HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:46 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,284 Posts
Back to wind and rain now, but the DLG from yesterday has left me very stiff and achy today so I think I will have to share my flying out between minimoa etc and just have one session on the DLG next time.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:34 AM
Re-kitting Expert
USA, CA, California City
Joined Jul 2009
164 Posts
I'm still debating whether to fly my Minimoa with the stock motor and ESC or save up and replace them first. When I purchased it I bought two 3S 200mAh LiPo packs for it. I've cut one prop down from 11" to 9.5", enlarged the prop openings in the spinner, drilled cooling holes in the backplate and cut an air exit in the bottom of the fuselage behind where the servos mount, despite all this I'm still hesitant to fly it on the stock setup. Heck, I've even debated getting a couple of NiMH packs for the darned thing!

Ah, well, at least it's not my only plane.
Tarasdad is offline Find More Posts by Tarasdad
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:42 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarasdad View Post
I'm still debating whether to fly my Minimoa with the stock motor and ESC or save up and replace them first. When I purchased it I bought two 3S 200mAh LiPo packs for it. I've cut one prop down from 11" to 9.5", enlarged the prop openings in the spinner, drilled cooling holes in the backplate and cut an air exit in the bottom of the fuselage behind where the servos mount, despite all this I'm still hesitant to fly it on the stock setup. Heck, I've even debated getting a couple of NiMH packs for the darned thing!

Ah, well, at least it's not my only plane.
, I hope yo mean 3s 2000mah lol, have you cut one blade down or a set? If you still have a 11" prop set you could get a nimh pack or even better make a 3 cell a123 lifepo4 2300mah pack like I did so you can charge in no time, I got mine from here: http://www.hobbydream.com/index.php?...d=a123&x=0&y=0 for $14 plus $6 post they do a built pack or I got 6 cells for $30 free post and made 2 packs.
Or you could just limit throttle setting and just fly it on lipos and see how hot it gets and if you can live with it carry on flying, if not I would definitely go the a123 route, I could not be happier with mine-no heat build up-long flight times-fast recharge-no need to replace motor and a battery that will last forever.
Let us know what you decide and how you get on.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:33 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarasdad View Post
...despite all this I'm still hesitant to fly it on the stock setup.
I highly recommend that you get out and fly it as is before making any further decisions. An unflown plane, especially one as nice a flier as the Minimoa, is just a loss. I suggest you use full throttle only for launch and initial climbout, then rachet back. Hopefully you will find it easy to nab thermals this time of year. Then you will be off to the races.

Good luck, please keep us posted.

Jackson
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Old Apr 21, 2012, 05:10 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,284 Posts
Just a work of warning if you use full throttle on your cut down prop, it will still draw more current then the 9.5 prop that came with mine as the pitch is 7 instead of 6 mine gets hot on 3 cell lipo so yours will get very hot and probably burn out very quickly so limiting your max throttle
is a good idea but not so much that you don't have enough power to climb out-it'll be a case of suck it and see!
It is also possible that you may have a different kv motor to mine so your results may be different anyway- you just have to get out and try it.
It really is a lovely plane and if there are thermals to be had then it is a waste to not be flying in them.
weather is rubbish here strong winds are from the north and gusty and turbulent and it keeps raining but then we are in april showers time so should not really expect anything else.
I have tried my little "bug" again yesterday even though the winds were rubbish just to get out and fly something-it's a tough little thing had plenty of rough landings, one nosed in and stuck like a dart into soft ground-no damage, it even got blown into football posts once and still no damage, a few close calls though when dogs went for it and I had to run and pick it up b4 the dog got there and a few times I had to catch it b4 other dogs did or they were definitely out of control and were intent on going for my plane. I guess its very tempting to a dog seeing me throwing something over and over again-making me think twice about getting more expensive DLG to fly in that field, at least with the powered ones I can just keep flying till the dogs are under control or out of the way. Catching it is so much fun though and it makes me think I might try catching my powered gliders next.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:15 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Nigel,

Flew DLG and Minimoa this afternoon with friends. Had good conditions and was able to thermal with both. Going to enter a DLG contest tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Jackson
Old Apr 22, 2012, 03:06 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,284 Posts
Good luck Jackson, a contest already!
Got up early this morn to try bug in still air and it is much nicer without the turbulent winds, 24 seconds flights if I give it a good dlg toss but the real fun is catching and throwing, I think conditions would have to be exceptionally good to get this to thermal.
Let us know how you get on with your dlg contest.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:08 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Nigel,

The DLG contest was held at a ranch up in the Colorado foothills. I took lots of pictures and will post a video slideshow soon.

I did very well considering I just started doing the DLG launching, flying and landing this past week. I did not crash my plane, although I did have a mid-air with my good friend Jens. We had to laugh because last year we purchased and built combat wings and spent weeks trying to hit each other without success. I also had some good flights, one of them up to about 500 feet. My DLG was just a tiny dot in the sky.

I also took the Minimoa and after the contest enjoyed flying it in the valley we were in. At one point I was thermalling with two DLGs. That was pretty cool. You will be interested to know that the overall thermalling performance of the Minimoa is quite similar to the DLGs.

Wishing you some great flying weather in the week to come.

Jackson
Old Apr 23, 2012, 02:03 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,284 Posts
Jackson,
Hope you did not do too much damage in your mid air, that sounds about right though, try and hit each other and you just cant do it!
Interesting that the minimoa will thermal similar to a dlg, I really thought the dlgs would blow it away being much lighter and being such precision builds and costing more too( I know the air does take any notice of how much the plane actually costs lol), but I suppose they are built strong in order to take a harsh launch without flexing or breaking and that is where the cost is.
If the minimoa can keep up with a dlg my asw28 would probably out thermal them!
I am beginning to wonder if a dlg would be much good down in my field as the "bug" really has not found much in the way of thermals even though I have spent quite some time trying,
I will wait til the winds are from the south to make my decision though cause I can never really find thermals with the others either the present conditions.
What were your impresions of the dlg, are they as much fun as people are saying?
Looking forward to seeing some pics and a video.
Happy flying,
Nigel.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:44 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Nigel,

I do think the DLGs are better performers. The Minimoa has more wing area, but a higher wing loading. The Minimoa can circle fairly tightly, but not as tight as the DLG. Still, the Minimoa is no slouch when it comes to thermalling, plus it looks great in the sky. Everybody is charmed by it's appearance.

DLG is fun. The challenge is being able to hand launch a plane, catch a thermal and stay up as long as you need to. In the competition it helps to be able to stay up from exactly 30 seconds to exactly three minutes depending on the task. You do not get additional points for staying up longer than necessary, so it is truly about being able to stay up a precise amount of time. The sport attracts a demographic of middle-aged guys, so I fit right in. The fun comes from the challenge of the activity combined with the camaraderie of doing it together.

Cheers,

Jackson
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:57 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,284 Posts
Right so its not just about staying up the longest then-interesting!
I will have to see if there are any dlg clubs nearby, I certainly have not heard of any in my immediate area anyway.
I may just get one anyway for the hell of it.
I've been reliably informed that the topsky2 is a good bet, but at over£200 for the kit I'm a bit reluctant.
http://www.sloughrc.com/default.asp?...ZZ-PPBINARYDLG
the above is £120 but I dont know much about it or how good it is.
WHich dlg have you got?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:52 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
DLGs are not cheap

Nigel,

The Topsky is a good entry-level DLG from what I have heard. I purchased a LightSpeed III kit that was partially completed with servos and one battery for US$500. A friend did most of the rest of the building because it is very precise stuff. I also had to purchase a receiver and two extra rx batteries. I am over $600 all-in. This is by far the most I have ever spent for a plane. It is also the nicest, high-tech plane I have with kevlar-covered foam wings and control surfaces, carbon-fiber boom, and carbon-fiber/fiberglass fuselage.

You may wish to stay with your existing fleet until a real bargain comes along.

Regards,

Jackson
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:29 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,284 Posts
Jackson,
Yes I think you might be right about waiting for a bargain, looking at the build for most dlg kits I think the precision required in the build might well test my skills to the limit too, and are not as bullet proof as I thought they might be either.
Maybe I will build a balsa dlg sometime, something like a mimi if a bargain does not present itself as I am not bothered about top performance I just want something that will work better then the bug.
Still waiting for some decent weather to test bug properly in thermals and I am missing flying my gliders with all this northerly wind and rain we are getting lately but I am sure I will get some good flying in this summer.
$600 dollars is quite a hefty price tag but what price can you put on having fun??!! I would be very upset though if my spektrum gear let me down on that one and totaled it!!
Happy flying
Nigel.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:21 PM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Feb 2008
134 Posts
I haven't had a chance to post but I got my new Minimoa last Friday in the mail. Ecxactly one week from order to door from the HK USA warehouse, not bad. Looked everything over real good. It was well packaged and without a problem. Now for the start of the mods. Motor, esc, maybe servos. We will see.

On the subject of weight. Everyone talks about this guy being tail heavy because it was originally designed for NiCd or NiM batteries. Has anyone tried lightening up the tail. I was thinking of skeletonizing the tail surfaces and recovering them with mylar. Because of the balance is way up front, it seems like each gram taken off the tail would be worth 10g (guessing without measureing) of weight that wouldn't have to be added in the nose. I'm not sure that I want to carve up a new pretty airplane like that but I was just thinking......
bamoore01 is online now Find More Posts by bamoore01
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:34 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,284 Posts
Bamoore, I dont think that the tail was very heavy to be honest and I'm not sure you would save much weight by the time you've hacked out some foam and then covered but I could be wrong and it might be worth a try if you could get some spare tail parts.
I think the fuse is fairly chunky too so you might want to hollow that out too.
But I think the weight problem comes from the very short nose requiring a lot of weight up front and the wing spar which is really very heavy compared to say a carbon spar.
Also the cog can be moved much further back then the recomended 54mm to 70-75mm with only throttle on torque problem which can be rectified with down elev mixing to throttle and turning and thermaling being improved so less nose weight is needed then.
I am quite happy with the way this flies on 2300mah a123 lifpo4 3cell packs and though it could definitely benefit from a bit of weight loss I consider that it is a model of an old timer and therefor do not expect it to perform as well as a modern glider.
Let us know if you decide to give it a go though, it would be very cool if you could lighten her up a bit and it would definitely improve thermal performance.