Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 26, 2003, 08:41 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,473 Posts
La Spitfire GWS Nouvell est arrive!

Just called in at the LHS to pick up an A-10 for youngleccy's birthday next week when what should I spy next to the counter but a pair of GWS Spitfires. Shhhhhhh keep it quiet, but that's what my boy is going to be receiving for his birthday.

It seems that J.Perkins have them listed at the moment and the LHS got a couple in for a look- one was on order and I snaffled the other.

I was a bit surprised that the kit was painted- dark green overall- and haven't really been able to have a proper look as Youngleccy will be in from school in a little while and it was necessary to clear some space in the kit cupboard to hide it until b-day. It';ll be a nice surprise for him- even better than the A-10.

Brian
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2003, 08:41 AM
Boise
Joined Sep 2002
984 Posts
Lucky kid!
flipnidaho is offline Find More Posts by flipnidaho
Old Jun 26, 2003, 09:54 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Congrts Brian, after fly GWS Spitfire, would you post your experience and what you feel!
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Jun 27, 2003, 06:32 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,473 Posts
GWS4CEO

Yes I'll certainly do that.

I've had a sneak peek at the box contents this morning, the components look to be very nicely done and I'm sure my boy will be delighted. I'll have to look at the possibility of retracts for this one I think.

Brian
Old Jun 27, 2003, 07:05 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
I wish J P did not forget to order our new micro retract!

GW-RG-MM RETRACTABLE MICRO LANDING GEAR
http://www.gws.com.tw/english/produc...gear_rg-mm.htm
Old Jun 27, 2003, 07:14 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,098 Posts
Why the French in the title of this thread? Trying to speak a "secret language" so Youngleccy won't figure out what's going on? Those new GWS retracts look much better than the earlier ones (and much better than the terrible Robart 123's). Can't wait to try a pair.

Neil
Neil Morse is offline Find More Posts by Neil Morse
Old Jun 27, 2003, 08:32 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
How much would you pay for that?

I will let you know later after your guessing!
Old Jul 07, 2003, 10:34 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,473 Posts
Nothing as devious as that Neil- just borrowing from the Beaujolais Nouveau phenomenon

My boy was delighted with his Spitfire, we did an assembly dry run yesterday and will start building this evening. Our pal Kev picked up the Bf109 on Saturday so these will both be kitted out with CSM Airwars systems for aerial combat. Adler Tag is scheduled for next weekend

Brian
Old Jul 07, 2003, 08:16 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Brian, show us some pics!

Best wish for sucessful flights. Enjoy GWS effert!
Old Aug 24, 2003, 11:39 PM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,473 Posts
Well after a bit of a wait, whilst we decided on the battery set up, Youngleccy's Spitfire had it's maiden flight yesterday in the idyllic surroundings of Shifnal MAC in rural Shropshire.

What can I say?

You only need to look at the pictures to see how delighted Tim is with his model. To me the fact that at 10 years old he can be flying his very own fully controllable Spitfire would have been beyond my wildest dreams when I was at his age. That was the stuff of comic books - UK readers will remember General Jumbo who controlled his vast miniature airforce, army and navy with a single transmitter consisting of a stick and a button .

I'll post some video of the maiden flight later on but the two stills here should give a flavour of what a success the Spitfire has been for this young lad.

Brian
Last edited by leccyflyer; Jan 07, 2012 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Image removed due to unwanted attention by internet stalkers
Old Aug 24, 2003, 11:44 PM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,473 Posts
You can't have an unoccupied "office" and the role of Squadron Leader was fulfilled by one of the little weightless foam pilots from Dave Banks. The gunsight is an absolutely necessary addition for peering through as well- it's a piece of folded acetate from a servo box and a sawn off plastic peg from a motor mount.
Last edited by leccyflyer; Jan 07, 2012 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Image removed due to unwanted attention by internet stalkers
Old Aug 25, 2003, 12:32 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,473 Posts
Mr Lin asked that I post my impressions of the Spitfire so here goes - vrooooooooooooooooooom .

Firstly the flying. The Spitfire is a nice flyer and looks superb in the air. Tim has relatively little aileron experience and mostly had no real problems with the Spitfire, apart from one instance where some intervention was needed by Dad on the buddy box. From a handlaunch the Spitfire gets away with no problem and once the batteries get working the power available gives a sprightly performance. Tim doesn't want to fly anything else now. It's a genuine parkflyer Spitfire suitable for pilots with some aileron experience- not a first model by any means, but pretty easy to fly.

The C of G needed quite a bit of ballast to achieve a correct position and the maiden flight showed that even slightly behind the recommended position could be a problem. That maiden was with the C of G correctly positioned at 60mm and subsequent flights were made after the addition of a bit more lead. In total some 45g of ballast were needed with the batteries which were used. The Spitfire has a very short nose and small tail surfaces and the additional paint, though applied thinly may contribute to this, and some other small modifications should also be noted, although the tailwheel and mainwheels were ommitted. There must be some more useful way to apply that 45g- perhaps retracts could use a little of it. The extra ballast weight isn't a problem to the flying.

The kit went together in a reasonably straightforward manner. I would have preferred an unpainted one- but I prefer to fill the small moulding marks and remove the dimples so had to sand the foam anyway. The paint removal took a little while but was worth it- for me anyway. When completed the model was airbrushed with Tamiya acrylics, thinned by about 50% and applied in several dry mist coats. The compressor broke down half way through and the topsides were completed with similarly thinned paint with a brush as a single coat.

A couple of things came to light in building the kit - firstly there are a couple of errors in the very nicely illustrated instructions that could trap the unwary. Firstly the measurement of the fitting screw for the 300C motor mount is given as 10mm. This should actually be 20mm, with the stick inserted all the way into the motor mount and the motor correctly positioned.

The illustration showing the fitting of the wing bolt reinforcing plate also seems to be incorrect. The hole in the moulded plastic piece is not central and if fitted as shown in the photographs this puts the position of the mounting bolt hole further foward than it should be. I had to re-do this step, removing the plate and rotating it through 180 degrees. If I'd have measured first I wouldn't have made the mistake, but I just weighed it up from the photos without looking at the fuselage.

I modified the battery compartment, cutting out foam at the bottom of the compartment and taking a thin shaving off the top behind the motor stick, to allow for fitting a 7 cell KAN 950 pack. The compartment was also made so it would fit a 2s2p pack of ETECH 1200 LiPo cells. I doubt that our model could be made to balance with the latter pack unless some serious "church roof" were also employed for ballast.

I replaced the dowel spar with a carbon tube the same diameter and fixed in the slot with a smear of epoxy. A sliver of depron was placed in the slot and faired in with lightweight spackle. The spackle was also used to fill the moulding holes. I used small "hairy" mylar hinges for all control surface hinges fitted with odourless CA.

For the control runs I replaced the wire pushrods with carbon rod the same diameter, fitting the small Multiplex EZ-connectors and replaced the aileron pushrods with some threaded wire ones with mini clevises to allow for adjustment. Rather than just use the supplied servo tape for the rudder and elevator servos a thin sliver of 1/16th ply was used to make servo rails.

The moulded plastic parts could really use a deeper scribed line to mark the edge of the part and they took a bit of trimming to get right. Of course it was pointed out at the field that the early mark of Spitfire represented by the three stack exhausts didn't have two underwing radiators, but bearing in mind the comments I'd read on the effects of just a sticker on the P-51 flight I didn't want to leave one radiator off and possibly unbalance the wing.

When we tested the motor, albeit on 8 cells, it drew a whopping 18 amps, and with three servos the best ESC I had available for the job was a Schulze 18BE. The plug on the motor was switched for the small Farnell connectors which I use on small models. I used a GWS Naro receiver and these two components were fitted as far forward as possible.

I added a pilot figure as described above and the canopy was retained with RC Modeler's glue (RC-56) - I rather like the neat hatch arrangment with magnet and peg fittings.

When it came to paint the completed model I found that I couldn't match up the three views in the instruction illustrations with the model. The position of the brown and green bits seems to be different on the plan view and side views. In the end I resorted to looking it up in a book, but it had me flummoxed for a moment. After painting I put some dummy panel lines on with a propelling pencil and a few minimal paint details, plus some little squares of painted self-adhesive film to simulate the gun ports.

The adhesion of the stickers to the Tamiya paint isn't brilliant and they are very glossy - some nice matt waterslides would have been very nice, but I appreciate it's 2003 and not 1973. However there are no indications of where to fit the large number of small decals in the instructions- as these were all very shiny I just left almost all of them off.

All in all we're both delighted with the Spitfire. I'm starting the Bf109 straight away . With the longer nose I'm hoping not to have to add the ballast to this one, however to anyone reading this I would say that it is vastly more important to add the ballast to get the C of G correct than to try to skimp on the weight and fly the model tail heavy. A second Spitfire maidened on the same day looked more tail heavy and proved to be a quite a handful- there is ample power available with the stock motor to carry the extra weight needed.

Brian
Old Aug 25, 2003, 01:17 AM
UK - in the middle somewhere
Joined May 2002
466 Posts
Brian,

Very nice review - the Spitfire is now on my list!

Quote "For the control runs I replaced the wire pushrods with carbon rod the same diameter, fitting the small Multiplex EZ-connectors and replaced the aileron pushrods with some threaded wire ones with mini clevises "

Where did you get these? I much prefer to use threaded clevises but have had trouble finding them - but then, I live in the wilds of Worcestershire...

Thanks and cheers

Ratty
Hangar Rat is offline Find More Posts by Hangar Rat
Old Aug 25, 2003, 01:42 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,473 Posts
Ratty

These are about the smallest cutest clevises I've seen. I took them off a Kyosho F-16 because they were not up to the job there and I haven't seen this type, which have a removeable pin, anywhere else. With a Z-bend and the rubber grommets as supplied in the kit on the other end of the pushrod it makes a nice slop-free and easily adjustable linkage without having to have the extra V-bend in there. It's just a matter of personal preference.

Brian
Old Aug 25, 2003, 01:47 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,473 Posts
The mini-Ez connector are part #703455 "Gestangeanschluss" and should be available from any Multiplex stockist - you could try West London Models or Punctillo or Mega Models in Bolton, they all stock plenty of Multiplex gear, or should be available to order from any model shop with a Flair account.

Heres what they look like on the model- they make for a very easy set-up for the linkage and are perfectly usuable on small models and parkflyers, though I wouldn't trust the grub screw fitting on larger models.

Brian