SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 16, 2010, 03:34 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer View Post
Looking at data for a specific state - Texas - the direct question asked of those polled queried whether man and dinosaurs coexisted. A frankly staggering 30%+ of those polled had that belief.
Of course, that's to be expected. The Paluxy river is in Texas.
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Aug 16, 2010, 03:39 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy View Post
Of course, that's to be expected. The Paluxy river is in Texas.
As indeed is the hoaxer Carl Baugh
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Aug 16, 2010, 03:41 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer View Post
As indeed is the hoaxer Carl Baugh
I've actually been there. As much as I'd like his speculations to be true, as far as I can tell, none of his stuff makes it to the level of Science.
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Aug 16, 2010, 05:20 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfaith1 View Post

I've worked churches for almost 3 years
What is meant by this phrase?
AA5BY is offline Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2010, 05:20 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
Maurice Cerullo will explain.........................
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Aug 16, 2010, 05:52 PM
Low, slow and dirty
maine
Joined Jan 2008
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
That's a load of BS. How about instead of collectively accusing all non-believers of being guilty, you specifically name the ones you are referring to and point out their statements. You won't because it's much easier to make a sweeping generalization that you don't have to actually prove.

Just following the rules.... All that can be said is if the shoe fits---wear it..
jumpinjo is offline Find More Posts by jumpinjo
Old Aug 16, 2010, 05:54 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpinjo View Post

I think non believers have a tiny doubt that if their wrong about evolution and it was creation. They will indeed pay the price for their arrogance! What does a judge usually say to a law breaker: "Ignorance is no excuse"..
I'm not going to generalize about other non-believers but will clarify my own non belief. As to a creator or supreme being, I'm agnostic because there is little in the way of evidence either way to either found belief or dispel it.

On the other hand when it comes to Christianity I'm atheist because there is ample evidence to discount it.

The implications are that in my thought at least, evolution might indeed be the handiwork of a creator superior being but because creator and Christianity are not mutually exclusive, Christian salvation doesn't even come into the mix because I've all ready discounted it.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AA5BY; Aug 16, 2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 06:02 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
Christianity is but 2000 years (and a bit...) old

The Planet Earth is a few more than that

Our Galaxy older still

The Universe - very very very old indeed

I wonder what'll have replaced Christianity ten times over as 'a notion' in say half a million years or so?
Old Aug 16, 2010, 06:08 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGINETORQUE View Post
Maurice Cerullo will explain.........................
Is that anything like trying to get an insurance salesman to support universal health coverage?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2010, 06:45 PM
Low, slow and dirty
maine
Joined Jan 2008
427 Posts
[QUOTE=Dusty1000;15801256]Thank you for your polite and factual reply.

Are you guys going to have a "GROUP HUG"...
jumpinjo is offline Find More Posts by jumpinjo
Old Aug 17, 2010, 04:32 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpinjo View Post
Are you guys going to have a "GROUP HUG"...
Stressed?

It's not uncommon, in conversation, to thank someone for their response. Personally I do it quite a bit. It's just part of a natural interaction between human beings involved in discussion, as a sign of politeness.

Now, I'm sorry for you if the terms of civil discourse cause you undue distress. It would appear that there may be an underlying cause, since it's a frequent occurrence to read you making outbursts and ranting posts, or strange non-sequiturs that criticise either individuals or groups of posters.

You might want to do something about that underlying cause. A healthy dose of self-examination, questioning why one might feel the need to make such posts, is always a good thing.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 05:52 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,422 Posts
Well, as mentioned some time ago I believe we are all 'believers' of something or other (even if it's a belief in Science etc).

I guess the general use of 'believer' here really means 'Christianity' - but that's really quite a narrow view when considering 'God' in the wider meaning.
Norman Adlam is offline Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Aug 17, 2010, 06:01 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam View Post
Well, as mentioned some time ago I believe we are all 'believers' of something or other (even if it's a belief in Science etc).

I guess the general use of 'believer' here really means 'Christianity' - but that's really quite a narrow view when considering 'God' in the wider meaning.
Indeed. Not a one of the self-proclaimed believers, would express belief in Thor,Zeus, Aphrodite, Ra or Osiris, to name but a few deities fro times past.

Personally I believe in humanity and have faith in my fellow man - for which there is an abundance of hard evidence for their existence, which can be looked at in a completely rational manner and which produces phenomena that are readily demonstrable and real

It's a different kind of faith, but one that I'm comfortable with keeping.

Billy Bragg -- I Keep Faith (Live) (4 min 19 sec)
Old Aug 17, 2010, 09:35 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
Like Billy - he's slightly left of Karl Marx but he's got the common touch and a brain
Old Aug 17, 2010, 09:49 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,664 Posts
Billy is nowhere near as far left as that, he's gradually working his way towards the Lib-Dem part of the spectrum in recent years.