SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:33 PM
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield View Post
A 2.6m would surely perform better then the moa and probably already ironed out any problems for you, I'd go for it as long as you have some experience flying you'll be fine.
Yeah agree with your comments and picking it up today.

Thanks for all your info and advice!

Cheers
Goody63 is offline Find More Posts by Goody63
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:12 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
821 Posts
Good luck with the new 2.6 meter glider Goody! That is a nice size for getting good performance. I have a 2.3 meter ASW-28 that I really enjoy.

Regards,

Jackson
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:18 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,931 Posts
Thanks Jackson

Picked it up today.

Very long and thin wings but a real nice composite fuse (with lots of room for a platform for the Hitec sensor hub and GPS).

Think it might be going to be a little on the fast side though.

I flew a 750w Blizzard for a couple of years so hopefully the speed won't be an issue!

Oh, well. Summer's just around the corner so should be some decent thermalling soon!

Cheers

Save
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:57 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,731 Posts
Good lucky goody, I',m sure you'll be fine, turning is more the issue with the longer wingspan, especially if it's thin, you will need nice coordinated long wide turns especially when lining up for a landing, turn too tight and it will drop a wing.
750w in a blizzard must have been like a remote control bullet!
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:00 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,931 Posts
Quote:
Good lucky goody, I',m sure you'll be fine, turning is more the issue with the longer wingspan, especially if it's thin, you will need nice coordinated long wide turns especially when lining up for a landing, turn too tight and it will drop a wing.
750w in a blizzard must have been like a remote control bullet!
Thanks Nigel

MP don't seem capable of making a bad model!

Even flew the Blizzard through some trees at the end of a dive under full power!

I'll never forget the sickening sounds of breaking branches.

But.......was flying again the following weekend.

Cheers
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:42 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody63 View Post
Thanks Nigel

MP don't seem capable of making a bad model!

Even flew the Blizzard through some trees at the end of a dive under full power!

I'll never forget the sickening sounds of breaking branches.

But.......was flying again the following weekend.

Cheers
Would not have been much left if that was a balsa model!
Mind you I had a big balsa trainer (nitro) many years ago and radio went dead on me, motor carried on of course and plane looped about 4 times b4 crashing into a tree and then dropping into a stream, increadibly there was no damage at all and once dried out everything worked again! I did not build it though lmfao!
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:03 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,739 Posts
Quote:
Would not have been much left if that was a balsa model!
Mind you I had a big balsa trainer (nitro) many years ago and radio went dead on me, motor carried on of course and plane looped about 4 times b4 crashing into a tree and then dropping into a stream, increadibly there was no damage at all and once dried out everything worked again! I did not build it though lmfao!
One of the best 'visuals' I've heard described, we've got a guy in the club in his 50's, been flying RC almost as long as radios have been around. He told us about one of the first big foam planes he'd seen belonged to a fellow club member, a big nitro-fed P-51 that would Haul. The. Mail. Said the guy was flying one day while Mike was prepping his plane to take up. He stood up & saw the guy was coming out of a long dive, and was headed right at the one huge tree anywhere near the airfield, on the opposite side away from them. When he realized what was about to happen he only had time to shout "Watch ou...." and heard the 'Thump' -- so hard he said they felt it thru the ground with their feet. He said the plane went into the tree on one side, & it looked like popcorn exploded out the other side.

His observation: "Despite the sad ending, it was actually pretty cool to see."
(He ain't quite right in th' head)
(I think it's all those nitro fumes he grew up with)
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:32 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,731 Posts
Ahh , those were the days lol, I can still smell the nitro and hear the noise lol.
Failures were a lot more common place then with nitro and 35mhz with the peg board with all the frequencies on so that you did not turn on your controls and crash someone elses plane for them lol.
Practically every meeting there was at least one crash either due to "flame out" or inteferance or some other technical failure or just plain old dumb thumbs, and I think you had to have a sense of humour and laugh about it or just give up and get a rc car instead. The biggest shame I saw was a biggish p38 lightning twin nitro engine on it's maiden flight, one engine died just after take off and the chap moved the rudder the wrong way and kept throttle on full, the plane just spiralled straight into ground and smashed to bits.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:13 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,739 Posts
Motor upgrade revisited:
I picked up a motor/30A ESC/folder/spinner/mounting discs (all) from a guy who was going sloper-only with a Phoenix 2000 he'd just bought. My P2K came in at 1010 grams with EagleTree instrumentation & 2200mAh LiPo setup.

The Moa's ads show only 720g flying weight, but according to my records my stock build came in at about 960 grams without the 2 steel ballast slugs. That's about the widest separation between ad & fact I recall ever seeing. I can't get at my Moa right now to re-weigh....can anyone confirm that number, & give me a true with-LiPo AUW?

In any regard, the P2K's motor/prop hauled it around right smartly; according to my EagleTree the day I hit 1018' AGL the climb (with cooling pause-&-glide) took only 52 seconds, as an example.

I'm thinking the P2K's motor/prop combo'd with the 30A ESC would make a dandy substitution for the Mm's power plant -- give it some of the zip it's lacking. And maybe drop the li'l hummer from the Mm into a smaller park-flyer I'm planning to build for dinkin' around.

Whatcha think?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:48 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,731 Posts
Cant remember what mine weighed but I know it pretty heavy for a 2 m glider.
Your idea sounds fine, all you can do it try it out!
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:49 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,739 Posts
Yeah....what's that old saying - ''A rolling outrunner gathers no moss'' or sump'n like that?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:52 AM
Joined Sep 2012
169 Posts
Hi guys. I've dragged my Minimoa out of the shed. (it's been in there about a year following me not having faith in it after a hard crash on it's maiden- yeah I didn't give enough 'down' elevator on launch). I'd not even known there were any threads on this plane so was pretty much on my own.

Anyway, I'd now like to get it flying again. But before I do, I've read that some rcgroup members have adapted or altered the wing mounting method. I've read and read the same sentences over and over but, being a visual sort of person, I can't 'picture' the mods that have been done.

Has anyone got a photo of the mods they can post here? Failing that, maybe someone who's done this mod wouldn't mind explaining it to make it 'idiot-proof'? That way I might just get the idea.
Beanz is offline Find More Posts by Beanz
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:18 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,731 Posts
I have not done the mod and had no problems even though I often loop and roll and am using quite heavy batteries.
I thought it was just a case of making a plate with the wing nuts on and glueing it under the foam in fuse?
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:21 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,739 Posts
Perhaps they're there, but I honestly haven't (as yet) seen others' offers for solutions. My own idea involves, basically, using the 2 empty holes (& why are they?!?) in the wing's mounting section, coupled by screws per the 2 already provided, to an additional anchoring point in the floor. Said anchoring point, according to plans, to be a plank of (eg) plywood containing 2 appropriately positioned blind nuts , all epoxied into place.

Caveat:
Besides the minimal weight this will add, there's another point to keep in mind.
The 2 front (existing) screws, still, are mounted entirely with the plane's foam as its entire supporting structure. This includes those 2 screws' Blind Nuts, which are only hot-glued into the base of the foam 'cylinders' the screws pass thru. Needless to say, foam is not the stoutest of building materials!

When one regards the shape of the Mm's wings, it can be seen they are like a cross-section out of a parachute - those 'pockets' catch a tremendous amount of inrushing air when, eg, pulling out of a dive. And the pockets, if you look and analyze, are effectively weights on one end of a fulcrum - the leveraged end of which is those wing halves' mounting point!

Hence one should always keep in mind, just how strong is the foam at that point, versus the amount of force that can be placed upon them in flying? Without additional reinforcement of the area those 2 (or 4) wing mounting screws occupy, as well as their anchoring, I don't think we should presume this Minimoa as capable of anything more than mild aerobatics.

She's for floating & soaring - she does it well. And I might add, 'looking good in the air!! If you want to go nuts, either find another plane, or expect the worst.

As I see it.
Blue Skies!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:48 AM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
Hi guys. I've dragged my Minimoa out of the shed. (it's been in there about a year following me not having faith in it after a hard crash on it's maiden- yeah I didn't give enough 'down' elevator on launch). I'd not even known there were any threads on this plane so was pretty much on my own.

Anyway, I'd now like to get it flying again. But before I do, I've read that some rcgroup members have adapted or altered the wing mounting method. I've read and read the same sentences over and over but, being a visual sort of person, I can't 'picture' the mods that have been done.

Has anyone got a photo of the mods they can post here? Failing that, maybe someone who's done this mod wouldn't mind explaining it to make it 'idiot-proof'? That way I might just get the idea.
Unless you have a problem with the wing mounting (like maybe it is broken) I wouldn't worry about it. I can not recall ever seeing a report of anyone pulling the wings off a MiniMoa in flight. A full on crash would likely accomplish it, but that would probably be the least of the resulting problems. The MM is not designed to be a hotliner. If that is what you want, get one! But keep the MM for the beautiful slow passes, mild acrobatics and just floating around 'looking good' as Starhopper put it.

Regards,
Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks