SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 31, 2012, 05:30 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,406 Posts
(I can buy a lot of White Adhesive tape for $15, Gordz. )
(Local Shops < key words)
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:56 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
(I can buy a lot of White Adhesive tape for $15, Gordz. )
(Local Shops < key words)
Well, yea... But it's only about $9.50 at Horizon if you add it on to an order. And if you have a reasonable shop around, that doesn't rip you for everything they can get, you might get it ordered in for about $10. And there is a lot there. Over three inches wide and six and a half feet long. Cut it to any width and length you need.

But if you do use that Adhesive tape you might put some clear packing tape over it so it can't get dirty!

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Sep 01, 2012, 04:26 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,242 Posts
JUst use what you have, it's only tape and u can rip it off again if it's no good, u could even just celotape over the top of your white tape to keep it clean like starhopper says.
I quite like the wire and servos showing when it's up in air it adds a bit of interest to the wing lol.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Sep 01, 2012, 05:33 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Home Depot sells high quality electrical tape in a variety of colors. I have black, blue, red, white and yellow. I have used the white extensively on foamy sailplanes and it works like a charm. It adheres well on the first laydown and conforms well to any irregularities in the surface. It is also easy to remove if needed. Just the right amount of "tack".

BTW, I have two new videos to share with you guys. Both are off topic but very good.

Dynam RC PBY Catalina Flying at Bingham Lake (9 min 15 sec)

Bucker Jungmann at Crosswinds 08-26-12 (3 min 39 sec)

Enjoy! Jackson
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Old Sep 01, 2012, 09:16 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
Well, yea... But it's only about $9.50 at Horizon if you add it on to an order. Gord
Don't anticipate any orders with HH in the foreseeable future -- -- Need = Now.

Quote:
"...And if you have a reasonable shop around, ..."
I don't.

Quote:
" ... for about $10. And there is a lot there. Over three inches wide and six and a half feet long. Cut it to any width and length you need. ..."
OR, I could just pull off as much of the factory pre-trimmed-straight-sided White Adhesive Tape amount I need, & take a quick 1/2" snip.
All for about 4 total!
(Ya ain't gonna win this one, Gordo!) *LOL*

Quote:
"...But if you do use that Adhesive tape you might put some clear packing tape over it so it can't get dirty! "
Gord
Now THERE's a thought! Good idea. Might even double-duty as a wing bracer.

+++++
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield View Post
JUst use what you have, it's only tape and u can rip it off again if it's no good, u could even just celotape over the top of your white tape to keep it clean like starhopper says. ..."
I will. And credit where it's due -- that wuz m' good bud Gordy wot sed that.

Quote:
"...I quite like the wire and servos showing when it's up in air it adds a bit of interest to the wing lol."
Yeah.....but you're from Yorkshire!.

++++++++
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Stone View Post
Home Depot sells high quality electrical tape in a variety of colors. I have black, blue, red, white and yellow. I have used the white extensively on foamy sailplanes and it works like a charm. It adheres well on the first laydown and conforms well to any irregularities in the surface. It is also easy to remove if needed. Just the right amount of "tack".
Yeahhh....I know of the stuff you speak - but for one, we don't have an HD in this podunk 1-hoss burg I live in (actually, 'near'). Do have a Lowe's, which had closed their doors & left town but did finally come back .... which does carry the tapes you mention &, I had checked....white = stock out. (my luck) Wal-Mart too -- their standard policy of "everything you might want, right up to the size/color you need & it stops 1 short" was in full usual force. But thanx for the thought. I'm just gonna use the white adhesive tape & overcoat with the clear, guys. One thing, I'm wanting to put some ID #s in dual-purpose BIG block lettering-cum-orientation striping under there....still haven't figured how best to handle that. The sawdust is still smoldering.

Heyyyy.....lovely aircraft -- and a Double Feature -- yippeeeeee!!!!
Gonna hafta watch 'em after I get back tho....right now I'm about to starve & I've gotta get some breakfast in me. Yesterday was my birthday so I'm gonna go out & treat myself!
(...before my backbone sues my stomach for non-support! )

L8r, G8rs!
Peace,
Out!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2012, 12:03 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,406 Posts
Those videos were lovely & fun to watch Jax, & thanks for those. But the presentation on the B-17 was stunning! Brought me to choked-updedness a couple times. (I have a special connection with the plane.)

The Memphis Belle is sitting at an airport about 3 counties west of here where I used to live, even as I type this. If gas weren't so freakin' high I'd be sorely tempted to go visit her again. She's grounded due to some small mechanical glitch right now so, no tours.....but there's a couple of her original crew (Pilot & a Waist Gunner) on scene & telling tales. Tell me that isn't tempting!

Thanx again guy....some great editing & really enjoyed the show. Touching, to say the least.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2012, 06:02 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Those videos were lovely & fun to watch Jax, & thanks for those. But the presentation on the B-17 was stunning! Brought me to choked-updedness a couple times. (I have a special connection with the plane.)

The Memphis Belle is sitting at an airport about 3 counties west of here where I used to live, even as I type this. If gas weren't so freakin' high I'd be sorely tempted to go visit her again. She's grounded due to some small mechanical glitch right now so, no tours.....but there's a couple of her original crew (Pilot & a Waist Gunner) on scene & telling tales. Tell me that isn't tempting!

Thanx again guy....some great editing & really enjoyed the show. Touching, to say the least.
The one on the B17 got me the same way when I first saw it a couple of months back. Still does. And I liked the Catalina vid as well! My dad was a photographer in the Pacific in WWII, based on carriers, and I know he mentioned that plane a number of times. My bet is that he would have spent some time in them. The take offs in that vid are just beautiful. Wonder if the landings can be done smoothly as well. That tail is so far behind the part that sits on the water that it tends to cause the wings to take a very positive angle of attack just after it hits the water and jump back up in the air. Maybe one of those HobbyKing three axis stabilizers might help.. In any case, I think I need a Catalina. Very pretty in the air and on the water.

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Sep 01, 2012, 07:33 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Starhopper and Gords,

Thanks for the compliments on the video. I have to agree that the B-17 one is more engaging due to the content. Regarding the Catalina, I got three of these beauties and gave two to friends. The one you see is flown by my friend and RC mentor Jens Aarnaes. He really has some nice takeoffs as Gord notes, but the landings were not in the same league. The Cat takes a delicate hand and calm winds to land smoothly. I have done it a couple of times, but don't have any video to share. What it takes is a smooth approach with a flare that puts the Cat about a foot off the water. Then back off the throttle, let her bleed off speed and gently settle on the water. I really love these scale planes and the whole bit about taking off and landing on water is highly addictive.

Cheers,

Jackson
Old Sep 02, 2012, 05:03 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,242 Posts
Nice vids jackson, especially the cat on the water, dont think would have much chance of calm winds and water for nice landings around here though!

Starhopper, you sound like your on something and it seems good, send me some over please I need some cheering up lmfao! Oh and I'm not from Yorkshire just moved here as my wife is from here, I'm London born and mostly lived in Milton Keynes, I like it here better apart from the weather lol.

Happy flying!
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:17 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,242 Posts
Off subject but I got my gws fw190 all fixed after a very long time, this morn the winds were low and yesterday the grass had been cut so thought I would give it a go, but grass was still too long and all I managed to do was break the motor mount trying to get the thing to run a long the ground and nosing over. So came and got my hand launch spitfire instead and had a blast with that. Winds soon got back up again though and rest of day was no flying again.
Got my blaster all sorted with the new servo and ready to fly on 1 cell lipo 1200mah for a long play once these winds go away.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:03 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Quote:
Off subject but I got my gws fw190 all fixed after a very long time, this morn the winds were low and yesterday the grass had been cut so thought I would give it a go, but grass was still too long and all I managed to do was break the motor mount trying to get the thing to run a long the ground and nosing over. So came and got my hand launch spitfire instead and had a blast with that. Winds soon got back up again though and rest of day was no flying again.str
Got my blaster all sorted with the new servo and ready to fly on 1 cell lipo 1200mah for a long play once these winds go away.
Nigel, nice to hear you are getting in some variety with your flying. I have been pretty focused on the Mustang, Bucker and Funjet recently as I joined an RC club with a nice strip and open flying area.

Check out my latest video which shows the Mustang flying with a sound module creating a fairly authentic Merlin engine noise:

FMS Mustang at Crosswinds 09-03-12 (4 min 36 sec)
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:35 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,242 Posts
Jackson you are getting very good at video productions, you could be the next George Lucus.
Can I come and live next door to you so I can fly at the same venues as you?
Mark had a p51 with the sound module and it was very impressive I thought, unfortunately he only got it to take off a few times on the long grass, and kept bending the undercarriage every landing and broke the prop nosing over on take off, he sold it then of course.

I'm thinking what we need is length of carpet that we can roll out for a landing strip lol, but I dont think the school would be too happy about it.

Another idea would be to get a fixed undercariage plane with oversized wheels like the aussies have for the bush-could be fun.

But for the rest it's gonna have to be hand launch and belly land which is ok but not as impressive as taking off, retracting wheels etc.

The chap who is onto 3d planes came down yesterday with a giant foamy and even that struggled, it got off the ground ok but on landing the undercarriage just folded under causing his very big expensive looking wooden prop to break.

Well suns out again today-winds are rubbish again though so long walks with the dog I think, tommorow is forcast a bit calmer so fingers crossed for a remaiden of my blaster.

Happy flying all.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:54 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Nigel,

Thanks for the compliment on the video. I am no George Lucas but I do enjoy producing a good video. It is a way for me to convey my enthusiasm for the hobby and each plane. I am also starting to video other people's aircraft with pleasing results as well. I tell my friend Jens, who was my mentor getting into the RC hobby, that I live in the "thrall" of flying.

You are welcome to visit me anytime and we will go fly at all my favorite places.

Regarding that pesky grass at your flying site, sounds like it is perfect for soft landings of sailplanes, and terrible for planes with landing gear. I have spent hours reconnoitering landing fields to find the sites I now fly at. My favorite surface for landing is Astroturf and I am fortunate to have two nearby sitest that have Astroturf.

I am in Managua, Nicaragua today looking at an oil and gas project here. Back to Denver tomorrow. Will be flying on Sunday!

Cheers,

Jackson
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:41 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,242 Posts
Thanks for the invite Jackson, you never know I might take you up on that if I'm ever on holiday in your neck of the woods.
Astroturf would be great, I wonder if I could convince the school to fit it in our field, doubt it though somehow.
Well had a nice flight with the moa tonight, winds almost completely went away about 1/2 hour b4 it got dark.
My blaster has been remaidened with fixed servos and 1 cell 1200mah lipo worked very well, no real difference noticed in performance and after 1hr45mins I recharged only 125mah so I will never have to leave a thermal due to battery concerns, I could fly for 5 hours easy lol, but I don't think I will ever actually test that theory!
Trimmed out spitfire after realizing that the servos were fixed to a plastic mount that itself was no longer glued in lol-now glued, only to fly one battery and then the motor would not start, just beeped and then shut down-probably the esc but I will look tomorrow, might just be a broken wire.
Hope for another flying day soon-had a lot of fun today.
Happy flying.
Nigel
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:23 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the invite Jackson, you never know I might take you up on that if I'm ever on holiday in your neck of the woods.

Hope for another flying day soon-had a lot of fun today.
Happy flying.
Nigel
Hi Nigel,

Well, if you ever do come out know that I have two transmitters and a variety of planes. We could go out flying together with my planes. It would be great fun.

I just got back from my trip to Nicaragua and went out for a couple of flights with the P-51 and B-25 at the Crosswinds RC field. The last flight with the B-25, which occurred after the sun had set, was a beauty. I flew her with medium throttle and nice wide turns, like a real one would fly. All the guys watching loved it. Planning to get in a couple of hours of flying there tomorrow am.

Cheers,

Jackson