SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 07, 2010, 07:49 PM
Figure Nine Champ
madsci_guy's Avatar
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer View Post
You only need to look at the use of various means of emphasising the points that are being made - bold text, big fonts, underlining. All absolutely classic symptoms, without even having to read the obvious exasperation in the words themselves.
I do that because when people skim my posts, this way they'll at least catch the main point. I thought of putting in pretty pictures to try to find some way to get their attention on what I'm saying rather than move goalposts, or erect strawmen, which is obviously only because they don't understand my posts, not because they're argumentative. Uh, oh! I just lost it and now I'm underlining!

Don't give up your day job of applying the "Scientific Method", to be a psychologist. But maybe Oprah has an opening. I hear Whoopi lost it just recently. You could help her, maybe.
madsci_guy is online now Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 07, 2010, 08:20 PM
On the Edge of Space
dLdV's Avatar
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,494 Posts
While I am not vouch-safed the revelation concerning religion, thanjking aboot GODD DOes noot mkae me USPET OR GET NARVOUS or makkke mmor mistooks!!!!
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 07, 2010, 09:19 PM
Suspended Account
Ohio
Joined Aug 2008
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam View Post
The idea that all the good deeds you do being counted towards your salvation, i.e. working towards your salvation, like the Big Man is keeping score!
That might be mans 'Idea' or yours, or even those you heard it from. But it doesn't work that way.
Metieval is offline Find More Posts by Metieval
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 07, 2010, 09:30 PM
Suspended Account
Ohio
Joined Aug 2008
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdirt View Post
ok then, how about this;
you are diagnosed with some kind of cancer. you pray and pray. for what, i don't know. after several bouts of chemo and maybe an operation, and many hours on your knees praying, the cancer goes into remission.

was it the praying that saved you or was it all the medical help? or could it be that your own body tried to heal itself.

how about the simple fact that everyone has a time to be born and a time to die. And no man knows when.

As far as being diagnosed with cancer.... I'd be praying for the strength to deal with it. And if it went away either from treatment or body healing itself. I'd still be praying and this time thanking God for helping me to bare the burden that was mine to carry.
It doesn't matter If I live or die from cancer. What matters is I don't reject God. My life is for Gods purpose, If I die from Cancer than so be it. But I also feel that I need to do, what I need to do, treatments, medication, diet, rest... etc out of obedience. Or if I feel directed to not undergo chemo... It all comes down to praying for answers, and listening.

I suppose Prayer like many things in life... People just won't understand until they have been there.

To relate it to this hobby, I don't really need a brushless to fly a plane. but a brushless makes it so much nicer
That is life and prayer to me.
Metieval is offline Find More Posts by Metieval
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 07, 2010, 09:53 PM
Not THAT Ira
Real Ira's Avatar
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer View Post
Btw it's probably worth pointing out, at this juncture, that it isn't the non-believers in this thread who are posting in a stressed manner
Just got back from my now 4 year old granddaughters birthday and have gone over all posts since my last and do not agree.
While there is a little tension in the air here it seems to me, thread starter and final arbiter that it is the non believers who are showing a higher level of stress. I base this on overall defensive attitude. (or at least my perception of it)
Real Ira is offline Find More Posts by Real Ira
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 07, 2010, 09:59 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
LcJ's Avatar
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Ira View Post
Just got back from my now 4 year old granddaughters birthday and have gone over all posts since my last and do not agree.
While there is a little tension in the air here it seems to me, thread starter and final arbiter that it is the non believers who are showing a higher level of stress. I base this on overall defensive attitude. (or at least my perception of it)
Well then if you do not agree with the other poster, you certainly must be in error. Inadvertenly of course, but in error never the less. But then since I have come to the same conclusion, we must both be wrong! or then perhpas correct.
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 07, 2010, 09:59 PM
St. Boondock
FL Knifemaker's Avatar
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Ira View Post
Just got back from my now 4 year old granddaughters birthday and have gone over all posts since my last and do not agree.
While there is a little tension in the air here it seems to me, thread starter and final arbiter that it is the non believers who are showing a higher level of stress. I base this on overall defensive attitude. (or at least my perception of it)
I would go as far as suggesting that the simple mention of something like this thread puts their panties in knot. Not a wad, not a bind, a total KNOT. Where is the left winger peace and love?? Gay Christians would probably be cut much more slack. Muslim gay Christians, if it was possible, would be given a holiday. It all comes down to simple respect for our fellow man and it just doesn't exist when this subject is brought up. Bash bash bash, ridicule and bash. Well done folks.
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 07, 2010, 10:04 PM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
Metieval,
i understand your point. i guess people need "prayers" as a crutch or a reason why. i'm not one of them.
btw, where do you get your answer(s) and who is talking to you? is it a conclusion you gather after the fact? are you absolutely sure you didn't answer your own questions?

as far as "bashing"...not really trying to do that. i'm just asking questions just as believers would ask me. whether they get "stressed" from my response has really nothing to do with me. i can not control others emotions. nor would i want to.
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 07, 2010, 10:07 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
LcJ's Avatar
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer View Post
It's a choice that could be offered to believers, especially those with a well documented total disain for science. They could be given the choice - prayer or chemo-therapy, waiting for a miracle or anti-biotics, in the case of infectious diseases. Maybe they could have the choice of 14th century remedies, or modern antibiotics developed as a response to growing resistance in bacterial strains.

They say that there are no atheists in foxholes, how many true believers in the power of prayer are there in pharmacies?
I know quite a few Christian Pharmacists that are also prayer warriors. Maybe they know how you feel and would rather not get tied up at the Apothecary in such long term discussion.

Ever read about the anointing of oil and prayer. Remember when Jesus mixed his spittle with dirt to place on a blind man's eyes? Two different worlds, but the same power of prayer is evident. I believe we do what we can, but healing is in the hands of God.
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 07, 2010, 10:11 PM
Registered User
United States, NC, Surf City
Joined Oct 2003
389 Posts
Maybe this really belongs in Humor, but I thought it just might lower the stress level here:

Judas Asparagus

If you need a laugh today, then this should do it!
A child was asked to write a book report on the entire Bible.
This is amazing and brought tears of laughter to my eyes.
I wonder how often we take for granted that children understand what we are teaching???

Through the eyes of a child:

The Children's Bible in a Nutshell

In the beginning, which occurred near the start, there was nothing but God, darkness, and some gas. The Bible says, 'The Lord thy God is one, but I think He must be a lot older than that.

Anyway, God said, 'Give me a light!' and someone did.
Then God made the world.
He split the Adam and made Eve. Adam and Eve were naked, but they weren't embarrassed because mirrors hadn't been invented yet.
Adam and Eve disobeyed God by eating one bad apple, so they were driven from the Garden of Eden.....Not sure what they were driven in though, because they didn't have cars.
Adam and Eve had a son, Cain, who hated his brother as long as he was Abel.
Pretty soon all of the early people died off, except for Methuselah, who lived to be like a million or something.
One of the next important people was Noah, who was a good guy, but one of his kids was kind of a Ham. Noah built a large boat and put his family and some animals on it. He asked some other people to join him, but they said they would have to take a rain check.
After Noah came Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Jacob was more famous than his brother, Esau, because Esau sold Jacob his birthmark in exchange for some pot roast. Jacob had a son named Joseph who wore a really loud sports coat.
Another important Bible guy is Moses, whose real name was Charlton Heston. Moses led the Israel Lights out of Egypt and away from the evil Pharaoh after God sent ten plagues on Pharaoh's people. These plagues included frogs, mice, lice, bowels, and no cable.

God fed the Israel Lights every day with manicotti. Then he gave them His Top Ten Commandments. These include: don't lie, cheat, smoke, dance, or covet your neighbor's stuff.
Oh, yeah, I just thought of one more: Humor thy father and thy mother.
One of Moses' best helpers was Joshua who was the first Bible guy to use spies. Joshua fought the battle of Geritol and the fence fell over on the town.
After Joshua came David. He got to be king by killing a giant with a slingshot. He had a son named Solomon who had about 300 wives and 500 porcupines. My teacher says he was wise, but that doesn't sound very wise to me.
After Solomon there were a bunch of major league prophets. One of these was Jonah, who was swallowed by a big whale and then barfed up on the shore.
There were also some minor league prophets, but I guess we don't have to worry about them.
After the Old Testament came the New Testament. Jesus is the star of The New. He was born in Bethlehem in a barn. (I wish I had been born in a barn too, because my mom is always saying to me, 'Close the door! Were you born in a barn?' It would be nice to say, 'As a matter of fact, I was.')
During His life, Jesus had many arguments with sinners like the Pharisees and the Democrats.
Jesus also had twelve opossums.
The worst one was Judas Asparagus. Judas was so evil that they named a terrible vegetable after him.
Jesus was a great man. He healed many leopards and even preached to some Germans on the Mount.
But the Democrats and all those guys put Jesus on trial before Pontius the Pilot. Pilot didn't stick up for Jesus. He just washed his hands instead.
Anyways, Jesus died for our sins, then came back to life again. He went up to Heaven but will be back at the end of the Aluminum. His return is foretold in the book of Revolution.
Bob HSG is offline Find More Posts by Bob HSG
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 07, 2010, 10:15 PM
Registered User
AA5BY's Avatar
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,319 Posts
After a little google searching of "penalties of sin", I confess that my head is spinning. I didn't know that there are three tenses of the phrase and after reading all about it, I still don't understand exactly what it is because there are at least four major connotations of the phrase... so pick the one that fits the circumstance?

Basically I took from the readings that it is being without God... for those who know, is that correct? Salvation = being with God? Made possible because God made a sacrifice of his son to cleanse the sins of those who accept him?
AA5BY is offline Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2010, 10:17 PM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
welcome to the conundrum of the Bible.
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 07, 2010, 10:17 PM
Not THAT Ira
Real Ira's Avatar
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
My Church humor donation.....

Donation
Father O'Malley answers the phone. 'Hello, is this Father O'Malley?'
'It is!'
'This is the IRS. Can you help us?'
'I can!'
'Do you know a Ted Houlihan?'
'I do!'
'Is he a member of your congregation?'
'He is!'
'Did he donate $10,000 to the church?'
'He will.'
Real Ira is offline Find More Posts by Real Ira
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 07, 2010, 10:28 PM
St. Boondock
FL Knifemaker's Avatar
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdirt View Post
welcome to the conundrum of the Bible.
No, welcome to the conundrum of tolerance. What's demanded for some sure heck isn't given to others.
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 07, 2010, 10:29 PM
Registered User
AA5BY's Avatar
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,319 Posts
sgtdirt... I've been following the conundrum trail a long time. Hebrews learned about life after death, not from God, but from Greek thought while in captivity.

The concept of hell is borrowed from pagan thought in the third century AD and added to Christian thought.

Both of these major players in modern Christianity are pagan in origin rather than from the God of the Hebrews or Christians.

Two more conundrums... eh.
AA5BY is offline Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AA5BY; Aug 07, 2010 at 10:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion In all fairness shouldn’t there be a Atheists Quote of the week popdada Life, The Universe, and Politics 120 Aug 16, 2010 03:16 PM
Question Speed 400 tailplane stresses? golem High Performance 2 Oct 11, 2009 10:22 PM
Discussion Atheists vs believers Viper Pilot Life, The Universe, and Politics 23 Jul 06, 2007 03:17 PM
Discussion Christian's and believers in God, sound off.. Tram Life, The Universe, and Politics 431 May 22, 2007 01:13 AM
Ideas? - Differential Equation for Stresses on the leading edge of a wing... Justin Jackson Modeling Science 1 Jul 27, 2003 06:06 PM