HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:05 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,912 Posts
[QUOTE=nigelsheffield;23129924]If the winds are coming up hill ...QUOTE]

You know who I really envy with the sailplanes? Those guys who fly from crests & ridges with deep valley around them. I live in what's called the 'coastal plains'. It just seems cool as all heck to be able to dive & fly below where your feet are planted then bring 'er up & keep going -- & being able to see the top of your plane while it's flying! If we had that kinda terrain anywhere nearby here, I'd live there!!

Seriously, I'd really luv to try that some day.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:43 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
816 Posts
Starhopper,

Ridge soaring is great fun for just that reason. You get to soar the planes alot closer to where you are. It is a trip to see a sailplane come whizzing along a ridge right towards you and go whistling by.

Jackson
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:32 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,838 Posts
Wales is the place for that kind of flying over here, lots of big hills and valleys, next time I go on holiday that way I'm gonna see if I can squeeze a glider in the boot, even if it's only my little hlg bug!

Jackson your Yak sounds like a real power house and bet it handles the winds with no problems!

I'm still in 2 minds about putting in the 3 axis stab on anything yet, I put it in a foamy to test but the 20 amp esc got really hot just setting the thing up on the ground in a few mins without powering motor even, I will need to install a ubec in anything I put it in and even then the servos are gonna take a beating, and reviews suggest that it really upsets you aerobatics too and is best suited to fvp/quad applications.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Last edited by nigelsheffield; Oct 30, 2012 at 03:39 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:52 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,912 Posts
Maybe a year ago I tried 2 single-axis gyros in my ol' Bix (wings & elevator) looking to suppress how the wind knocks its 'lightness' around, in hopes of better aerial videos. I really didn't like how they took away quickness of control input response when it was needed. I tried both, then each axis singly, tweaked & fine-tuned 'til I was blue in the face....but in the end they came out.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:58 AM
Perth WA
Joined Jul 2009
15 Posts
Thanks to Nigel and Jackson for comments on wind speed etc. So far I haven't flown the Moa (or anything else for that matter) in anything higher than around 5 kph but maybe the time has come to have a go and see it soaring rather than trying to get it to float.
Happy flying to All.
amteff is offline Find More Posts by amteff
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:53 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
816 Posts
Amteff,

Glad to hear you are getting ready for flying in stronger winds. As my video demonstrates, the Moa is quite capable of handling winds in the 10-15 mph (up to 24 kph) range. Once you have flown in strong winds you will gain a great deal of confidence in your flying abilities.

Nigel - Yep the Yak is a powerhouse. Definitely my highest power-to-weight plane. When I am in the right mood there is nothing like a couple of intense aerobatic flights.

Cheers to all,

Jackson
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:37 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Maybe a year ago I tried 2 single-axis gyros in my ol' Bix (wings & elevator) looking to suppress how the wind knocks its 'lightness' around, in hopes of better aerial videos. I really didn't like how they took away quickness of control input response when it was needed. I tried both, then each axis singly, tweaked & fine-tuned 'til I was blue in the face....but in the end they came out.
Thanks for that, yeah, I think I'm gonna leave it out to be honest it sounds like a hassle that I just don't need.
I might make a extension with a ubec on so I can swap it around easily try it out on different planes when I'm really bored.
Might put it on ebay if not and probably get more then I paid for it lol.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:41 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,912 Posts
Y'know, something else I heard (read) about gyros just came to mind: they cause more crashes than they save. Pre-experience I would've argued with that - in fact think I did, in a sense. On another thread someone mentioned what I tried, ie video stability, & one of our buds from Oz wise-cracked "Real RC men don't need no steenkin' gyro" and the OP took him serious. In no time it turned into a pi§§ing match battle royale.

Me, Mr. Practical, argued pro-gyro (because I'd decided to try, had bought & had them, but hadn't flown them at the time) saying the advantage I saw & anticipated was, with the speed of electronics (ie 'light') they could make corrections faster than any thumb ever dreamed of reacting & moving, plus the correction would always be directionally correct, and in the correct amount -- so what wasn't to like, y'know?

What I didn't realize at the time was, they also fight to a degree, your inputs to the airplane. Everybody says "Oh you need to turn 'em down a bit".....trust me, I went from one end of the range to the other in half-hair increments.....it just didn't ever click. On two different brands & models, in case someone thinks of that.

But hey.....as the WWW.'s motto constantly proclaims, "YMMV"! And in fairness I should confess, tho my 4 gyros are gathering dust (if they can do that in their boxes locked inside a storage cabinet *LOL* ) I am nonetheless hangin' onto them for some future play.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:48 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
816 Posts
Starhopper,

I think the heli guys might take issue with your latest position on gyros. I don't think they could fly without head lock gyros.

However, I agree that gyros in planes are of questionable value.

Jackson
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:58 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,912 Posts
Heli's are about as YMMV as they come.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2012, 05:37 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,912 Posts
Slightly 'OT', but where we were talking about flying 'below' yourself, and being able to see the top of your plane while in flight? Is this not a magnificent sight? :

I say 'slightly' because, that is a glider.
(All the more "magnificent"-er) *LOL*

Ref: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1762018
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:00 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,838 Posts
Nice glider that one!
The flybarless helis need the 3 axis gyro and would not be flyable without them, my M8 had a couple and found them good and bad compared to the normal flybared helis, but I think it was more a case of them flying differently and getting used to the way they fly was difficult, ie to take off all he had to do was open the throttle and not touch the cyclic, maybe it's a similar case for the planes ie they are not gonna fly the same as b4, but feel a bit unnatural.
The main reason I wanted to try it was so I could fly something when the winds are gusty and turbulant, I'll give it a go sometime!

Another option would be a micro heli, I have the esky lama v3 but that's a bit boring now, I might request a nano cpx for xmas!
Old Nov 02, 2012, 08:21 PM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,307 Posts
I think where the gyro's really come into their own is with smaller foamy aircraft (<300g). It makes them fly like a much bigger aircraft, and they are able to handle gusty wind a lot better.

I would not bother trying on the Minimoa. It's large enough to have plenty of axial momentum.
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:50 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
...I would not bother trying on the Minimoa. It's large enough to have plenty of axial momentum.
I think I see your point, but wouldn't angular momentum be the applicable term, or are they close enough to be effectively the same in your context? Moot, that difference in what I'm saying here but on the surface I might argue the 'momentum' point. Tho large, this characterization of a Moa is so lightweight, and those double parachutes (heh) so efficient at catching air, plus their positional leveraging, means it gets knocked around by wind pretty well.

To summate my point - it's good or even excellent at riding the wind, but requires close attention (vectorally) to keep its advantage. I guess in my head when it comes to momentum, it lacks the mass to be said to have "plenty".

(Just for the conversation.)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:43 AM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
I think I see your point, but wouldn't angular momentum be the applicable term
Yes, you are absolutely right. I knew it was wrong when I wrote it. The word 'angular' was on the tip of my tongue but would not come out.

Always fun to try different stuff. I actually bought one of those HK orange 3 axis gyros to play with myself. Great for powered planes, but I do see quite a few potential problems in a glider.

One problem with gliders is that you can't program spoilerons in when you use it. Also, I'm thinking the gyro would disguise tell tale signs that let you know what is happening in the air. For example, when looking for thermals, you will see one wing lift and the glider begins to roll out away from the thermal. The gyro would stop you from seeing this. I'm also thinking that during tight turns, it may induce tip stall on the inside wing as it acts to prevent the inside wing from dipping due to lower airspeed. It would also stop the glider from dipping it's nose as air speed drops in a straight line, which may lead to a sudden stall. Interesting to think about.
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow