HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2010, 08:22 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
thanks for your help, just a quick couple of questions having never used this stuff

when you say Tape what sort and do i leave it on or take it off when the glue drys? and if i get excess do i sand it or cut it off?

also is this stuff called "Vice" what our US buddies call gorilla glue?

these wing tips look real delicate i think they will need to be looked after

thanks again for your help Chuck
Very similar to gorilla ,I just use masking tape and sometimes a plastic just to hold things together tight,after a couple of hours some glue may seep out but wait till hard then the little knobs can be picked of with your fingernails, and yes it can be sanded a heck of a lot easier than cyno'.
If you have some scrap wing covering use it to cover the underside of the tips ,I sand down the ridges first and use a low temp iron, it reinforces the tips.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:25 AM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
Ordered mine on 19 Aug from hobbyking and arrived today which is not bad.

I have two new 2,200mah 2 cell LiPos Turnigy nano-tech 25-50C. I guess the extra C rating will melt the motor mount. I'll do the modifications to the spinner to let more air in but I have some questions:

1. On the standard setup, I guess the 2,200mah 2 Cell is all right but is anyone using a 2,200mah 3 cell.

2. Do I need to bend up another bar for the rear wing joiner?

3. How does the spinner come off to check things? - It is obvious that you must lift it off with a screw driver but I do not want to force it just in case. It is quite tight.

Thanks - looks like a great glider.
I changed out my motor for a similar Turnigy Bell motor ...... still way too much power on 3 cells but throttle control and cooling vents make it viable ....

However, after reading your post I thought I would compare 3 cells versus 2 cells ....... I did two flights this morning ..... each flight lasted 60 minutes and consisted of true gliding and a good amount of motor on flying too .......

To be frank, the way I fly, I hardly noticed the difference between 2 and 3 cells ....... because of the difference in weight between 2 and 3 cells I linked a couple of 2 cell 2200 lipos I have with a parallel connector ..... I've just charged them back up ..... they both took approx 700 mAh for the 60 minute flight so I guess I could have been up for something approaching 3 hours if I wanted too ...... temp wise everything was stone cold compared to 3 cells ....

I would certainly give the 2 cells a go ..... just watch out for C of G .... I needed 2 x 2200 2 cells to match my normal 3 cell setup weight wise ......
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Aug 27, 2010, 11:15 AM
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined May 2008
1,939 Posts
Hi Hobie14,

Thanks for the write up... really useful.

A couple of questions:

How much throttle are you using when climbing ? (e.g 50%, 75%, etc...) was it the same when using the 2 cell batteries?

How hot is the motor / ESC with the 3 cell battery (even with your added ventilation mods).

Thanks

Toppers
Toppers is offline Find More Posts by Toppers
Old Aug 27, 2010, 01:13 PM
Joined Aug 2010
8 Posts
Hi all

I would like to know the comparison of this model to the easy fly ST330. Which do you guy suggest? which one is easy to fly and more forgiven. Is the current stock motor and propel is good enought or do we need to upgrade and if we do, what is the best motor and propel size that will fit this model? Thank You very much, I am very new to this hobby.
radian2010 is offline Find More Posts by radian2010
Old Aug 27, 2010, 01:39 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppers View Post
Hi Hobie14,

Thanks for the write up... really useful.

A couple of questions:

How much throttle are you using when climbing ? (e.g 50%, 75%, etc...) was it the same when using the 2 cell batteries?

How hot is the motor / ESC with the 3 cell battery (even with your added ventilation mods).

Thanks

Toppers
I would say absolutely 50% max throttle on the 3 cell and anything I wanted on the 2 cell ..... I really have a light thumb on the throttle when it comes to this plane ..... it's the way I like to fly it and if I get the conditions to simply glide more the better .... I'm quiet happy to gradually climb ...... if there's any decent lift around your going up pronto anyway .....

The 3 cell temps are fine now but I've done a good few ventilation mods to get there ..... they were way too hot .... that's for sure .....

two 1/2" holes on the side of the nose (info previously posted) .....

two extra 1/2" holes added on the side walls just forward of the servo bay .....

hole iin the nose cone and holes in the spinner disc ...... as previously posted by ??? ........

finally a scoop on the top of the nose just in front of the canopy screen as posted by ??? ..... I've used this idea before and it works great ....

I now have good thru flow front to back ......

On the 2 cell I've only flown it today (after all the mods) but the temps are low low ....... it's possible 2 cells may have been fine without the mods ..... it's worth doing some check flights ......

Now all this sounds a pain but in my opinion this model is worth the De-bugging .....
Old Aug 27, 2010, 11:35 PM
New to RC Flying
Pasir Ris, Singapore
Joined Jan 2008
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
yet inside one wing tip is completely broken off

this has happened while being packed not in transit

NOT HAPPY JASON!

on a good note it is a clean break and will glue straight back on
Well, on closer examination, that's where the reinforcing rod stops and the tips after that are subjected to flexing during carriage. You can insert some thin and short CF rods when gluing it back up.
Jack_Chen is offline Find More Posts by Jack_Chen
Old Aug 28, 2010, 12:54 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,347 Posts
Important

Finally got to maiden mine today it is a really good glider,
but more important was the fact I did some measurements with an Emeter the results for a 2200 3sp pack follow with some interesting results.
using the origonal prop with tips cut down to ~9''
12v@27.27Amps 303Watts Rpm 8655.and it did want to fly with the gods so ran at half throttle. back home I did some more tests
cut down prop to 8.5'' 11.35v @ 22.49A 255W rpm 8865
cut down prop to 8'' 11.37v @21.24A 241W rpm 9120.

Its no wonder things get hot with the origonal prop on 3sp after all it is only a 20Amp esc,
I will post in a few days the tests done with a alloy spinner hub fitted with some 8x6 graupner cam blades .
cheers Lez.
Last edited by olmod; Aug 28, 2010 at 06:43 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 07:18 AM
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined May 2008
1,939 Posts
AND the motor is rated for 80W !!
Toppers is offline Find More Posts by Toppers
Old Aug 28, 2010, 07:27 AM
Germany (Black Forest, Alps, Vosges)
Joined Dec 2009
60 Posts
Hello,

why they dont change the package in a suitable one? Im very disappointed.

Greets Christian
christianka6cr is offline Find More Posts by christianka6cr
Old Aug 28, 2010, 07:30 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,347 Posts
Did the package show external damage ?
Old Aug 28, 2010, 07:35 AM
Joined Dec 2009
60 Posts
No, it was just too small... They squeeze the plane in.
Last edited by christianka6cr; Aug 28, 2010 at 07:55 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 07:36 AM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianka6cr View Post
Hello,

why they dont change the package in a suitable one? Im very disappointed.

Greets Christian
Bummer man! that would peeve ya off

i'd be talking to Hobby King about that one

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Aug 28, 2010, 08:04 AM
Joined Dec 2009
60 Posts
I sent a mail to them. its include shipment ~100 and its rubbish... Hey, did they think im a millionaire?
Old Aug 28, 2010, 08:31 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianka6cr View Post
I sent a mail to them. its include shipment ~100 and its rubbish... Hey, did they think im a millionaire?
Could you ask if you could get it delivered to the German distribution centre ...... all it will take is a Hobby King guy to take one look at it and declare it essentially scraped and issue a replacement instruction to Head Office .........
Old Aug 28, 2010, 10:09 AM
Groundloop World Champion
USA, AZ, Glendale
Joined Jan 2002
1,178 Posts
If you monitor this post Hobby King, .... you better get your shipping done properly. I and I'm sure others won't buy until you do !!

Old_dude
old_dude is offline Find More Posts by old_dude