SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 07, 2010, 08:54 AM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,158 Posts
Quote: "Researchers have determined that thinking about God can help relieve anxiety associated with making mistakes. However, the finding only holds for people who believe in a God."

No surprise to such a conclusion. That humans enjoy mechanisms to deal with their failings is evident in early development, where a two year old seeks to avoid accounting his actions by putting the blame on a sibling.
AA5BY is offline Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2010, 09:00 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,699 Posts
This is not unexpected at all to me. It's a huge responsibility to hold that you, the small minority, have the answers to all of this. Kind of like asserting that there is no intelligent life on other planets because we have no tangible proof.
bildo baggins is online now Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Aug 07, 2010, 09:03 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bildo baggins View Post
This is not unexpected at all to me. It's a huge responsibility to hold that you, the small minority, have the answers to all of this. Kind of like asserting that there is no intelligent life on other planets because we have no tangible proof.
That can lead you into a quagmire as well because the other side of that argument is: "Even though we can't find intelligent life on other planets, we still KNOW that there is, even without tangible proof".

That's how the whole global warming scam got started.
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Aug 07, 2010, 09:13 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micronut View Post
I think arbilab said it best.

Organized religion is a killer...literally.
I have my own inner peace and its not something I got from an old fictional book or some guys interpretation of it.

Don't get me wrong...said fictitious book is a good one, but it has caused much more death and misery than any other due to misinterpretation.

It is a guide to better living, not to be taken literally. My God tells me so.
This is like saying guns kill people. Neither guns nor Bibles kill people......people kill people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer View Post
I can't speak for anyone else, and am not actually an atheist, but that woul seem to be just another example of believers projecting notions onto non-believers that are pure nonsense. We've seen it on here many times, where believers will accuse non-believers of "hating God". It's a ludicrous notion to ascribe hate for something that the target of that comment does not have any belief in.

As for stress, the frequent exhibition of believers hoping for, indeed celebrating, harsh judgement and eternal fire for non-believers, that they view as opponents in the discussions here, demonstrate beyond any doubt who is actually stressed. The discredited and debunked "big stick" of Pascal's Wager is wielded with monotonous regularity and, of course is laughed off as a hollow threat.

Seriously, we're talking here of otherwise cogent adults who, in the 21st century, literally believe in demons, spirits and the like, roaming the earth. These beliefs are largely indistinguishable from belief in fairies, elves and leprechauns. No wonder they're stressed out.
Spoken like a true politician. An atheist is honest and an agnostic cannot get off the fence and is neither hot nor cold.
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Aug 07, 2010, 09:20 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflight View Post
That can lead you into a quagmire as well because the other side of that argument is: "Even though we can't find intelligent life on other planets, we still KNOW that there is, even without tangible proof".

That's how the whole global warming scam got started.
That is why I say "I don't know...but it's possible"

1) Skepticism of unsupported claims
2) Combination of an open mind with critical thinking
10) Makes no claim for absolute or certain knowledge
Last edited by bildo baggins; Aug 07, 2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old Aug 07, 2010, 09:30 AM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,158 Posts
Quote: " An atheist is honest and an agnostic cannot get off the fence and is neither hot nor cold."

I'm not sure a fair characterization given the ambiguity of definitions that exist.

Currently an atheist is defined as someone who believes there is no god. However, most atheist would define themselves as someone who has no belief in a god.

The current definition puts one at odds with religionists, whereas the preferred self definition does not.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2010, 09:42 AM
dont play with rc anymore
United States, MO, St Joseph
Joined Feb 2005
1,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcJ View Post
This is like saying guns kill people. Neither guns nor Bibles kill people......people kill people.
Actually, I called organized religion(people) a killer.

I also said that peoples misinterpretation of the book has caused misery and death, not the book itself. It would have to be pretty big and swung really hard.
micronut is offline Find More Posts by micronut
Old Aug 07, 2010, 09:44 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,699 Posts
Quote:

I also said that peoples misinterpretation of the book has caused misery and death, not the book itself. It would have to be pretty big and swung really hard.

At the same time religion saves many lives. I would say a lot more than it destroys. Nothing is perfect.

Although, as stated here previously, I do not agree with organized religion in toto, I do believe it has a place and is absolutely beneficial
Old Aug 07, 2010, 10:07 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
Joined Mar 2003
5,842 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for the interpretation.....unfortunately it has been ill represented by the world for a long, long time.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2010, 10:08 AM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,158 Posts
As an atheist, I've little doubt that religion provides benefits. A community, a set of beliefs, and emotional gratifications. No doubt there are those who need those qualities and find life to be better with them.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2010, 10:08 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
Joined Mar 2003
5,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bildo baggins View Post
At the same time religion saves many lives. I would say a lot more than it destroys. Nothing is perfect.

Although, as stated here previously, I do not agree with organized religion in toto, I do believe it has a place and is absolutely beneficial
Organized religion like our recent administration.......all depends on who is leading it. It should always be HE who is leading it and and if HE WAS leading, problems would solve themselves.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2010, 11:25 AM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buran View Post
Lets see, a person who believes in god is content; OK. I've always been told there is no man without sin. It would seem to me that christians would be stressing out and anxious about sinning while heaven slips away. If I were a christian, I'd be a mess.
I haven't read all the posts, so this might be a repeat.

Yes, all men are sinners. But, by accepting Jesus Christ as a personal Savior, the sins are forgiven and forgotten by God. Therefore, no stress and no anxiety. In other words . . . contentment.
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old Aug 07, 2010, 11:28 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper Pilot View Post
I haven't read all the posts, so this might be a repeat.

Yes, all men are sinners. But, by accepting Jesus Christ as a personal Savior, the sins are forgiven and forgotten by God. Therefore, no stress and no anxiety. In other words . . . contentment.
Or... forgive them yourself... No stress and no anxiety! (and you are available 24/7)
Norman Adlam is online now Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Aug 07, 2010, 11:32 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
Joined Mar 2003
5,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam View Post
Or... forgive them yourself... No stress and no anxiety! (and you are available 24/7)
I also have a few bridges and some property that I will sell you. Or for a modest fee, a share of Auntie Crapper's toilet fortune!" Either would be as good as the salvation that I could provide.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2010, 11:35 AM
Houston Intercont, Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2001
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam View Post
And you don't think that God is? I have been a Christian since my very early teens. I've had more answers to prayer than I really deserved. One example. in 1983 I lost my job because of the oil slump in Houston. My wife and I had had a small vacation planned, so we went on it. On the way back, I picked up my phone and called home to see if we had any messages on my house phone. There were two job offers, one a part time, and one a full time. Jobs were harder to get then in Houston than they are now. When I got home, I took both jobs. Another time when my faith really helped was when I was diagnosed with cancer. After prayer with my wife, I just felt everything was going to be alright. I have been cancer free for 15 years. And, a little over 12 years ago when I lost my first wife, I had the assurance that I would see her again. That helped me a lot. Everybody has the choice to believe or not. As for me, I think the choice is obvious.
mikefast is offline Find More Posts by mikefast