HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2010, 06:08 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metieval View Post
Which is fine....
although the Fact remains that disproving the other side doesn't make the arguers side any more correct.
Or for that matter offer any more overwhelming evidence.
True... both could be incorrect.

And... it seems to me that correctness is relative to individual taste and need, and in that sense, both could be correct while dissimilar.
AA5BY is online now Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2010, 06:36 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy View Post
It shouldn't. But anyone who uses Science must be aware of what the limitations are. It's just as silly to claim like Sagan did, that "God has nothing to do", as it is to say that "NASA has found Joshua's missing day". I hear about equal quantities of both misapplications of Science, and the scientists like Sagan, really should know better.
I agree the rules get set aside sometimes providing a backlash that encourages some to think science can't be trusted. Clerics probably blow some air on that ember.
AA5BY is online now Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2010, 08:55 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer View Post
Anyone demanding absolute proof from science simple does not understand how science actually works.

Proof is for lawyers, mathematicians and alcohol.
So science is the religion of looking, thinking, and looking some more and then postulating that which includes how you would have done it if you were God?
LcJ is online now Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:19 PM
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
United States, HI, Kapalua
Joined Jan 2002
1,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcJ View Post
So science is the religion of looking, thinking, and looking some more and then postulating that which includes how you would have done it if you were God?
No. If that is all you understand of science and the scientific method then I'd suggest you educate yourself.

There is no "religion" involved.
CoastalFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CoastalFlyer
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:26 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,255 Posts
I think everyone would enjoy watching this film --> LINK
Buzz_Man is online now Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
Old Aug 27, 2010, 11:11 PM
Suspended Account
Ohio
Joined Aug 2008
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalFlyer View Post
No. If that is all you understand of science and the scientific method then I'd suggest you educate yourself.

You haven't looked up the definition of religion lately huh?
Metieval is offline Find More Posts by Metieval
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 27, 2010, 11:57 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
Joined Mar 2003
5,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalFlyer View Post

Thank you professor Coastal. I believe it was in the 5th grade that I learned the scientific method. Then in graduate school I was exposed to The Structure of Scientific Revolutions by Thomas Kuhn. I'm sure you've read that.

Science is nothing more or less than observing all that has been created by God. Make of it whatever you will but there is nothing new under the Sun. I believe that statement from

Quote:
Ecclesiastes 1:9
The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.
was written long before the basic laws of physics, but is quite applicable. Amazing what the old folks knew isn't it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2010, 12:02 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
Joined Mar 2003
5,936 Posts
As hard as some try to keep God out of their world, there is no way they can keep themselves out of God's world.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2010, 12:05 AM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer View Post
. . . Proof is for lawyers, mathematicians and alcohol.
. . . and non-believers who constantly ask for the proof of God's existence.
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old Aug 28, 2010, 01:19 AM
Suspended Account
Ohio
Joined Aug 2008
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper Pilot View Post
maybe if they spent more time looking than .... well what they do

Question do you think they would spend this much time debating that Santa, or Ronald McDonald was fake?

Of all the Fake stuff and imaginary beings etc..... Why do they spend so much time belittling a God they say doesn't exist. How could something that doesn't exist get 100 pages. Yet all the other combined 'nothings' can't touch the energy levels this topic has.
Metieval is offline Find More Posts by Metieval
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 28, 2010, 03:05 AM
Scotland the Brave
United Kingdom, Scotland, Glasgow
Joined Mar 2008
1,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper Pilot View Post
There is plenty of rock hard evidence which proves that the Bible is wrong.

Can you show us any evidence whatsoever that even suggests that the Btble is correct?
Dusty1000 is online now Find More Posts by Dusty1000
Old Aug 28, 2010, 03:08 AM
Scotland the Brave
United Kingdom, Scotland, Glasgow
Joined Mar 2008
1,035 Posts
Quote:

Question do you think they would spend this much time debating that Santa, or Ronald McDonald was fake?
Oh yes, if someone thought that Santa or Ronald McDonald did exist, I would indeed be intrigued

Dusty
Dusty1000 is online now Find More Posts by Dusty1000
Old Aug 28, 2010, 03:13 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,650 Posts
Quote:
Nope. Your description has nothing to do with science.

For the avoidance of all doubt, I'll explain it, yet again.

Science cannot, does not, and will not, consider the existence or otherwise of any god or gods. By definition any such gods would be supernatural entities and science does not deal with that which is outside the natural universe.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Aug 28, 2010, 03:24 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,650 Posts
Quote:
maybe if they spent more time looking than .... well what they do

Well, speaking personally it's about six or seven years since I set foot inside a McDonalds and the McDonalds corporation don;t spend a great deal of time and energy trying to convonce me tat Ronald McDonald is real. Nor do they attempt to force schools to put stickers on their domestic science textbooks saying "Ronald McDonald considers that the contents of this book are only a theory".

Similarly Donner und Blitzen don't go door to door, spreaching fore and brimstone and eternal suffering. On the rare occasions that they pay their annual visit, all they want is a carrot and they take that, freely offered, very quietly, with the minimum of fuss. Their passenger makes do with a biscuit and small glass of sherry. Not very demanding of our time, or attention and not demanding any life changes. Most of all, there isn't a shred of piety involved.

Quote:
Of all the Fake stuff and imaginary beings etc..... Why do they spend so much time belittling a God they say doesn't exist. How could something that doesn't exist get 100 pages. Yet all the other combined 'nothings' can't touch the energy levels this topic has.
What's it to you if folks should choose to spend some of their time discussing subjects that interest them?

After all, look at the amount of discussion on Star Trek, Battlestar Glactica and various other bits of cringe-worthy cheezy science-fiction that engages some people. Vulcans, Klingons and Romulans don;t exist either, but they are subjects for discussion.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Aug 28, 2010, 03:40 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,546 Posts
Quote:
Thank you professor Coastal. I believe it was in the 5th grade that I learned the scientific method. Then in graduate school I was exposed to The Structure of Scientific Revolutions by Thomas Kuhn. I'm sure you've read that.

Science is nothing more or less than observing all that has been created by God. Make of it whatever you will but there is nothing new under the Sun. I believe that statement from

was written long before the basic laws of physics, but is quite applicable. Amazing what the old folks knew isn't it.
It's a shame that nuclear physics "created" the transuranium elements.
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards