SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 14, 2012, 07:53 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
That really is pretty much normal. And I have heard it said more than once that that is pretty much normal for gliders (thermal) in general. I mixed in some down elevator on the throttle channel and it makes things a lot simpler. But it takes a while to get the percentage correct. Too much and it just won't climb at all!

Gord
Hi Gord;
You posted while I was composing that last -- good timing! I forgot to tell that, to address the 'excess climb' I also mixed in a 20% down-elevator with throttle thruout its whole range -- the more throttle, the more down elevator. I also had to re-center the elevator's initial point and, no fear of not enough climb as, at any point on the throttle with elevator mix 'doing its thing', I have plenty of throw I can add up (or down) with the stick. The 20% is for starters - static tested & looks good.

That's about as far as I'm gonna go for now except for possible tweaking of what I've got in the DX6i now. I found a used JR X9303-24 Sailplane version Tx and it's on the way here as of tomorrow morn, & from what I've read, programming will be Sky's The Limit on that one! You all realize of course this'll mean something like the hurricane season starting about 2 months early & prolly a record-breaking number of 'em too, don'tcha?
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:04 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Back again....

OK, Gord....for the 3s 2200mAh 30c LiPo weighing 195g, front of pack positioned aft of the cockpit opening (floor mark) @ 30mm, best balance w/o ballast weighting, the CoG for me was at 68mm behind LE.

While I had the measuring tools out....'Dry' weight's coming in at 760g, so with the 190-200g LiPo's I'm running, AUW's in the 950-960g range. Again, this w/ no ballast 'steel'.

Next series of measures gave rise to a question for the long-time owners. I did a thread search for "throws", most hits referred to launching, maybe 3 referred to control surfaces which was what I was looking for....but held no specifics. A couple mention setting theirs up "according to specifications" but I've seen no throw specs in either the 'manual' nor here. Could someone please direct me to where those references can be found?

FTR, my measures were:
On elevator I'm getting +13 & -9 from center, & on rudder I'm getting 10 right & 15 left.
I can see why the difference - I'm getting flexing of the pushrod between tube exit & control horns. I suspect there's also some flexing inside the fuse aft of the servo arms as I can see a little as they're in pushing phase.

The rudder's not such a concern as I'm not using full throws in flight anyway, but I'd like to firm 'em up just the same. Is this something that's been addressed somewhere in the thread?

What kind've throws are you guys getting?
I set the rudder up for absolutely all the throw I could get in both directions. I used the second hole from the end of the horns on the tail and the second from the bottom of the aileron horns. Pretty much all I can get at the transmitter. Ailerons and elevator at 125% on high rate and 80% on low rate. No dual rate on the rudder, 125% for both high and low.

I did put 50% down to up differential on the ailerons and 60% expo on elevator and rudder with very little on the ailerons because they are so ineffective to begin with.

Not saying this the the way to do it but that is what I wound up with. I think I started with this post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=489

Did this thing come with instructions? I can't find them if it did. I did download a manual for the Art-Tech Minimoa which is the same plane, but it doesn't give any throws and shows 54mm as the CG which almost everyone thinks is way to far forward.

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Aug 16, 2012, 03:10 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,539 Posts
No instructions with -- absolutely nil. I got both copies I have from the Files tab on the HK advert page beside Reviews & Discussions tab. Two forms; one with Art-Tech & logo on the cover page, the other with Hobby King & no mention of Art-Tech (go figure ha ha ha ha haaaa) -- & tho they differ slightly after a point, no sign of throw specs in either that I found. I checked both before asking....and like you, found only the CG at 54mm shown.

Addendum:
BTW Gords, I really don't like the design decals on that Art-Tech cover you posted there. Don't know what I'd have done with that ugly upward stripe midway of the tail boom, but that's not the bad part. For some reason when I see the nose treatment, all I can think of it is it looks like it's wearing a clown's or 'wax lips'.
Also btw, the very first thing I did while unpacking/inspecting the parts was rip the H.KING stickers off the rudder. Improved the looks 300%.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Aug 16, 2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:26 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,539 Posts
The X9303-24 arrived today - WOOHOOOO! It's like Christmas in August!!
Along with its 200+ page owner's manual! I got on the phone with the former owner & we talked an hour & 47 minutes "going over the basics". Ohhh MAN.....is this gonna be some learning curve!

I'm right now tryin' to figure how to get it to make coffee & English muffins in the morning. Can't find the programming for marmalade, tho.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:07 AM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
The X9303-24 arrived today - WOOHOOOO! It's like Christmas in August!!
Along with its 200+ page owner's manual! I got on the phone with the former owner & we talked an hour & 47 minutes "going over the basics". Ohhh MAN.....is this gonna be some learning curve!

I'm right now tryin' to figure how to get it to make coffee & English muffins in the morning. Can't find the programming for marmalade, tho.
That is one darn nice transmitter. Wish I had one or the 9503, but most of my gear is Hitec so unless I run out of models in the DX6i, I don't think I will have much of an excuse for getting one.

I agree completely on the art work on the Art-Tech version of the MiniMoa. Other than the red streaks on the wings, it turns me off. I do like those streaks on the wings though!
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Aug 18, 2012, 06:53 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
That is one darn nice transmitter. Wish I had one or the 9503, but most of my gear is Hitec so unless I run out of models in the DX6i, I don't think I will have much of an excuse for getting one.

I agree completely on the art work on the Art-Tech version of the MiniMoa. Other than the red streaks on the wings, it turns me off. I do like those streaks on the wings though!
That's the exact reason the 9303 became available - its owner upgraded to a 9503. I was really lucky - it was "sold" but the buyer wonked out & I just happened to refresh the screen just after he re-posted it. I knew the price looked good, even tho it's normally pretty 'way out of my league', by selling my DS6i all it took was an additional amount I'd spent on the 6 to begin with, so took a stab. The guy was both generous, and in a charitable mood I guess, & he really worked with me, plus wound up throwing in the freight for free, and insured it for whole value without my asking....tho that was as much for his protection as mine. What made it especially desirable was another friend who's been RCing for over 50 years & is big on gliders, who advised me (I's checkiing it out 'cuz it almost seemed one of those 'too good to be true' deals ) this was the Sailplane model, somewhat rare & highly desirable. That made it just too good to pass up! *LOL*

Down side of it tho, I'm gonna have to hang onto my '6' for awhile -- ie the Minimoa's programming is in it & another I've been working on -- until I can get some 9303 "larnin'" in my head. Man, you go into the menu(S) on this thing you can get lost in a hurry! He told me to expect that, but said the thing's amazingly intuitive & since with many 'mistakes' it won't let you make, there'll quickly come a point where you'll "get it" & everything suddenly snaps into place. (As I like to describe it, "The li'l light bulb comes on") Another thing too, even with all his experience there's many areas it's got capabilities he said he never even used - even tho he flies those fast 'full house' gliders. So, it's not like I'll have to learn the whole thing right away - know'm sayin'?

Well, lemme cut this 'romance novel' off before I start boring people (if I haven't already) Besides, after I finish making the rounds here @ RCG I've got a few loose ends to tie up gettin' ready for tomorrow's club session & another round with the "Mm". OH...btw I've named her 'Shiny Girl' *
Take care &....
Clear Skies!
~S*H

* Give a listen: Shiny Girl
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2012, 07:56 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,539 Posts
Tell ya what I'm gonna do.......

I'm gonna let you guys pick the type style for my Minimoa's nickname.
Hmmmm...I thought there was a button to include a poll in a post but don't see it. Oh well......just pick a number & tell me which you like. I might do the lettering in red to match the trim, or just leave black so it'll show better - haven't decided.
Go ahead & pick a 1st & 2nd choice - not expecting a landslide of a voter turnout *LOL* & you can make your vote count. I'll close the poll.....say, Wednesday.
Thanx for your participation -- have at it!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2012, 03:41 AM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,094 Posts
A bit difficult to explain with my poor English but: When I land my Mini. The wing often pops out of the two holes behind the wing. I had to loosen the screws, and put it back again. Maybe the whole system is a bit loose after some harder ladings?
Are there someone who had the similar experience, and who had found a solution for this minor, but irritable problem? This is not happen after hard landing, but almost every time I land on the grass. I had to put the wing back on place again.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Aug 19, 2012, 04:04 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,539 Posts
I could see where it would be possible Arne - but I don't have enough use on mine (only 4 flights now) to have experienced that. Something I was planning to do anyway I think would help with wng retention as well as mount strengthening - add a plywood floor epoxied in place with a couple of blind nuts and utilize the 2 rear holes in the red wing-joiner plate.
Four heads are better than two, I have heard.

And for the record - your English is better than a lot of English speakers I know!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Aug 19, 2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 04:19 AM
I am a Helicolic! Citizen#207
Redmond, WA
Joined Aug 2010
49 Posts
Quote:
I could see where it would be possible Arne - but I don't have enough use on mine (only 4 flights now) to have experienced that. Something I was planning to do anyway I think would help with wng retention as well as mount strengthening - add a plywood floor epoxied in place with a couple of blind nuts and utilize the 2 rear holes in the red wing-joiner plate.
Four heads are better than two, I have heard.
Did quite the same thing at the end. Added an about 1.5" wide carbon fiber piece across the fuse with epoxy just under those 2 rear holes, drilled through right under the holes and epoxied 2 nuts under the CF. You're right, 4 is better then 2 . Since done this, the wings hold beautifully.
Tomy. is offline Find More Posts by Tomy.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:28 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy. View Post
Did quite the same thing at the end. Added an about 1.5" wide carbon fiber piece across the fuse with epoxy just under those 2 rear holes, drilled through right under the holes and epoxied 2 nuts under the CF. You're right, 4 is better then 2 . Since done this, the wings hold beautifully.
Kewl! Have you pulled any hi-G stunts with it Tomy?
CF eh? Hmmmm....now that's a thought. I bought the hardware, tho had to get SAE rather than Metric to get screws that are long enough (at Lowe's). Got a small bag of #8x3" were closest, too long but will cut 'em down no problem. One problem tho is, the 'flange' around the Blind Nut ('T-nut' in some circles) makes it stand away from the side walls a bit too far so, gonna have to cut off a flat 'side' so they'll line up under the joiner plate holes.

What kind of CF piece did you use, like a 'plank' or something? Y'know, sitting here now & considering the expense I think I'll go ahead & use wood. Plus I've already got that & wouldn't have to order the CF & wait.

Was looking forward to getting some more time on the Mm this afternoon, but see now the forecast took a drastic turn last night, & showing chance of rain's going from 34% before noon & shooting up to 70% chance by 3pm, our normal meeting time. Yesterday the forecast for today was showing 18% & only 3mph winds. Dangit, I should'a gone yesterday! Crap!!

Addendum: Well, I know what brought it. The new JR X9303 came in Friday. It's penance time.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:23 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,539 Posts
Ohhh yeah....before I forget it - again - been meaning to ask. Concerning the Minimoa's "pitchiness" -- has anyone considered adding a gyro to help control this?
Thoughts?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:29 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,448 Posts
I thought about putting something like as3x or hk's cheap version, it would certainly make her more stable in the wind!
But I probably wont because the way a glider pitches and rolls is a good indicator of lift and if it does not react naturally how will I find lift unless I fly right into it and see the plane go up.
And its pitchiness with power on is easily sorted with down mix on elev-just gotta watch out for the nose dive then when power is first applied.
Had some flyable weather today but did not get round flying moa as I was busy with blaster again-managed many 3 min flights and a couple of 9 min ones.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Aug 20, 2012, 02:52 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,094 Posts
Good idea! four screws are better than two! Thanks!
Old Aug 20, 2012, 03:00 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,094 Posts
Today it's school start in Norway. And the Summer is officially gone. I remember I read in Quiet Flight and Electronic International in June:
"Fingers Crossed!.
I am sure we all thoroughly appreciated one of the warmest sunniest, sunniest spell of April weather we had in many years.It was a delight to take out some of my old Thermal soarers, and finally find good rising air. Is it to much to ask for an equally good summer.....?"
Editor of Quiet & Electric flight.
It was apparently to much to ask for Mr. Scott! Lets hope for a little Indian Summer, and some nice soaring days, on this side of the pond.