to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2010, 09:14 PM
New to RC Flying
Pasir Ris, Singapore
Joined Jan 2008
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoffa View Post
Second day report on my, I melted, yes MELTED the plastic mount the little outrunner sits on, I had to carefully pry the red plastic nose cone off, I used my dremel to cut all three tabs off and file it down, then I had to make a 1/4 inch plywood circle from 2/32 ply and put a turnigy 35/42/1000 inside it, oh and I had to do some clearance-ing to clear the back of the can and the wires, I will find out how this flies tomorrow,

PS I think running a giant 2 cell or small three cell wrapped in lead would have let the motor live, and still given good climb
how did you melt the plastic mount? Run it too hot? I realised the motor is for you to climb gently, not one for vertical climb.

it's a nice foamie, who knows someone might choose to glass the body and wings as a cheap competitor to fibreglass gliders.
Jack_Chen is offline Find More Posts by Jack_Chen
Old Aug 12, 2010, 09:40 PM
Joined Dec 2009
538 Posts
I didnt melt the motor, i melted the plastic mount it attaches to, the motor in the mini moa is a 24mm diamter hobbyking bell shaped can outrunner, it has an aluminum base with 3 screws mounting it to the plastic tabs inside the red nose cone. There is no airflow over it, and running on their power system and recomended 2200 mah 20 c battery it cooked the plastic in less than 5 minutes run time spread out over 35 minutes of flight. this CG is barely flyable, as the glider is very pitch sensitive under power, but the glide is phenomenal power off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Chen View Post
how did you melt the plastic mount? Run it too hot? I realised the motor is for you to climb gently, not one for vertical climb.

it's a nice foamie, who knows someone might choose to glass the body and wings as a cheap competitor to fibreglass gliders.
cgoffa is offline Find More Posts by cgoffa
Old Aug 13, 2010, 12:16 AM
Sic transit gloria
Rushmore Academy
Joined Sep 2008
161 Posts
Quote:
I didnt melt the motor, i melted the plastic mount it attaches to, the motor in the mini moa is a 24mm diamter hobbyking bell shaped can outrunner, it has an aluminum base with 3 screws mounting it to the plastic tabs inside the red nose cone. There is no airflow over it, and running on their power system and recomended 2200 mah 20 c battery it cooked the plastic in less than 5 minutes run time spread out over 35 minutes of flight. this CG is barely flyable, as the glider is very pitch sensitive under power, but the glide is phenomenal power off.
Any suggestions to avoid this from happening?
MAX FISCHER is offline Find More Posts by MAX FISCHER
Old Aug 13, 2010, 01:42 AM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX FISCHER View Post
I will be drilling some 4mm (3/16") holes on the spinner backplate...then neatly
enlarging the area where the prop blades meet the spinner hub ....so that flow thru ventilation can access the bell motor.

The Spinner does lever of with gentle coaxing with a small Jewelers Screwdriver.

I had the same problem with the ST Models ASW28.

This mod was the most obvious to be done as the motor virtually has no cooling access!

Will post some pics when I get down to it!

HJ
Hondajet is offline Find More Posts by Hondajet
Old Aug 13, 2010, 01:55 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,500 Posts
Quote:
Am I right in guessing that glide trim is ok but under power it wants to climb to much ? if this is the case it requires downthrust.
might pay to use expo on the rudder or reduced throws.
how are the allerons sensitive also?.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Aug 13, 2010, 04:53 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,119 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to post. I am loooooking at this one.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Aug 13, 2010, 06:35 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX FISCHER View Post
You could try a smaller folder with a turbo hub ,it will draw less current = cooler. what size is the prop? and spinner hub diameter?.shaft size?.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Aug 13, 2010, 09:04 AM
Which way is up?
Ft Myers, Fl
Joined Feb 2003
1,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
Am I right in guessing that glide trim is ok but under power it wants to climb to much ? if this is the case it requires downthrust.
might pay to use expo on the rudder or reduced throws.
how are the allerons sensitive also?.
I would think since the motor is only run occasionally, that either mixing down elevator with the throttle use or holding down as needed would be workable. This would save having to modify the mounting of the motor.

Jim
jbird is offline Find More Posts by jbird
Old Aug 13, 2010, 09:07 AM
Which way is up?
Ft Myers, Fl
Joined Feb 2003
1,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondajet View Post
I will be drilling some 4mm (3/16") holes on the spinner backplate...then neatly
enlarging the area where the prop blades meet the spinner hub ....so that flow thru ventilation can access the bell motor.

The Spinner does lever of with gentle coaxing with a small Jewelers Screwdriver.

I had the same problem with the ST Models ASW28.

This mod was the most obvious to be done as the motor virtually has no cooling access!

Will post some pics when I get down to it!

HJ
Appreciate your offer of pics of the cooling mod.

I just received email stating that they're packing mine up and getting ready to ship.

I enjoy my radian but if this flies close to as well as the radian, I'll be very happy as I like the look of this model better.

Jim
Old Aug 13, 2010, 09:51 AM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
Appreciate your offer of pics of the cooling mod.

I just received email stating that they're packing mine up and getting ready to ship.

I enjoy my radian but if this flies close to as well as the radian, I'll be very happy as I like the look of this model better.

Jim

Here they are Jim...

I have yet to maiden mine....weather too stormy here at present...but I still have to get a AR7000 rx for it as well.

Posted pic of recommended COG and I still had to add 70g of nose weight to get it to balance at the 54mm mark....with a 3s 2250 Rhino batt on board.

I will be using a lot of expo on the control surfaces to dampen all that over controlling as the control surfaces are huge!

Louis
Old Aug 13, 2010, 09:59 AM
Which way is up?
Ft Myers, Fl
Joined Feb 2003
1,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondajet View Post
Here they are Jim...

I have yet to maiden mine....weather too stormy here at present...but I still have to get a AR7000 rx for it as well.

Posted pic of recommended COG and I still had to add 70g of nose weight to get it to balance at the 54mm mark....with a 3s 2250 Rhino batt on board.

I will be using a lot of expo on the control surfaces to dampen all that over controlling as the control surfaces are huge!

Louis
Looks good. I'm just thinking out loud......wondering if a hole in the center of the spinner would help with air into that area. Wouldn't look as good but if not too big, might not be real noticeable.

Also, where does the battery sit in relation to the cg?

I was thinking of using a smaller battery but don't need to agravate the cg problem and needing more nose wt.

Jim
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:24 AM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
Looks good. I'm just thinking out loud......wondering if a hole in the center of the spinner would help with air into that area. Wouldn't look as good but if not too big, might not be real noticeable.

Also, where does the battery sit in relation to the cg?

I was thinking of using a smaller battery but don't need to agravate the cg problem and needing more nose wt.

Jim
Here is another cooling pic I forgot to post.

The battery sits forward of the COG and its weight is needed to balance the Minimoa.

She is totally aft COG without any adjustment! I would not worry about weight at this stage and you will probably need to add some to balance LEVEL at the 54mm mark.

You could put a hole in the front of the spinner....but it will spoil the static looks! The openings I have shown in the spinner mods at the prop hubs is more than adequate and will definitely cool the motor with airflow from normal flight.

HJ
Last edited by Hondajet; Aug 13, 2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 12:04 PM
Princeton, NJ US Capitol in 1783
Joined Nov 2008
32 Posts
Thanks HJ for posting your Minimoa mods - most interesting!

Can't wait for mine to arrive - huh, it that the doorbell???
voodootv is offline Find More Posts by voodootv
Old Aug 13, 2010, 12:20 PM
Princeton, NJ US Capitol in 1783
Joined Nov 2008
32 Posts
It has arrived! All looks good - but missing instructions!

Will link to Art-Tech site and download their pdf manual.
voodootv is offline Find More Posts by voodootv