SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 01, 2012, 11:44 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,680 Posts
New Minimoa owner

Hi all;
I've had my eye on an Art-Tech Minimoa for some time as I'm a long-time Habicht fan & think they're just a beautiful pair of birds. I was planning to buy one in September but have been sitting here watching the HK-USA inventory get lower & lower day by day & finally I couldn't stand it any longer & pulled the trigger. I honestly think I might've got the last one in stock! *LOL*

Anyway, it arrived yesterday and for the record there was no visible nor concealed damage - I've noted some comments in this thread about wing damage from transits.

While doing the receipt inspection, one of the first things out of the package was kind've disconcerting, given what the plane is, in form of a pair of surface-rusted chunks of steel weighing 63 & 64 grams respectively, or ~4oz collectively. Being bagged, I'm pretty sure they weren't just surplus floor sweepings from a disgruntled factory employee just lashing out, but after downloading the Owner's Manual & giving it the once-thru, tho the build looks basically straightforward I saw no mention of weights.

And that's just a long set-up for a short request -- would someone kindly fill me in on what they're all about, where they go & why & all that? Appreciate it!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 05:21 PM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,095 Posts
Nose weights.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Aug 01, 2012, 06:33 PM
Never stop being a kid.
United States, CO, Manitou Springs
Joined Jan 2012
543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArneHu View Post
Nose weights.
Yes, they're ballast, but were added to the kit as an afterthought, and there's no particularly good place to mount them that doesn't interfere with battery placement.

I ended up gluing just one of them lengthwise to the bottom surface of the tab/tongue at the front of the canopy. This gave an acceptable C.G. with a 1500mAh 3S battery all the way forward, but significantly behind the recommended C.G. of 54mm from the L.E.

But if you read back a few posts, you'll see that the recommended C.G. helps keep the nose down under power, but is a little forward of ideal for best gliding/soaring.
BrundleFlyBy is offline Find More Posts by BrundleFlyBy
Old Aug 01, 2012, 07:55 PM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Feb 2008
137 Posts
Yep SH, like they said. Nose weight. With that short nose it takes some weight to balance it out. I've been flying with both of them up there to get the recommended CG with an 1800mAhr battery. I've been thinking of trying with just one but haven't gotten around to it yet.
bamoore01 is online now Find More Posts by bamoore01
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:16 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,680 Posts
Thanx guys. I've only unboxed & haven't started actually fitting things yet but, it would seem instead of dead weight(s) you could add weight merely by using a larger LiPo. Tell me (pre-warn me) what I'm up against with that, if you don't mind.

Also, has there been any content on flaps in these previous pages? Inboard wing 'rise' section seems the logical place, but the only pic I've seen with what appears to be flaps deployed is this somewhat distant shot, & I thought these look kind've smallish:
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2012, 11:45 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
820 Posts
Next Plane

Hi all,

Just checking in after a busy week on the business side. I closed a deal I was working on for four months, paid a bunch of bills, and have been busy ordering RC stuff. The wife doesn't mind as I gave her a pile of money too.

I decided to opt for the Airfield ASW-28 from Banana Hobby as a new glider. I will keep it fairly stock but add flaps and some polyacrylic to reduce surface drag and stiffen the airframe. Also will paint wing tips and rudder red just because I like that color combination. This bird has a 2.3m wingspan and looks TOTALLY AWESOME.

I am delighted to read all the flight reports posted. You guys are tearing up the sky!!!

All the best, Jackson
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Old Aug 01, 2012, 11:49 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
820 Posts
Orange Receivers

Have decided that Orange 9 channel are voodoo cursed. Lost the Fox to a gremlin in the OR-9. Also a P-40 and almost an Extra 300.

I have had good luck with the Orange 6, which is ironic as it seems like it is not nearly the Rx as the 9.

I am going to try the new Orange 7 channel as it has excellent reviews.

Regards,

Jackson
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Old Aug 02, 2012, 03:02 AM
Never stop being a kid.
Joined Jan 2012
543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Thanx guys. I've only unboxed & haven't started actually fitting things yet but, it would seem instead of dead weight(s) you could add weight merely by using a larger LiPo. Tell me (pre-warn me) what I'm up against with that, if you don't mind.

Also, has there been any content on flaps in these previous pages? Inboard wing 'rise' section seems the logical place, but the only pic I've seen with what appears to be flaps deployed is this somewhat distant shot, & I thought these look kind've smallish:
The advantage of "dead" weight is that it's generally easier to concentrate it where you need it, taking advantage of a greater moment arm to get balanced with less added weight. To balance the 'moa at the recommended C.G. will take more battery capacity than you'll usually need in good soaring conditions, and capacity that you don't use is still "dead" weight.

But it's a viable option, and maybe a good way to go if you expect to be flying a lot in poor lift conditions, and using a lot of motor. You'll likely need something in excess of a 2400mAh 3S to get a comfortable C.G. for first flights. To get the recommended C.G. will take 2650mAh or more, based on what others have reported.

I don't think I've actually seen anyone implement flaps on the Art-Tech 'moa, though it's been discussed recently.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:51 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrundleFlyBy View Post
The advantage of "dead" weight ...
...I don't think I've actually seen anyone implement flaps on the Art-Tech 'moa, though it's been discussed recently.
Thanks BFB -- I'll look back for it. I usually 'do my homework' & read thru a thread rather than just jump in & start asking questions, but in this case I'm kind've on a build deadline. I do appreciate y'alls patience with me.

Meanwhile, "back at the ranch" ()....found a curiosity:
Towards eventually finding a pilot figure to use, I was checking the scale of this Minimoa by Art-Tech.
Against the Gö3 original, by the wingspan it's 1:8.5, but its length is ~1:7.

Oops?!?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2012, 01:17 PM
Never stop being a kid.
Joined Jan 2012
543 Posts
Yes, I've noticed that the full scale design and many larger scale models appear to have a shorter fuselage in proportion to the wing. I'm not sure where all the difference is, but it's a good bet they made the nose longer to help achieve a flyable C.G.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 04:12 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,680 Posts
Hmmmmm. And yet, how often do we get that without some kind of struggle? *LOL*
Would be interesting to get to pick the brain of some of these model engineers, re replicating various scale aircraft.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:19 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post

Hi Starhopper! If you look real close, that isn't a flap. It's a spoiler, or air brake - not too sure what the correct term is, and there is one above the wing as well as below.

* Just found this photo of a similar model closer up.

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Last edited by Gordks; Aug 02, 2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 11:40 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,680 Posts
Well Hell's a swelterin' Gords! Good to see your ol' carcass over here. If I'd a-known, I might've bought my 'moa sooner! *LOL*

And ahhh so, & great eye! That's what it is, indeed! Ironically, I've seen those very kind of brakes deployed on a Habicht (pretty sure it was). But flat cannot recall ever seeing anything pop up on a 'Mm' so, was at a complete loss of how to go.

I'm sore tempted to implant these I spied at the dreaded HK recently:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8576
as they're 'something different' but reportedly effective. Biggest drawback I foresee tho is the conflicts & hassle I'd face in decking 'er out with my beloved Hawk's 'Sunburst' hat, a la:
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2012, 06:19 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Stone View Post
Hi all,

Just checking in after a busy week on the business side. I closed a deal I was working on for four months, paid a bunch of bills, and have been busy ordering RC stuff. The wife doesn't mind as I gave her a pile of money too.

I decided to opt for the Airfield ASW-28 from Banana Hobby as a new glider. I will keep it fairly stock but add flaps and some polyacrylic to reduce surface drag and stiffen the airframe. Also will paint wing tips and rudder red just because I like that color combination. This bird has a 2.3m wingspan and looks TOTALLY AWESOME.

I am delighted to read all the flight reports posted. You guys are tearing up the sky!!!

All the best, Jackson
Oh geez Louise! I foolishly went and searched on ASW-28 and found this:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14418
There are a couple of videos on Youtube about whacking the nose off and putting a motor in it. And a post in the comments on the HK site offers help in putting a motor on top. I've never seen such a detailed pilot and cockpit! I think I'm in serious trouble again.

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Aug 03, 2012, 06:51 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,680 Posts
Yup - that's one of the ones I considered while I wasn't fully settled on the 'moa yet. You remember Ted from AJ's thread? He'd just picked up the ASK-23 & hadn't even built his Phoenix yet. *sigh* So many planes....so little time! *LOL*
BTW, one thing that scares me off these hi-T Tails is the reports I've seen where they're really touchy about being landed sideways....one misstep & that hi-hat tends to get snapped off. Lord knows we have enough problems with our predominant x-winds out at my club's field.....and there's just luckily, plenty of 'em without it to let that be a bother for a good while yet!
RCG Plus Member