HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:13 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,406 Posts
Was the shaft threaded on that 1000Kv? I'm starting to wonder if there was more changed than meets the eye when they went to the new prop. The backside of my prop's hub is a double-lobed 'key' inset socket, which male part that fits in & causes the prop to spin is attached to front of the motor. Have never seen that type of an affair before, & from its (apparent?) uniquity you'd have a hard time making this folding prop fit onto another, 'normal' motor shaft - ergo have to change out the whole prop assy also.

What am I missing here???
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:18 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Starhopper,

IMHO you are better off going for a high quality motor and prop assembly. You can find all kinds of good stuff at www.headsuprc.com including the
motor (http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...2C-28mm/Detail),
spinner (http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...Hub-for/Detail),
and blades (http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ades-10/Detail).

I also suggest a replacement ESC (http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-40-Amp/Detail).

Hope this is helpful to you.

Regards,

Jackson
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:42 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,406 Posts
Thanks for your input, Jackson. My first concern is in being able to keep the stock RED nose, including prop, et al. Ergo the motor must be adaptable to that system. I will even take the motor to a machine shop & have its shaft threaded, if neccessary.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:56 AM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Was the shaft threaded on that 1000Kv? I'm starting to wonder if there was more changed than meets the eye when they went to the new prop. The backside of my prop's hub is a double-lobed 'key' inset socket, which male part that fits in & causes the prop to spin is attached to front of the motor. Have never seen that type of an affair before, & from its (apparent?) uniquity you'd have a hard time making this folding prop fit onto another, 'normal' motor shaft - ergo have to change out the whole prop assy also.

What am I missing here???
The following photo shows what I have in front of my MiniMoa. The shaft is threaded. The noise I have been hearing lately is the outside of the bell rubbing a bit on the inside of the red plastic motor mount, very near the front. The plastic shows no sign of melting or sagging, but the motor does seem to have sagged slightly so that the bell is a few thousandths lower than it was. It is not the bearings, they are tight. I will have to shim behind the metal mount to fix it.

I just don't know if you will be able to find a motor like this today. But it is worth a look. I have seen some similar motors. Just don't know about their power capabilities, electrical characteristics and such. I will post a link if I find anything really close. Otherwise something like Jackson has suggested may be needed.

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:17 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,406 Posts
Thanks a million for that Gordo - I see something in there I didn't see on mine! Will hafta go back inside to confirm - might be awhile as I'm back working on the Blaze again. For one thing, looks like I'm gonna have to get the new motor in (after deciding on one!) before I can build the firewall it'll take to accommodate it....so 'drop in replacement' becomes kinda moot. I just might be out of the Minimoa business for a while here.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2012, 01:03 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Minimoa Appearance

Starhopper,

I understand the desire to stay stock with planes. It is human nature to fiddle with the existing design rather than change it.

Once I made the decision to change, I ended up being quite happy with the result. In terms of appearance, this is what i came up with:
Hobby King Minimoa Ridge Soaring in Colorado (1 min 22 sec)

Keep us posted of your progress.

Cheers,

Jackson
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:28 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,406 Posts
*LOL* Thanx for that toe-tapper, Jackson. Made me wanta look around for somebody to dance with.

Some beautiful shots there - I particularly liked the one I cap'd below. If that doesn't look like a gull heeling off in a dive I don't know what does!

There's someone, I've seen, that makes a red anodized spinner, even in Turbo style, which if I'm gonna go alternative, I'll prolly do. Then too, the stock blades can surely be adapted even if it takes grinding or shimming. And heck, if push comes to shove, that's why God gave us rattlecans! *LOL*

Thanx again dude - enjoyed the show.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:40 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Stone View Post
Starhopper,

I understand the desire to stay stock with planes. It is human nature to fiddle with the existing design rather than change it.

Once I made the decision to change, I ended up being quite happy with the result. In terms of appearance, this is what i came up with: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F57zqquca7I

Keep us posted of your progress.

Cheers,

Jackson
Loved that one Jackson. I was hoping it would just keep on going till the music finished. Too good to stop in the middle!

Gord
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:16 AM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,094 Posts
Looking good Jackson. I also fiddle a bit with my Mini, to make it better. Strengthen the wing attachment now. So today I am going to the city to buy larger screws.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Last edited by ArneHu; Aug 30, 2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:38 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,242 Posts
Jackson the red tips look good, I think I'll go and paint mine now, it will cover the glue used to fix the tip!
I personally would not bother going to great lengths to keep stock prop and spinner as its not that good anyway in terms of performance and balance and strength, you cant really see it when it's up in the air anyway.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:54 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,406 Posts
I like it 'cuz it tends to blend in (thematically) while it's on the ground! I'm even intending to paint the tips white when I re-do 'er.

(Aside) Yo Gordo!
That 'other thread' with the ebony quacker? No names but, there's another character that's signed in recently that about takes the cake! Some of the things he asks about, he's gotta be hearing an almost constant barrage of WOOSHes of things going over his head! Either that or he's just flat out the world's greatest troll!

You ever have to fight the temptation to jump in & say, "Look, let's face it. Some people just do NOT have the brainpower & motor skills it takes to successfully participate in this hobby!" ?

Wel-l-l-ll, Momma always said if you can't say something nice about som.......ARE YOU FREAKIN' KIDDING ME?!!?!?

[Sorry guys....he's just too much]
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Aug 30, 2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:21 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,242 Posts
spent some time today tidying up the moa, got rid of the white tape on wings which is always flapping around in flight and used good old celotape instaed, painted wing tips and put some red electrical tape on skid as that was getting scuffed up through celotape.
She looks better for it and hopefully tomoz will be able to test fly her again lol.

Tested my idea of using single cell lipo for rx on dlg by using it to power rx on my epp 3d plane and seemed to work ok, only tested for 20 mins though as it was getting dark but that used only 72mah and I have 650mah, 1000mah and 1200mah batts each weighing less that a 300mah nimh which will fly my dlg for 2 hours but takes ages to charge so even if I only use 30% to keep volts up I will be better off and can use regular servos with no regulator and have fast charging.
I was suprised that my ge power lipos still work fine after being stored fully charged for well over a year without any use since I dont fly 3d any more really but they gave same performance and flight time as b4 and I did not even charge them b4 flying, just checked voltages.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 06:53 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield View Post
spent some time today tidying up the moa, got rid of the white tape on wings which is always flapping around in flight ...
Yeah, THAT!
Mine's like that too, & figured most everyone's must be likewise. I'd been meaning to ask has anyone found a solution other'n complete replacement. I've re-pressed mine down a dozen times but, you know how that turns out.
I don't wanta put a clear over it & leave ugly wires shining at the world below, & thought to replace with (white) bandage tape. Downside to that, tho, is it's cloth-like & will naturally pick up dirt stains like a magnet. Have looked for some white vinyl, like electrical, in local shops to no avail....hate to web-order it cuz shipping'd cost 3 times the roll price. For now it's looking like the bandage stuff, expecting semi-frequent refresh. Then again, everyone knows you should replace bandages frequently, right?

Anyone got better idea?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:26 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,242 Posts
White electrical tape would be easiest, but I did not have any either and it dont stick as well as good old celotape anyway, I can hardly see the wires in all honesty and it looks better then the white tape flapping around.
I suppose you could get some white paint and paint the bits of wire showing and then celotape over the top but I could not be bothered lol, maybe next time.
I have even lightly sanded the tape and then painted but that was for a colour where I needed the tape for strength as well as to cover wires.
Had test flight this morn and everything stayed on, can just see the servos and extention connectors in wing but not wires, wing tips look good in air and help a bit to see as well, had a 50 min flight on one battery and then went home as had things to do.

Tested the one cell lipo for rx again but this time started test with the voltage at 3.85v to see if it will still work and it did just fine not a single glitch and thats using 4 hxt900 which draw more current then most.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:39 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Yeah, THAT!
Mine's like that too, & figured most everyone's must be likewise. I'd been meaning to ask has anyone found a solution other'n complete replacement. I've re-pressed mine down a dozen times but, you know how that turns out.
I don't wanta put a clear over it & leave ugly wires shining at the world below, & thought to replace with (white) bandage tape. Downside to that, tho, is it's cloth-like & will naturally pick up dirt stains like a magnet. Have looked for some white vinyl, like electrical, in local shops to no avail....hate to web-order it cuz shipping'd cost 3 times the roll price. For now it's looking like the bandage stuff, expecting semi-frequent refresh. Then again, everyone knows you should replace bandages frequently, right?

Anyone got better idea?
This good stuff works great!
http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...odID=HANU80000

I have used it on a couple of foamies. It sticks and stays stuck if you first wipe the foam down well with alcohol (not rubbing alcohol which has a bit of oily something in it to keep it from drying the skin).

Gord
Last edited by Gordks; Aug 31, 2012 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Too many signitures..