HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2010, 04:19 PM
Joined Mar 2010
79 Posts
Discussion
PZ wildcat or pz t-28?

Hey guys,
So I am in the market for my first park flyer. I have been flying for a few months now and really enjoying it. I have only been flying ultra micros though, starting with the um j-3 cub, HBZ champ and currently the pz um p-51 (which I am really getting the hang of now). I am ready to move to something a bit larger for the days at the park and I think i have narrowed my choice to the wildcat and the t-28 because the habu looked a little bit too much for me.

What do you all think would be the next best plane and why?
Thanks for the input!
merx is offline Find More Posts by merx
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2010, 05:51 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,035 Posts
If you have a smooth runway without obstructions to land, the T-28, if it's going to be grass, the Wildcat.
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind
Old Aug 06, 2010, 07:20 PM
Joined Mar 2010
79 Posts
I think it will mainly be on grass I don't know if i trust myself enough to be flying on a hard surface everywhere.
The flight of the two planes are similar though?
Old Aug 07, 2010, 12:28 AM
United States, MI, Davison
Joined May 2010
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by merx View Post
I think it will mainly be on grass I don't know if i trust myself enough to be flying on a hard surface everywhere.
The flight of the two planes are similar though?
i haven't flown them but i believe the t-28 is slightly more aerobatic and has more power but not by much. i have heard the wildcat describe as the PZ mustang and t-28 put together as far as flight characteristics.

i would go with the wildcat first, then go with the t-28 later but thats just me.
AnbuPunk is offline Find More Posts by AnbuPunk
Old Aug 07, 2010, 03:29 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,035 Posts
The P-51 is just as easy to fly as the T-28. The P-51 is easier to CRASH as it will stall out on a slow turn. If you keep the throttle open on the turns, it's fine.

The T-28 will fly very slow, the p-51 will sink quick at slow speed.

I haven't flown the Wildcat, but my guess is that the stall speed is in between the p-51 and t-28.

Belly landings on grass is MUCH easier than using gear since a decent runway is a rare find.

The corsair may be the best option of all since it has landing gear and grass skids. And from reading reviews, it flies much like the T-28. If I were to start over, I would get the corsair as a first low-wing for these reasons.

Also, the T-28 and Corsair are designed to fit 1800-2200 batteries without any COG or fitment issues. The P-51 can easily be modified for these batteries, but the Wildcat will be a bit tricky to get the bigger batteries in and balance well.
Old Aug 07, 2010, 06:14 AM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
The Wildcat is significantly faster, even if you remove the gear from the T-28. Also it is a mid wing so it rolls on axis a little better. I think the Trojan is slightly easier to fly. The Wildcat works with anything from 1500 to 2200 mah batteries with not "COG or fitment issues" also.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
Old Aug 07, 2010, 06:35 AM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
I have flown the T-28 and currently own the Wildcat. I am an experience pilot and I love the Wildcat. It has a nice hard shell on the bottom for grass landings. It is quite capable of flying in a small park or baseball field. It looks great and it will go fast if you want it to. Like fmw said, you can use a wide range of batteries in this plane if you want to but I do want to mention that you can't ignore the Center of Gravity from one battery size to the next. I have min sitting here on the balancer. With a 1350 mAh 3s battery my plane has been balancing at 50mm from the leading edge of the wing. You want to balance the plane right side up since it is a mid wing. With a 2200 mAh 3s lipo the plane gets real nose heavy and falls off the balancer. Flight times with the 1350 mAh lipo are right at 6 min and she handles like she is on rails. Make sure that if you get this plane, to set up your control throws in your TX to the factory settings. It flies great and smooth with those settings.

Orion
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Aug 07, 2010, 11:03 AM
Joined Mar 2010
79 Posts
thanks all for the responses very good info. I think I am leaning toward the wildcat because of the belly landings and being able to fly in baseball field sized area. I forgot I will have so many options with the batteries, what's the stock plug type in pz park flyers?
Old Aug 07, 2010, 01:11 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,035 Posts
Quote:
thanks all for the responses very good info. I think I am leaning toward the wildcat because of the belly landings and being able to fly in baseball field sized area. I forgot I will have so many options with the batteries, what's the stock plug type in pz park flyers?
EC3, but hobbyking or LHS's have every adapter. I like Dean's but I am no good at soldering those joints. I like EC3 only because the are super easy to solder. I use both connectors and use adapters when needed.
Old Aug 07, 2010, 02:53 PM
Joined Mar 2010
79 Posts
I was thinking I could use my lipos from a mini e-revo so i would put on a traxxas head because they are the right size i believe, that'll save me a few bucks too
Old Aug 07, 2010, 03:11 PM
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Sep 2008
1,103 Posts
Another vote for the ParkZone Corsair. IMO this is the best looking plane of the bunch and the coolest looking plane in the air. You have the option of landing gear and or landing skids. It's very stable in the air with no wierd tendencies. I would spend the extra few bucks and get the corsair. You wont be disapointed.
Fidy$Trainer is offline Find More Posts by Fidy$Trainer
Old Aug 07, 2010, 06:13 PM
Joined Mar 2010
79 Posts
The corsair looks good but there is no bnf version which is kind of a bummer
Old Aug 08, 2010, 05:40 AM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
Quote:
The corsair looks good but there is no bnf version which is kind of a bummer
Just buy a receiver for it.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
Old Aug 08, 2010, 02:42 PM
Z-8
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2010
770 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys,
So I am in the market for my first park flyer. I have been flying for a few months now and really enjoying it. I have only been flying ultra micros though, starting with the um j-3 cub, HBZ champ and currently the pz um p-51 (which I am really getting the hang of now). I am ready to move to something a bit larger for the days at the park and I think i have narrowed my choice to the wildcat and the t-28 because the habu looked a little bit too much for me.

What do you all think would be the next best plane and why?
Thanks for the input!
If you can fly that squirrelly little UM Mustang, personally I would skip the Trojan and graduate to parkflyer #2. That obviously depends what you like and how much time you want to spend. Couple of suggestions:

If you have limited time:

Art Tech Pitts Special (RTF). In RTF form it is $100 less than an RTF Trojan, but a lot sexier, more aerbatic, and just as easy to fly in sport-mode if not easier. You can lower the price a little if you decline the TX/RX.

If you have a day or two and like building models:

Any of the Great Planes 40" to 50" aerobats (ARFs). These cost about the same as the Trojan but are pre-built balsa and ply kits. They are a class or two above PZ foamies in appearance, flying capability, power (at a similar price point), airframe strength, and ability to customize.
Z-8 is offline Find More Posts by Z-8
Old Aug 08, 2010, 05:37 PM
United States, MI, Davison
Joined May 2010
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-8 View Post
If you can fly that squirrelly little UM Mustang, personally I would skip the Trojan and graduate to parkflyer #2. That obviously depends what you like and how much time you want to spend. Couple of suggestions:

If you have limited time:

Art Tech Pitts Special (RTF). In RTF form it is $100 less than an RTF Trojan, but a lot sexier, more aerbatic, and just as easy to fly in sport-mode if not easier. You can lower the price a little if you decline the TX/RX.

If you have a day or two and like building models:

Any of the Great Planes 40" to 50" aerobats (ARFs). These cost about the same as the Trojan but are pre-built balsa and ply kits. They are a class or two above PZ foamies in appearance, flying capability, power (at a similar price point), airframe strength, and ability to customize.
i hear bad things about banana hobby but their deals are sooo tempting. im bored of my um p-51 and im also looking for something bigger and aerobatic. i have been lookin at the pz xtra 300 but we all heard the hoopla about that.
AnbuPunk is offline Find More Posts by AnbuPunk