip (loop) and then separated during a high speed pass about 10 feet of the deck... not a pretty sight.

BUT the tape hinge stood up while the servo gears were stripped. Tape is also used to cover the glued-in CF rods and it can conform to a 3D surface without wrinkles. Even unpainted, the white tape is hardly noticeable on foam.

Sorry it's not a Minimoa, but I think the ideas are applicable to any foamie.
radial1951 is offline Find More Posts by radial1951
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:22 PM
Pasco, Washington
Joined May 2004
576 Posts
Gord, Is this your tape? Looks interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Transpa...1&sr=8-1-fkmr0
RidgeTop is offline Find More Posts by RidgeTop
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:29 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
.....Even unpainted, the white tape is hardly noticeable on foam.
I never even considered painting Blenderm. I will have to try that. If it will hold paint that will allow me to get around the fact that it is translucent rather than opaque.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 02:07 AM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Gord, Is this your tape? Looks interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Transpa...1&sr=8-1-fkmr0
That is the one! I took a look at the skid on the bottom of my MiniMoa that I covered with this tape and, although it has only landed a hand full of times on it, I have to say I am quite happy with how it looks. The brilliant shiny surface is not as shiny as it was, but there is no sign of wear yet and the edges are all still solidly stuck to the foam, even the foreward edge. I will still likely put another layer of the tape on it since it is bound to wear eventually and it would be better to remove the worn tape from another layer of tape than directly from the foam.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 06:10 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,507 Posts
I use the black plastic/fabric tape also under the leading edges of the wings just back~3/4'' it helps also for visibility looks a bit like a pelican at height.
olmod is online now Find More Posts by olmod
Old Nov 16, 2010, 08:15 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,112 Posts
I recall someone mentioned how to fix the bolts that came loose but I have not found it.

The foam that has come out fits back in with a perfect fit. So to patch it up or cut the area out and fit in a block of balsa. I do not really do the screws up too tight but that one had bubbling around the hole on the foam when I got it. You would not want to do them up too tight as you can see from the photo there is not much foam between the nut and the top of the foam. (Just realised the foam is compressed on that one. The other nut is down a bit further)

Just thinking of it, it seems hard with the new balsa to get the nuts in the right place and sitting flat but I suppose it is the only way to go.

I guess I could glue it in with CA or I just got some Gorilla Glue which I have not tried yet, and glue it back in. Also glue over the area a thin sheet of ply cut into the foam.

Any suggestions - just cut a block of balsa and fit it in the foam for the two nuts I suppose and I will not have to worry about again?
Last edited by Firepower; Nov 17, 2010 at 04:51 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 06:16 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,112 Posts
I'll know in a day or so if the fix worked. I did it different to what I mentioned earlier.

Cut a piece of ply to fit the width of the plane by 4.5cm and then cut out the foam the same size as the ply and Gorilla Glued it in. It is still in the vice.

I have not used the Gorilla Glue before so hopefully it will be good. Where I cut out the foam with a saw I cleaned up with a knife.

Fixed - I hope.
Last edited by Firepower; Nov 17, 2010 at 06:23 AM.