HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:00 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
Mine is now ballanced on the rear edge of the red stripe on the bottom of the wing back from the leading edge and flying stable in winds 10~15 mph a big improvement over the origonal position quoted in the art-tech manual.
Gadzooks! That's only 35mm in from leading edge instead of the 54mm

How can there be such a difference?

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:11 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
1,970 Posts
Olmod,

OK, I've read a little further and can see you have had to come forward to allow for your heavier motor mount, but what is it one has to do to find the new CG after this weight is added?

Kev
Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:10 AM
Cookie Monster
Australia, QLD, Diddillibah
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie View Post
Gadzooks! That's only 35mm in from leading edge instead of the 54mm

How can there be such a difference?

Kev
Wondering this myself.Do you have a report Olmod?
bleary is offline Find More Posts by bleary
Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:32 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,347 Posts
Its got nothing to do with the new engine mount its more to do with the wing area X moment arm x tailplane area and the longtitudal dihedral ,
but I have added about 4 layers of thin sheet lead about the same size as the 2200 lipo to get the cg at 31mm from the leading edge and it flies much better, try it and I'm sure you will agree that when you hit some wind (thermal) it climbs instead of stalling (porposing) and is a much happier ol girl.
cheers Lez.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:42 AM
Germany (Black Forest, Alps, Vosges)
Joined Dec 2009
60 Posts
Hello,

I cant believe it. Now, more than 2 months after receiving the dead Moa, there is an answer of the HK-service! "Once we get the replacement parts of the Minimoa, we will send it to you as soon as possible." pah, "once we get..." which year? I hope, im not dead than...
Good service? Not from the HK!

Greets Christian
christianka6cr is offline Find More Posts by christianka6cr
Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:43 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
1,970 Posts
So, if I may ask, what is the weight of the lead and where didja stuff it

Kev
Old Oct 26, 2010, 03:00 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianka6cr View Post
Hello,

I cant believe it. Now, more than 2 months after receiving the dead Moa, there is an answer of the HK-service! "Once we get the replacement parts of the Minimoa, we will send it to you as soon as possible." pah, "once we get..." which year? I hope, im not dead than...
Good service? Not from the HK!

Greets Christian
I agree. Very poor.

Kev
Old Oct 26, 2010, 04:35 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie View Post
So, if I may ask, what is the weight of the lead and where didja stuff it

Kev
approx 4 to 6 oz under the lipo pack glued with vise to the floor up front
next time I unpack the vehicle I will weigh the lot for you . not that it means much to the way she flies does some nice gracefull stuff including loops ,I have started to throw it around a bit and building up the speed but I know one day I will get the dreaded flutter if I get too cocky .
Old Oct 26, 2010, 06:13 AM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
Quote:
next time I unpack the vehicle I will weigh the lot for you . not that it means much to the way she flies does some nice gracefull stuff including loops ,I have started to throw it around a bit and building up the speed but I know one day I will get the dreaded flutter if I get too cocky .
In your fingers or your legs .....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Oct 26, 2010, 06:37 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie14 View Post
In your fingers or your legs .....
I only get that when my blood sugar is low a few jelly beans and all is ok.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 06:38 AM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
Well finally I got to test my new prop setup on Sunday ......

Tgy 2409-18 1200kv ....... 9 x 5 Graupner Cam folding prop (fits the Minimoa spinner) .....

15A and 165 watts

rem I also tried the 8 x 4.5 version of the Graupner ..... 13A and 150 watts ..... I could live with it if I had to although penetration into the wind not so good ....

the power levels are perfect for the motor spec. and after two 30 minute flights I think it really is the ideal setup (no wind so some power on all the time) ...... no signs of any excess heat (rem I do have some cooling vents) ..... it still climbs like $$$ at WOT but a little elevator control looks after that ..... good penetration into the wind .......

The motor spec. seems identical to the Stock Minimoa Motor so it seems to me that a 9 x 5 prop would go a long way to resolving the stock over-heating problems (I would still do the cooling vent mods though) ......

No video this time but I did take a photo of the slope .....

it can be tough flying off the slopes .....

but not always ......
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Oct 26, 2010, 01:43 PM
Joined Oct 2009
36 Posts
For cooling I've cut out the bottom of the landing wheel compartment to allow for flow through.

I also cut away a bit away from the front of the skid plate to open up the engine compartment from the bottom. Seemed a natural mod.

I also melted a hole from the batt compartment up into the false cockpit with a couple of small holes drilled in the back of the plastic cockpit to allow for batt/ESc/eng compartment flow through.

New motor as well as a flow through allum spinner to add weight and cooling through motor.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=6357

Not sure if this motor will work but it does draw 13 amps static with original prop 11x5 I'm guessing? It's what I had laying around and I wasn't expecting to burn out a motor in only 2 test flights.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6664
NL_Expatriate is offline Find More Posts by NL_Expatriate
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:53 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Thanks mate.

So you add weight as you say then you support both wings on your finger tips starting at the LE, then keep moving your fingers back until she balances. This is then the new COG. Right?

Kev
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:57 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie14 View Post
Well finally I got to test my new prop setup on Sunday ......

Tgy 2409-18 1200kv ....... 9 x 5 Graupner Cam folding prop (fits the Minimoa spinner) .....

15A and 165 watts

rem I also tried the 8 x 4.5 version of the Graupner ..... 13A and 150 watts ..... I could live with it if I had to although penetration into the wind not so good ....

the power levels are perfect for the motor spec. and after two 30 minute flights I think it really is the ideal setup (no wind so some power on all the time) ...... no signs of any excess heat (rem I do have some cooling vents) ..... it still climbs like $$$ at WOT but a little elevator control looks after that ..... good penetration into the wind .......

The motor spec. seems identical to the Stock Minimoa Motor so it seems to me that a 9 x 5 prop would go a long way to resolving the stock over-heating problems (I would still do the cooling vent mods though) ......

No video this time but I did take a photo of the slope .....

it can be tough flying off the slopes .....

but not always ......

Heyyyyyyyyy! Looks like Scotland!
Just beautiful. Where is that?

Kev
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:03 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NL_Expatriate View Post
For cooling I've cut out the bottom of the landing wheel compartment to allow for flow through.

I also cut away a bit away from the front of the skid plate to open up the engine compartment from the bottom. Seemed a natural mod.

I also melted a hole from the batt compartment up into the false cockpit with a couple of small holes drilled in the back of the plastic cockpit to allow for batt/ESc/eng compartment flow through.

New motor as well as a flow through allum spinner to add weight and cooling through motor.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=6357

Not sure if this motor will work but it does draw 13 amps static with original prop 11x5 I'm guessing? It's what I had laying around and I wasn't expecting to burn out a motor in only 2 test flights.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6664
Yeah, the 2409-12 is what others here including myself have been ordering, but I haven't received mine yet.

Most though seem to be getting the 2409-18 which comes with a mount, but I don't know if the mount is usable.

Kev